Thread: 50D/40D Shutter life

50D/40D Shutter life

I bought a used 50D. Since I bought it, I've taken over 64K photos. I can't yet access the camera's shutter count--I need to upgrade the OS on my Mac. Sometime next Spring, I should go over 100K, the specced life of the shutter. Does anyone have actual experience with the 50D (or 40D, for that matter) shutter life?

1. How long did it last?

2. What were the symptoms of impending problems?

3. If you got it repaired, what was the cost? Canon won't give me an estimate over the phone, as they have to examine the camera, but a major repair is at least $290 + shipping. (The rep said that shutters are usually more.) They said the repair would take about 2 weeks.

I have a 30D I can use while the 50D is out for repair, but I really don't know the shutter count on it, either.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Re: 50D/40D Shutter life

I had a 40D before it was stolen and had over 70K on it. the 40/50 is rated for 100K but should go over that.

Shutter failure with begin with loss in the high speeds - 1/2000 and greater. Actual shutter failure is pretty dramatic and just happens with either curtains not closing/opening, bands of light across the image (this happened to my colleague)

Cost, can

Re: 50D/40D Shutter life

My 40d has over 140k frames taken on it and the shutter seems to be working fine still. The 100k shutter life is more of an estimate than a guarantee, I