Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

From Bryan

Looks like a nice cam for weddings and journalists, and there are some fun features like I-frames-only vs. IBP-frames for video, but for me the wait isn

Actually, I am glad to see this announcement. Up to this point, one had to choose between a fast crop sensor/body or a slower full frame sensor/body. Some say they are dissapointed in the specs (I am assuming your talking about the 18 Megapixels) but we have discussed one here many times that Megapixels aren
    Bob

I
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I think the camera was probably designed to compete with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

For me, I'm not sure about using a full frame for birds....it means you will need to be even closer and have even more focal length. I think the wildlife photographers might prefer a version with an APS-H size sensor. (ie 1.3 crop factor)

I do agree with that, Joel.
    Bob

Another Canon marketing flop?

They push larger and larger mp cameras then lower the mp count on their flagship camera? So will this new sensor give better IQ than the 21mp sensor on the 1Ds III now?

I am going to have to see the reviews on this one, no pre-order for me. Any time you combine two things to get one, something suffers. You have all the speed of the 1D IV plus more, but you loose your 1.3 crop. Sports and wildlife photographers can over come that sure, with all the new lighter tele's they can just step up to the next longer lens. So much for the weight advantage.

How about the photographers that wanted the best possible IQ. Landscape, macro and such. You go from the 21mp sensor to a 18mp sensor? If you look at the bodies on the market now and compare them, more mp has translated in to better IQ up to this point. Sure, the 7D has higher pixel density than the 5D II and the the IQ of the 5D II is better. Canon pushing its ff sensor up to 21mp as a selling point then bringing it back to 18mp, not very sound marketing? Maybe it will have better IQ, or maybe there will be a 5D III that fills this void.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Another Canon marketing flop?

I don't know, could be. The thing that is very anti-climatic for me about the announcement is that we don't yet know much about DR, high ISO performance, and IQ. And those may be the real advances for this camera. If they are very impressive, I think this will be a very solid and popular camera. But we simply don't have that information yet. I read some of Chuck Westfall's quotes on dpreview, and he is saying some ofthe right things,granted, he didn't say much,but we simply won't know until we have sample pictures under different conditions and real world reviews.

I alsowonder ifthis is only part of the picture. This camera may be the start of a reposition of camera bodies by canon. If so, we won't know the full picture until the 5D III, 7D II, etc are released. But it also is possible that Canon is simply encouraging birders to buy longer lenses or switch to the 7D.

But, the more I think about it, I am excited by some of the announced technology filtering down. The in camera HDR, f/4 AF points, and the new sensor. If I have any issues with my 7D, and I only have a few, itsDR, ISO performance, and AF under low light. So I can see some of the announced technology filtering down to address each of those.

oh baby... how long until do I have to wait for a full hands on testing?

I am also keen on those Canon GP-E1 GPS Receiver and the Canon WFT-E6A Wireless File transfer and if they can but both used at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    You have all the speed of the 1D IV plus more, but you loose your 1.3 crop. Sports and wildlife photographers can over come that sure, with all the new lighter tele's they can just step up to the next longer lens. So much for the weight advantage.

I love having a FF speed camera but losing 1.3 crop means I don't the logest focal length with AF like the 1D IV. What weight advatage do you mean? A loner lens with 1.6 or 1.3 means a slower lens, if you want reach and low light you need either a heavy lens or better ISO performance.Canon did both so I don't see a problem, exceptfor the AF thing I metioned. YesI can put a7D with a 600mm f/4 but I get a affective960mm f/6.3, not a 960mm f/4. You can't get both without enhancing the noise performance ofthe camera.

I don't see 18mp vs 21mp being a huge downgrade in resolution, both being FF I don't think most people doing13"x19" or lesswill notice a big differance.

At first I thought that theCR predicted $7,000 price tag was high but thinking that the 1Ds III is $6,500 and if Daniels theory is correct MP are not real expensive to makebut sensor size is, counting that it's actually about there. The D3s is a5 grand FF but it's not even close to the 1D X specs wise, wewill see how the real life performace stacks up to the hype in due time.

For me this might be a happy mediem between speed and a general camera,

John.