Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D shutter BUTTON not working....

Canon 7D shutter BUTTON not working....

Hey all,

Anyone ever have a problem with their shutter button on a Canon DSLR or specifically on a 7D? I've had my shutter itself go out on my old Rebel XSi once, but this isn't the shutter - there is no Error 99 or error of any kind, and everything else works 100% PERFECTLY (reviewing photos on the memory card, taking video, changing settings etc...) but I just can't use the button that you would use to shoot a photo as it's not responding. VERY odd. I am going to look at getting it serviced. Canon in Canada wants $219 CAD for it... and I'll bet it's a $50 job. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm thinking of getting it repaired and then selling it, as I would like to move up to a FF camera for weddings, low-light and better portraits. As much as I love my 7D, I think I'm outgrowing it a little, though I'll certainly miss it for sports. Ideally, I'd like to have both the 7D AND FF, but we can't always have ideally right? I'm going to hop over the park and experiment with videography, since that works great. I want to make a little documentary thing about Parc La Fontaine in Montreal (I live right next to it) but I have no clue what I'm doing with video. I'm trying to get my girlfriend to research video a bit because she'd be great at videography for weddings or other events. I figure we'd make a formidable team! Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me to learn about videography? .... since that's all I can do with the camera now? haha!

- Jordan

www.freshphotoblog.com

Re: Canon 7D shutter BUTTON not working....

Do you have a remote shutter release? If so, does that still trigger the shutter? If not, a 3rd party cable release could be a $10temporaryfix for you...

Wow Dude, GOOD THOUGHT!

I indeed have a remote shutter release and I tested it and it DOES work. Hence, again, it

I have once, in the middle of a promo photoshoot for a local film maker. Are you using the battery grip?? Both shutter releases stopped working for me. I was freaking out, decided to take the battery grip off and use just the body only (only thing I could think of since taking out the batteries and restarting the camera didn't work.) only to realize that I didn't have the battery door with me. So I put the grip back on with the intention of using my remote, and it worked fine! Scary, and I have no idea what could have caused it, but haven't had that issue since then.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../57268.aspx

I do not reccommend that one bit, if you break your camera it
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

[quote user="Rocco"]I decided to take the battery grip off and use just the body only (only thing I could think of since taking out the batteries and restarting the camera didn

Ok, never had this happen to me, but any chance you reprogramed the button to be af/ae only and not shutter release? There are a couple ways to do this, one is through the "Q" button. When I am home I can look up more ( this is from my phone).

Kayaker: I like your thinking. I checked that out, but apparently you select either AF/AE OR AF OR AE, doesn

Q button -> Bottom right "custom Controls" -> Shutter button half press can be set to "metering and AF start" or "metering start" or "ae lock".

But that
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Yeah Dr Crouble,

I DEF don