Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

The other issue with photos for news (esp. wrt. sports) is that they can only have very small amounts of work done on them, as such, reducing noise at the sensor is a great idea, especially with the Olympics coming up, and London being not exactly the brightest city.

I envy you guys. I can only join in the speculation.. and hope that some of the tech trickles down to a body in a price point I can afford.

I have decided that this coming tax return season I'm 1: building a new computer (with IPS Panel monitor!) and 2: selling the 17-55mm and buying the 16-35mm L and 50mm L, getting rid of the EFS glass in preparation for upgrading my body to full frame during the 2013 tax season.

I know it does no good to speculate about an unconfirmed product release based on rumor, but I cannot see how canon can afford to not release another 5D by 2013. Demand has to come first before a company will produce something to fill that demand. I think that the demand for a mk3 is definitely there. Depending on how things stand, I'll have a mk2 or mk3.. still not sure if I'll decide to hang on to my 7d by then.

The 1D X is pretty damn impressive to me being a 7d user, But I know that I'll have the 7d for at least another 17 months, and I'm not disappointed by that fact in the least. (Cannot WAIT to get the 1.2!)
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    The issue I have with that example is that now you are talking about different amounts of light - 1DX+300/2.8+2x is f/5.6, 7D+300/2.8+1.4x is f/4.

Actually it's the same amount of light, you are not counting the affects of the 7D extending the focal length. Yes your exposure is f/4 but instead of loosing exposure you increase noise proportionately. You cannot have the same effective focal length with the same iris diameter and still have the same f number, whether I get there with a extender or crop the image with a smaller sensor. It's cropping either way and has the same affects to DoF and noise. If you take a look at Bryans 7D and 5D II noise crops you will findthat the 5D II is about 1 1/3 stops better.

Yeah, that would be very nice! Still, why do you need 36 MP?

A. Big prints.

B. Higher pixel density so I still have the ultimate birding camera as well as the ultimate landscape and sports body.

Cheers,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

The issue I have with that example is that now you are talking about different amounts of light - 1DX+300/2.8+2x is f/5.6, 7D+300/2.8+1.4x is f/4.

Actually it's the same amount of light, you are not counting the affects of the 7D extending the focal length. Yes your exposure is f/4 but instead of loosing exposure you increase noise proportionately. You cannot have the same effective focal length with the same iris diameter and still have the same f number, whether I get there with a extender or crop the image with a smaller sensor. It's cropping either way and has the same affects to DoF and noise. If you take a look at Bryans 7D and 5D II noise crops you will findthat the 5D II is about 1 1/3 stops better.

Sorry, but last time I checked, a smaller sensor didn't make my lens longer - it merely sampled less light from the image circle. Any way you look at it, an f/5.6 lens (whether native or with a TC) passes only half as much light as an f/4 lens. You can increase ISO to compensate, but you're not making more light, merely further amplifying the signal. Total light gathered determines noise, light per unit area determines exposure.

Yeah, that would be very nice! Still, why do you need 36 MP?

A. Big prints.

B. Higher pixel density so I still have the ultimate birding camera as well as the ultimate landscape and sports body.

Makes sense, and that's also why I'd want more MP...but in many ways (FF, no AF at f/8) the 1D X is clearly not an ultimate birding camera.

Part of my post got cut off for some reason, here is the missing part.

If you could use a 1.6x extender on the 5D II you would loose about 1 1/3 stops of light on say the 300mm f/2.8. B

If you used the 7D bare your exposure is the same but the noise is 1 1/3 stops worst. Now the 7D has slightly better sensor technology but it is less than 1/3 stop. Whats more important is the 7D can AF at a longer focal length. Thats where the 1D IV has the advantage because it will AF at f/8 and has a 1.3 crop factor so you can autofocus at the longest focal length of any camera body by Canon. The solution for the 1D X would be to AF at f/11, but that still has its disadvatages.

But with the 800mm f/5.6 on a FF and extenders the reach is still very good and if you get close enough you can achieve better IQ with increased speed, AF, ex with the 1D X. But that is one very expensive setup!

Cheers,

John.

This camera is sweet but when the 5D III comes out I

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Now I will never buy a 1D, not because I can&rsquo;t afford it, but because I don&rsquo;t deserve it (see some of my pictures). But when Bryan does his review there are some things that I would like to know about.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]GPS<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-size: 11pt; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]I Geotag all of my images, have found it invaluable. There are currently five GPS<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"] systems either in operation, planned or under development. US, Russia, China, India and EU (where has the trust gone?). Is the Canon GPS designed for only one system, as some newer GPS units offer US &amp; Russia (one manufacturer said that they will provide the EU system when completed, so that will be 3 systems in the one unit). Also what is the time to acquire the satellites (can be a pain to wait minutes) and how sensitive is it (inside a building). If this is based on one of the smart phone GPS units,users will hate it. Using the GPS on my smart phone outside, has me in the next street and when inside my house, I&rsquo;m lost.<span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-size: 11pt; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]As I understand it when the phone users the cell phone towers they are very accurate. <span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-size: 11pt; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]I current don&rsquo;t use the cell towers due to tracking (bad Google).
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Body Transfer speed<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]While the Rob Galbraith site does occasionally do some testing on this subject, I always thought it was directed at finding to fastest cards not the transfer speed of the body. The reason I ask is that trying to select card speed with the body can save you a lot of money e.g. If the best transfer rate of the body is only 10MBs, buying cards faster than the current SANDisk Ultra (15MBs) is a waste of money.<o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

f you used the 7D bare your exposure is the same but the noise is 1 1/3 stops worst. Now the 7D has slightly better sensor technology but it is less than 1/3 stop. Whats more important is the 7D can AF at a longer focal length. Thats where the 1D IV has the advantage because it will AF at f/8 and has a 1.3 crop factor so you can autofocus at the longest focal length of any camera body by Canon. The solution for the 1D X would be to AF at f/11, but that still has its disadvatages.

Why do camera body threads always end up with noise discussions?

The chart's promised improved performance out of the 2x III extenders with the new 500mm and 600mm II's. If we don't get AF at F8 on at least the center point the promise is near worthless with the new 1D X. As a camera maker what is the point of a 2x extender if you do not have a body that can AF with it.

I really don't follow the logic of AF at f/11. Where did that number come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Raid
    Now I will never buy a 1D, not because I can&rsquo;t afford it, but because I don&rsquo;t deserve it

I think if you go to the camera store once it is released, show them the $7,000 and they will explain how you do deserve it. The only skill level required is the ability to hand over the money.

Americo will most likely show up with a 1D X next to photograph wine bottles and corks so enough said.