Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

OMG!

I'm so excited! Congratulations to Canon! Finally a full frame, high frame rate professional body that can compete with Nikon.

12 fps seems like a nice jump in frame rate from 5 fps on Canon's other FF pro body (1Ds MK III).

Hopefully it will live up to it's billing with it's larger pixel size, lower noise, and better low light AF. I can't wait for Bryan's Review.

I'm also hopeful that this camera can produce a clean shot at 12,800 ISO @ f/2.8 and 1/1000sec which would be perfect for indoor sports and outdoor night games. I'm really only looking for a 1 stop improvement over the 1D-MK IV, but a 2 stop improvement would be the bomb.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101810canoneos1dx.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview

Let the games begin,

Rich

EOS-1D-X in use fromCanon Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjFZN0fO5M&feature=feedu

Rich

Did I miss the price?

$6800 is what I
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    You have all the speed of the 1D IV plus more, but you loose your 1.3 crop. Sports and wildlife photographers can over come that sure, with all the new lighter tele's they can just step up to the next longer lens. So much for the weight advantage.

I love having a FF speed camera but losing 1.3 crop means I don't the logest focal length with AF like the 1D IV. What weight advatage do you mean? A loner lens with 1.6 or 1.3 means a slower lens, if you want reach and low light you need either a heavy lens or better ISO performance.Canon did both so I don't see a problem, exceptfor the AF thing I metioned. YesI can put a7D with a 600mm f/4 but I get a affective960mm f/6.3, not a 960mm f/4. You can't get both without enhancing the noise performance ofthe camera.

I don't see 18mp vs 21mp being a huge downgrade in resolution, both being FF I don't think most people doing13"x19" or lesswill notice a big differance.

At first I thought that theCR predicted $7,000 price tag was high but thinking that the 1Ds III is $6,500 and if Daniels theory is correct MP are not real expensive to makebut sensor size is, counting that it's actually about there. The D3s is a5 grand FF but it's not even close to the 1D X specs wise, wewill see how the real life performace stacks up to the hype in due time.

For me this might be a happy mediem between speed and a general camera,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    What weight advatage do you mean?

I was refering to the new supertele's that are all lighter than the old version. I had thought that if a fast 1Ds IV came out I could always replace my 500mm with the new 600mm and not keep the 1D IV. The weight of the new600mm is almost identical to the old 500mm.

I don't see 18mp vs 21mp being a huge downgrade in resolution, both being FF I don't think most people doing13"x19" or lesswill notice a big differance.

But I do like to print 13 x 19, and you would notice if you tend to crop allot. That is not to say the new 18mp will not be better than the old 21mp, it just runs contrary to the old marketing ploy that more is better. Maybe the plan from Canon is to get rid of the 1D IV and move the 5D series up a step where it is the ultimate still subject camera. Who knows, maybe they are doing away with the old separation of either picking a fast camera or one with the best IQ.

For me this might be a happy medium between speed and a general camera,

But, if they are going to give us one camera that is top of the line. Shouldn't it give us the best of all world's?

It will be interesting to see how the reviews come in.

Rick

I think it would serve me perfectly. By the specs it looks absolutely amazing. I will probably never own one though, but luckily I haven't outgrown my camera just yet

What I do miss is USB 3 capability. Especially with 2 CF cards it would take ages to download it to the pc if you have large cards.

But I do like to print 13 x 19, and you would notice if you tend to crop allot.

If you tend to crop a lot, you'd better look for a longer lens or frame better the first time...right? :P I guess a lot of Nikon photographers have printed big prints with just 12MP as well, so it is possible.

Jan

I'm still working through my thoughts on the 1D X. On the surface, it seems great - that's coming from someone with a 7D and 5DII, and hoping for something that's a blend of the two, but remains FF. My main issue with the 5DII is the relatively weak and pretty outdated AF system - and that gets a major bump compared to the 5DII in terms of performance but also in terms of area coverage, and even compared to the current 1-series bodies (although the relative spread of the AF points is slightly smaller than on the 1D IV).

I am surprised that they went down from the 21 MP of the 1DsIII/5DII, but I'm not really bothered by the loss of 3 MP, especailly because the 1D X will be the first FF sensor to use gapless microlenses.

Overall, it's an impressive spec list. The ergonomics are nice as well, I particularly like the addition of a second multicontroller/joystick for portrait orientation. The low-light AF performance is also better - a 1-stop bump in sensitivity over the 1D IV, able to focus at EV -2 (equivalent to the light of a full moon).

One of my favorite features - AF Microadjustment (user tip in progress) - is getting enhanced. In the 1D X, adjustment is tied to a lens serial number, nice for people with more than one copy of a lens. But most importantly, the<span>1D X will store two adjustment values for zoom lenses, so it's possible to make separate adjustments for the wideangle and telephoto ends. I wonder if it will 'blend' the adjustments for intermediate focal lengths...

<span>I also like that it's getting the 7D's transmissive LCD for the viewfinder. The C-modes get a tweak - if you change a setting in a C-mode, the 1D X can automatically re-register it, so you don't lose the alteration if the camera goes into standby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    It's got less MP than 1Ds3, 5D2, and less pixels on-target than 1D4. Doesn't sound like a good birding camera much at all. I'll keep my 7D for that.

Agreed - I would see this as a replacement for my 5DII, not for my 7D. But, I will mention that Rick (HDNitehawk) owns 5DII, 7D, and more recently a 1D IV, and has commented that the loss of effective focal length going 1.6x to 1.3x was more than trumped by the improved AF and ISO performance of the 1D IV, and that became his camera of choice for birds. When I was out shooting with my 7D and 100-400mm yesterday, I was under a large tree and close enough to a female downy woodpecker than she filled the frame at 400mm...but the light was so dim I was at ISO 3200, and I suspect a clean ISO 12800 with some cropping would have yielded better shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    All the AF sensors talk about is f/5.6, i haven't seen any mention of autofocus working at f/8 like the current 1D* (although it had better, or there'll be more annoyed people, just not mentioned)
    <div>

Indeed, and I've looked carefully for that. It's not a trivial issue - the loss of a crop factor for sport/wildlife shooters means some will hope to compensate by using a TC, and be counting on limited AF with an f/5.6 lens plus a 1.4x TC.

But I think the center AF point will retain functionality at f/8, like the other 1-series bodies. The specs do seem to indicate that not all of the five f/2.8-sensitive diagonal cross-type sensors are the same ("One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8...The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens."). So, presumably the diagonal part of center AF point is enhanced relative to the other four f/2.8 points, and hopefully non-diagonal part is enhanced as well, for use at f/8.
    </div>
    <div>

A longer lens with 1.6 or 1.3 means a slower lens, if you want reach and low light you need either a heavy lens or better ISO performance. <span>YesI can put a7D with a 600mm f/4 but I get a affective960mm f/6.3, not a 960mm f/4.
    </div>

Not exactly...keep in mind that crop factor affects aperture in terms of DoF only, not exposure - so, your 600mm f/4 on 1.6x has the framing and DoF of a 960mm f/6.3 lens, but would deliver the same exposure at f/4 on crop and FF. While DoF depends on sensor size and ISO noise depends on total light hitting the sensor, exposure is determined by light per unit area meaning a cropped sensor is no different than FF in terms of shutter speed for a given aperture.

What weight advatage do you mean?

I was refering to the new supertele's that are all lighter than the old version. I had thought that if a fast 1Ds IV came out I could always replace my 500mm with the new 600mm and not keep the 1D IV. The weight of the new600mm is almost identical to the old 500mm.

It's actually much worse for someone with a 300mm f/2.8L IS. <span>The problem is, to get the same framing you had on your 1D IV with the new 1D X, you need a 400mm f/2.8 instead, and even though the Mk II version of that lens 28% lighter than it's own predecessor, it's still50% heavierthan the 300/2.8 MkI, and a whopping 64% heavier than the 300/2.8 II.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson
    I am looking forward to upgrading and hopefully I can either get that one in a good price range or grab someone's mk II used. John you selling?

Probably...but certainly not until March, 2012. Unless I buy a 500mm f/4L IS II instead...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

One of my favorite features - AF Microadjustment (user tip in progress) - is getting enhanced.

Neuro- I don't mean to go off topic, but I'm super excited to see your article on this. I have yet to take advantage of that with my 7D. So I'll ask one question and leave it at that on this thread, I have been considering purchasing the LensAlign MKII Focus Calibration System (Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747316-REG/LensAlign_LA_LA2_LensAlign_MkII_Focus_Calibration. html) for that purpose. Do you see any advantages to this system over the cheaper SpyderLensCal system? Or should I save my money and buy Datacolor product? I know there are home made solutions out there, but I would much rather purchase a ready made system and get it right the first time. Hell, maybe I'll just start a new thread or shoot you a PM if you don't mind. (?)
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco
    maybe I'll just start a new thread or shoot you a PM if you don't mind. (?)

No PM, Please---I am really interested in This as well---can't wait for Johns "Tips"---Start a new thred is my vote

Bob