Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I must leave my photography hobby behind ...

Re: I must leave my photography hobby behind ...

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I wish I could make a living at this (that would be a dream) but my skills haven't quite made it that far!

I think you are underestimating your skills but I understand your sentiment. It is easy to get boxed in to what you do for a living and not be able to pursue what you would really want to do. All the hobbies I have had, they never had the ability to be turned in to a profession that would pay me as much as I make doing what I do. It would be real sweet if that opportunity would ever present it self.

When your Passion is your Profession...you will be successful.

Denise, I feel for you. Been in the same situation. I will just echo a few other peoples sediments, don't do anything rash. Let the shock and grief wear off then decide what to do. John (neuro's) advice about not being able to look for a job 100% of the time and having something to keep your spirits up, it is very good advice.

Best of Luck

Denise,

I will echo those who have already responded.....you have an obvious love and passion for photography and you should consider using it as a way to carry on through adversity. Maybe not as a money maker, although you could probably make some income, but as a way to find some peace of mind and enjoyment in life. When a major life event like this happens you should take some time before making any major decisions. Take a little time to consider all your options, you possibly could make as much money using your gear as you could by selling it. At least wait a little while before you decide to totally dump everything. Your love, passion and talent for photography shouldn

Denise - how about using your photography passion to your advantage? For starters, maybe contact some local photogs, maybe they need help... You have the knowledge, you (still)have the kit...

Best of luck

Pete

Thank you so much guys! All of this is very, very good advice! I am just really overwhelmed right now since in 32 years of a working career, I have only been unemployed for one month and that was to my own choosing. I knew things were slow in land development but I still thought I held a position with the company that was secure from being let go. In fact, one of my (their) depts. is booming and they are hiring left and right. But one year ago to date, one of my bosses told me they wanted someone young for an adm. assistant and hired someone, had me teach her everything I knew and well ...now here I sit, unemployed! All of my years of construction & engineering office mgt./HR experience means nothing and her 2 years clerical experience means everything ....especially since she is a part time model (never paid) with photos on the web that probably wouldn

Sorry to hear your news. The advice already given is sound. Patience and catch your breath before making big decisions right now.

Denise, sorry to hear about the job situation. Experience is something most employers covet and I hope things turn around for you quickly. I can understand your thinking on selling all your gear, but take a couple days and assess your situation, then go from there. The advice that everyone has given, especially John, is good, sound advice. Photography is a good way to take your mind off things and your passion for it is evident in the photos you take. Wishing you all the best and I look forward to seeing you around these forums keeping us posted.

Jayson

Denise,

My heart aches for you. My prayer is that you find something soon.

I agree with others that you could go pro but would need a backup. I think you are too hard on yourself. You have a great eye and talent, however, relying on photography to put food on the table my diminish some of the love you have for it. Keeping you in our pryers.

Mark
    Mark

So sorry to read your news Denise. I sincerely hope you find another job soon. As you can see, you definitely have a ton of support to back you on this new path. And certainly DON

Gees that
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thank you! This is bad ...really bad, what with the economy and job market ...plus I