Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

EOS 1D X announced!

In addition to the 'possible press release,' with specs,listed on CR, Canon has made official reference to the new flagship model (see the 5th paragraph)

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

Yep....not a Foveon sensor....weird that they went with 1Dx and not something sequential. I wonder if this is this meant to be the start of a new line (1Dx Mk 1) or an intermediate step, like the 1D Mk II N?

The number and type of AF sensors seems impressive......

Kinda disappointed in the specs. It might be something I considered "cutting edge" or "top of the line" 3-4 years ago...

I bet this is something before the 1Ds. They maybe are trying to have a competing line with the Nikon version (D3s?). From the looks of it, I would have to think they are going to put out a gigantic megapixel camera that is considered the 1Ds and I bet that comes some time around that Hollywood announcement or possibly next year. I am wondering what they are going to do to the 5D series??? I am looking forward to upgrading and hopefully I can either get that one in a good price range or grab someone

John

Before I express disappointment in how sad the new spec's look. The first link you provided from canon rumors had an article at the bottom that was said to be from Japan. If you read this one is lead to believe this is an actual press release, but then read the title of the link "possible-press-release"

So far all I find on google and 1D x refer back to the canon rumor article.

The mention of it in the other link you provided appears legit.

Canon video [url="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/eos-1d_x/pr_movie.do]cpn.canon-europe.com/.../pr_movie.do[/url]

SPECS
    [list][*]Full Frame[*]18.1MP[*]Dual DIGIC 5+ anda dedicated DIGIC 4 for metering and AF control[*][b]ISO 100-51200 Native[/b][*]100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor[*]EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)[*]61 Point AF[*]DUAL CF Cards slots[*]21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors[*]20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors[*]5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors[*]EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)[*]12 Frames Per Second[*]14 Frames Per Second JPG Only[*]400,000 Shot Rated Sensor[*]Ethernet Connection[*]Dual vibrating dust removers[*]MPEG-4 AVC/H.264[*] 1920×1080 30p/25p/24p[*] 1280×720 60p/50p[*] 640×480 30p/25p[*] SMTPE Timecode !!![*]March Availability, $6,800.00[/list]

Canon's Press Release:

<span style="color: #888888;"]

<span style="color: #888888;"]LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 18, 2011&ndash; Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, is proud to introduce a completely revolutionized EOS-1D series camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera.* As the new leader in Canon&rsquo;s arsenal of professional DSLRs, the EOS-1D X will be a high-speed multimedia juggernaut replacing both the EOS-1Ds Mark III and EOS-1D Mark IV models in Canon&rsquo;s lineup. Enhancing the revolutionary image quality of the EOS-1Ds and speed capabilities of the EOS-1D series, the EOS-1D X DSLR features an 18-megapixel full-frame Canon CMOS sensor, Dual DIGIC 5+ Imaging Processors, 14-bit A/D data conversion and capable of shooting an incredible 12 frames-per-second (fps). Canon&rsquo;s EOS DSLR cameras and accessories have a long-standing legacy of providing high-quality results to professionals in a wide range of markets, including sports, nature, cinematography, wedding and commercial studios. The addition of this new model will help take this tradition to a whole new level.

<span style="color: #888888;"]The EOS-1D X announcement comes on the heels of Canon&rsquo;s recent manufacturing milestone with the production of the Company&rsquo;s 50-millionth EOS-series SLR camera in September of 2011. Furthermore, Canon will achieve yet another milestone at the end of this month producing the 70-millionth EF lens.

<span style="color: #888888;"]&ldquo;The EOS-1D X represents the re-invention of the EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D series, combining new proprietary Canon technologies with the culmination of customer feedback and requests from the field. We are proud to introduce this camera to the worldwide community of professional photographers and cinematographers with the features and capabilities they need to capture the great moments that display their talent,&rdquo; stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.

14PFS video: [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/inrsoul/6256207783/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/inrsoul/6256207783/[/url]

Also came across this:

<span>

[b]<span style="color: #888888;"]"Multiple Exposure Modes[/b]

<span style="color: #888888;"]The EOS-1D X is the first EOS Digital SLR to feature Multiple Exposure capability. The camera can combine up to nine individual images into a single composite image, with no need for post-processing in a computer. Four different compositing methods are provided for maximum creative control, including Additive, Average, Bright and Dark. Compositing results can be viewed in real time on the camera&rsquo;s LCD monitor, and there is a one-step Undo command that allows photographers to delete an image and try again if desired. The EOS-1D X&rsquo;s Multiple Exposure mode even allows photographers to specify a previously captured RAW image as the starting point for a new Multiple Exposure composite image."

Also been reading that the dynamic range of the new sensor is supposed to be amazing.

I cannot wait to get Bryan's take on this camera!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Yep....not a Foveon sensor....weird that they went with 1Dx and not something sequential. I wonder if this is this meant to be the start of a new line (1Dx Mk 1) or an intermediate step, like the 1D Mk II N?

The number and type of AF sensors seems impressive......

It seems that the X is for the roman numeral 10, because it's the tenth generation of 1D bodies.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

From Bryan

Looks like a nice cam for weddings and journalists, and there are some fun features like I-frames-only vs. IBP-frames for video, but for me the wait isn