Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed Once Again ...this time on camera bodies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice Needed Once Again ...this time on camera bodies

Good Morning, All!

At some point down the road, I may need to sell my 7d. Hopefully, I will be able to still use some of the $ toward another DSLR. I probably wouldn't get much for my 7d. Even though it is only a year and a half old, I tend to be clicker happy so the actuations are probably pretty high. The good thing is it still as of now, has 2 and a half years left of aBest Buy warranty on it.

Anyway, I don't know if and when I would need to put any adivice given into action but I was wondering ...what should I be looking at? I am on FM buy & sell constantly lately keeping an eye out for "WTB" ads and "FS" ads. I see a great deal of older models available for less than $1000. I just don't know if I should be looking at 5d's or 1dII's. I do tend to crop a great deal so I don't know how low of mp's I could get away with without it hurting the results of the photo or if I were to EVER sell something larger than a 5 x 7 (heck, I'd be happy at this point with selling a 5x 7)!

I owned a Rebel and sold it shortly thereafter because I just couldn't adapt to the small size and slowness of it ...I constantly was getting a "busy" signal ...remember, I get clicker happy

I am going to hold onto my 7d for as long as possible but dont' want a "good deal" to pass me buy either. I think the only lens I own that is for 1.6 is my Tamron but I am not sure. I could sell that if need be. But then again, I have been looking out for a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and/or a Sigma 30mm so I don't want to get too carried away with buying lenses that won't be compatible. OMG ...I hope my Sigma 70mm macro isn't just for a 1.6 crop I will have to look ...I love my 70mm!

On top of everything else, I have come down with a horrible flu bug ...so I am pretty foggy-brained at the moment!

Any advice for my future decisions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Advice Needed Once Again ...this time on camera bodies

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I probably wouldn't get much for my 7d

I agree. I was trying to sell my used 7D on FM for $1180(2year old 25k-30k clicks) without any response. so I sold my new 7D for $1350 instead.

I would not mind to use a rebel if I don't shoot a lot of moving objects otherwise I will try at least have a XXD.

good luck Denise!

But then again, I have been looking out for a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and/or a Sigma 30mm so I don't want to get too carried away with buying lenses that won't be compatible. OMG ...I hope my Sigma 70mm macro isn't just for a 1.6 crop

The Sigma 70mm macro and 50mm f/1.4 are compatible with FF. The 30mm f/1.4 is a DC lens, meaning APS-C only.

I do tend to crop a great deal so I don't know how low of mp's I could get away with without it hurting the results of the photo

Given that, reducing your MP count at the same time as reducing or eliminating the 'crop factor' seems like a one-two punch on IQ.

I'd say your best bet would be a used 50D - you keep live view and AFMA, similar ergonomics, still 1.6x crop, APS-C-only lens compatibility, and only lose 3 MP.

Good luck!

Thanks, John! I never even looked closely at the details of the 50D. I will check it out and most definitely keep it in mind if & when the time comes to make a switch. In the meantime, I can watch the used price range of what people are posting it for and I know I would be safe still looking at less expensive APS-C lenses.

Denise

Thanks, John! I never even looked closely at the details of the 50D. I will check it out and most definitely keep it in mind if & when the time comes to make a switch. In the meantime, I can watch the used price range of what people are posting it for and I know I would be safe still looking at less expensive APS-C lenses.

Denise

If you decide to takes John's advice about the 50D I have one I would trade you for your 7D plus I add cash for the difference. It probably has similar amount of use that yours has, it is 2 1/2 years old and is just a backup camera now. It is a good camera.

I can tell you though, switching to the older bodies your going to take a hit in IQ that will be noticeable to you. With the 50D I could get 8x10 size prints that were very nice. I had a harder time with the larger prints. But then that was when I was first starting out (limited skills) and I didn't have nearly as good of glass. The 50D's frame rate is slower but it isn't to slow in my opinion. It has an AF system similar to the 5D's and of course no video. You will miss the 7D's AF system as well, but this will be true on all the older bodies.

Good Luck with everything.

Or a 60D, the AF is supposed to slightly better and you still get the great IQ of the new Canon sensor. The two biggest downside is it

older models available for less than $1000. I just don't know if I should be looking at 5d's or 1dII's. I do tend to crop a great deal so I don't know how low of mp's I could get away with without it hurting the results of the photo or if I were to EVER sell something larger than a 5 x 7 (heck, I'd be happy at this point with selling a 5x 7)!

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I recently baught a 1DmkIIN from KEH. It has about 16,000 clicks on the shutter. DxOMark rates it equal to the 7D.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/0728.Untitled_2D00_1.jpg[/img]

Pros: auto focus, shutter speed/frame rate, larger sensor, better low light ISO performance, sealed

Cons: heavy, 8MP, no micro-adj, do not work with EF-S.

I have enlarged prints as big as 24x30 from a ~6MP file and they look great.

Here is a 100% crop. Not as sharp as I would like but I think it is because the kitty moves soo fast.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/1362.IMG_5F00_0006_2D00_100.jpg[/img]

Mark
    Mark

Thanks, HD for the offer on the 50d. I will keep it in mind as I rack my brain trying to figure out what to do next.

Fast Glass - Nobody can argue with the fact that your photos have top notch IQ so that camera is something to consider.

Mark - It always boggles my mind the fantastic IQ that you are able to capture with 8MP! I have many times considered this camera based on photos you shot using it!

I will look more closely at the bodies suggested over the coming days. Thank you for all of the suggestions and pointing out the pros and cons of each!

Denise

Just keep in your mind that the latest rumors are that the 7D will be replaced first half 2012.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid

Just keep in your mind that the latest rumors are that the 7D will be replaced first half 2012.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Meaning I assume that the resale price of my 7d will probably go down when that is introduced?