Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

No PM, Please---I am really interested in This as well---can't wait for Johns "Tips"---Start a new thred is my vote

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_gear1/f/9/p/6422/60733.aspx#60733
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco
    It seems that the X is for the roman numeral 10, because it's the tenth generation of 1D bodies.

Thanks Rocco, I hadn't thought of that. But I must be missing a camera body because I count 8 1D bodies including the sequential three 1Ds and the five (including 1D IIN) from the 1D series.

A few pics from the 1D x:

cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/index.html

They are pretty small, but it seems to me where this camera can really set itself apart will be with DR and ISO performance. So, I am looking forward to the pictures and reviews to see what it is really capable of producing. Not that I'll ever own one. But the "new" sensor may be technology that filters down to people like me.

I think they're including the F1 from the 70's. Guess I should have said it's the tenth generation Pro series body.

Edit: yup, there it is--

<span><span style="color: #888888;"]"Chuck Westfall:

• X for extreme (X-treme) performance
    • X for cross-over (X-over), since this represents the merging of Canon's two pro digital SLR cameras, the higher-resolution EOS-1Ds Mark III and higher-performance EOS-1D Mark IV, into a single next-generation model
    • The Roman numeral X, as in 10, because the EOS-1D X represents the 10th generation of pro-class SLR from Canon since the F-1 debuted in 1971"

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Sample images from Canon Japan: cweb.canon.jp/.../index.html. Up to ISO 12800. (too bad they're not larger)

Another fps video, this one from the New Zealand launch party. The shot of the mirror during max fps without a lens is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYxsi1L5cRM

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Not exactly...keep in mind that crop factor affects aperture in terms of DoF only, not exposure - so, your 600mm f/4 on 1.6x has the framing and DoF of a 960mm f/6.3 lens, but would deliver the same exposure at f/4 on crop and FF. While DoF depends on sensor size and ISO noise depends on total light hitting the sensor, exposure is determined by light per unit area meaning a cropped sensor is no different than FF in terms of shutter speed for a given aperture.

But, if the 1DX has the claimed two-stops improvement in ISO noise, it's still a win. For instance, the framing and DoF from 400mm f/2.8 on a 1D-IV would be matched by a ~500mm f/4 on a 1D-X. To get the right exposure, due to the drop in aperture, we'd bump the ISO by one stop, but no matter - the 1DX still has one stop of noise improvement in hand. Usefully, the 500mm lens is also $1000 cheaper and 20% lighter.

F1, F1-n or new-F1, EOS-1, Eos-1n, Eos-1V was the fifth.

1D/Ds, 1D2/Ds2/D2n, 1D3/Ds3, 1D4, 1DX makes ten.

It's a bit of a tenuous link and depends how you count them. But if canon's marketers can convince that 21-&gt;18MP is a good thing, they can convince us that the 1Dx is the tenth model, even though I count 15 separate models...

What i'm most interested in was the line about "you can easily upscale resolutions if 18MP isn't enough" somewhere on the 10-page product overview I read.

Am I right if i interpret that as a RAW-conversion thing? ie, instead of an 18MP RAW converted to 18MP jpg or tiff, then upscaled to (say) a 27MP (which would make it blocky), maybe DPP would get an 18MP RAW and convert it to a 27MP jpg or tiff? Seeing as the RAW conversion involves interpolating colours missing from the bayer mask, maybe we can interpolate pixels from between the sensor-sites better at conversion-time?

Still, the proof will be in the pudding. mmm, pudding. Until we can take identical photos with the same lens with a 5D2 and 1Ds3 and print them all side-by-side, there's going to be a few sceptics out there...

(make it a nikon lens with a $5 ebay adapter, and we can test them all alongside the D3x and D4/D800 as well)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    Still, the proof will be in the pudding. mmm, pudding. Until we can take identical photos with the same lens with a 5D2 and 1Ds3 and print them all side-by-side, there's going to be a few sceptics out there...

I wouldn't think you need the 5D II in the mix to prove it to the skeptics. If it beats the 1Ds III the 5D II isn't going to do any better.

But this is on the website as a description of the sensor:

<span>"Canon has a long history in designing and building its own CMOS sensors, so the full-frame sensor found in the EOS-1D X is an evolution of the sensor found in the EOS-1D Mark IV that incorporates the latest advances in photodiode construction technologies."

<span>So they say they are using an "evolved" 1D IV sensor. Which got me thinking, is it the same sensor just up sizedandmore mp? But, it can't be since the 1D IV would have a pixel density 30% higher than the new 1D X.

<span>My first thought after reading Canon's description is to take my 1D IV and compare crops against my 5D and see how they compare. But then, I think Canon's statement may be miss leading and the sensors may not be that similar at all.

I am going back to my firmware conspiracy theory on this one.........

Canon cameras are limited in ability by firmware and processors more than sensor technology. Perhaps Canon knowing this, has put a downgraded sensor in the new 1D X so it can be faster and they have overcome the cheaper sensor by improving the firmware and putting faster processors to take up the difference in speed necessary for the new firmware.

Were just sheep lead to the B&amp;H feeding trough, and we eat up the latest and greatest new Canon camera release. In the end it doesn't matter how they made their improvements. They still taste great. (I blame my psychosis on my 9th grade civics teacher, who for 6 weeks read to us daily the book Animal Farm)

This 1DX has some nice new features, but I think they really dropped the ball on resolution. In focal-length limited situations, the old 1D4 will have 16 MP compared to just 10 MP in this new one. And the 7D will have 18 MP compared to just 7 MP in this new 1DX. I think it would have been a lot better to make it 30 MP (at say, 4 FPS) with an 18 MP 1.3X crop mode (12 FPS).

Nikon has been ahead of Canon in a lot of ways, ever since the D3. I think when Nikon comes out with the D4 (probably some time before the 1DX), it

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fG018tmMc]

Doesn't say if they're using the 12fps in RAW or JPG or the 14fps in JPG, but that's a 50 image buffer before it slows down...

(also, they're in ISO51200, that could be slowing processing speed down)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Canon cameras are limited in ability by firmware and processors more than sensor technology. Perhaps Canon knowing this, has put a downgraded sensor in the new 1D X so it can be faster and they have overcome the cheaper sensor by improving the firmware and putting faster processors to take up the difference in speed necessary for the new firmware.

I'd take a 36MP sensor at 6fps any day over this, if the prices and relative pixel sizes were the same...
    Gear Photos

@Daniel - 30 MP FF with slower fps plus 18 MP 1.3x crop mode was *exactly* what I was thinking for a merged 1Ds and 1D line. IMO, for a 1DsIII owner, this seems like a decent upgrade, unless you are in the rare sub population for whom 21 MP is limiting, because you print on billboards intended to be viewed from 10 feet or some such. But, for 1D IV owners, 10 MP equivalent pixels on target doesn