Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

From CR

The EOS-1D X & f8

www.canonrumors.com/.../the-eos-1d-x-f8
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I love it. Photographers have been making fun of "face detect" autofocus for years, and now Canon is replacing their much loved f/8 autofocus with face detect (among other things). Personally, I like face detect, but I be it

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. But the way I read this the 1D IV will only use one point with an F8 lens

Taken from my 1D IV manual

Maximum f/stop: f/5.6 or f/8

With f/5.6 lenses, all the AF points will be horizontal-line sensitive only. With f/8 lenses, AF will be possible with the center AF point being horizontal-line sensitive only. AF will not work with the other AF points.

If that is the case, tracking with a 2x extender in servo mode will be extremely hard without support points.

After thinking about this somewhat, if I had to use the new 1D X with the kit I have now, it wouldn't matter if it wouldn't focus with an F8 combination. The reason is that the I have never found the image quality out of the 2x extender on the 500mm L to be acceptable. That 500mm L is the only lens I would even consider using the extender on any way, no other combination in my kit would I ever need to get to F8, it is only when you get to the longest lens does it become a factor.

If the IQ out of then new supertele's do not live up to the hype, and the new 2x converters just are not that much better, it is not going to be a big factor for the 1D X for me. If I can get acceptable image quality out of them it might be.

The amount of people that no F8 point will matter to will be a very small number.

Of course there are allot of lenses I do not have that others do, but by the time you get to the point you buy a $7,000 camera your kit will probably have very good glass in it and F8 is not going to be that big of a factor..... Glass before Body....

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    But the way I read this the 1D IV will only use one point with an F8 lens

That's right. And the precision and speed are not very high either. But it works. (I only tried it on the 1D3.)

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

The amount of people that no F8 point will matter to will be a very small number...by the time you get to the point you buy a $7,000 camera your kit will probably have very good glass in it and F8 is not going to be that big of a factor

It depends on what you consider important. Last year, on top of a mountain in New Hampshire, I ran into Lillian Stokes (who's pictures fill a popular birding guide), and she mentioned that although she has a very nice 500mm f/4L IS, most of her shooting on her 1D IV is done with a 300mm f/4L IS and a 2X TC, because the combo gets her close to 800mm-equivalent, has AF, and is light enough to carry on hikes up to mountaintops.

Here is something interesting about the AF systems. This picture was shot with the 50D and a100-400mm Lens with an off brand 2x extender. The exif data says that it was shot at 400mm at F9. In reality I was fully extended so it should have been F11. I guess the camera didn't noitce, but it focused just fine.

It makes me wonder, reading the link above when it says it will not focus with lenses it reads as F8.....if at least the old bodies they can't be fooled in to doing it.

Not to bad for a camera that isn't supposed to AF with an F/11 combination. You can read the exif data on the site, the camera didn't have a clue what the real settings were.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]

John

I didn't say there none, but I guess you will always run in to a few on top of the mountain :-P

After dragging my 500mm around all the time, I can really understand the logic....

Rick, the reason your turkey shot autofocused was not the body, it was the 3rd party TC. Many of them don

One of the things I am curious about moving foward is what Canon will do to fill the price points for different camera bodies. From what I have seen, Canon tends to try to offer products at every price point and if the 1D IV is dropped, there is going to be a huge hole between $2,500 and $6,800. And, to look at it another way, there is only one camera between $1,600 and $6,800, the 5D II. I think they will eventually have at least two camera bodies in that range. But hopefully Canon will design their features to fill distinct niches (no more of one body canabolizing the sales of another) and make everyone, including the birders, happy.

My quick guess, a 30+ MP body in the $4k range....and a basic FF body in the $2.5k range. A slight fear I have is that they elevate the 7D into a $2.5k price range and it becomes the second body.

Just some random speculation......

Taping the pins on the Canon TC may help too, although I have never had an instance where this was necessary.

Does anyone know if Live View one point Contrast detection would work with the 1DX at f/8 or smaller? I was thinking it may work on a tripod for small stationary birds but I