I found my issue.. it happened again and didn't correct it's self this time. I was shooting a wedding on Halloween and as I was getting a couple last shots in, it happened. I couldn't change shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc.. and the LCD was not functioning. I could change aperture.. and that was it. I called it quits and went home to jump on the phone with canon. The CSR (Very knowledgeable and pleasant) was at a loss. We did a hard reset, removing the little watch battery and all that jazz.. It just wasn't working. Unfortunately I didn't have my battery door with me so I was still using the grip. He suspected that the reset just wasn't happening because all of the power wasn't cycling out of the body without the battery door. Turns out he was wrong, kind of. With the battery door, everything is back to normal. Works great. With the grip, it's automatically in the same situation. If I turn the grip controls off.. viola! Works great and I can still use both batteries.

Looks like I'm sending in the grip. Best case scenario I suppose. At least there's no down time this way.

So Jordan, turns out we had very different issues with our 7Ds. Hopefully your issue doesn't return.