Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D shutter BUTTON not working....

Re: Canon 7D shutter BUTTON not working....

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco
    I decided to take the battery grip off and use just the body only (only thing I could think of since taking out the batteries and restarting the camera didn't work.) only to realize that I didn't have the battery door with me.

Just in case you weren't aware, there's a little slot in the battery grip (along the part that inserts into the battery compartment) where you can store the battery door, so it's always handy if you need to remove the grip.

NO WAY! Ha. I had no idea. AAAAAND.. yup. there it is. Imagine that. Thanks.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Yep, I didn

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Just in case you weren't aware, there's a little slot in the battery grip (along the part that inserts into the battery compartment) where you can store the battery door, so it's always handy if you need to remove the grip.

John, You are the fountain of wizdom---I didn't know that, Now...what did I do with that battery door?

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

I'm thinking of getting it repaired and then selling it, as I would like to move up to a FF camera for weddings, low-light and better portraits. Ideally, I'd like to have both the 7D AND FF, but we can't always have ideally right?

Let me see if I'm grasping this correctly:

You have a dead shutter button on your camera. You want to fix it, then sell it, then buy a different camera. You want to shoot weddings with that different camera.

Folks, this is a recipe for disaster. You have to have a backup camera for a wedding, and I'd say that you need a backup walk-around lens as well.

Search for FWIGTEW and read the blog entry.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

When I shoot weddings, I ALWAYS have a backup camera, usually I have a lens on it and use it actively. I rent one, though if my primary camera is a better quality, FF camera, then I can rent something like a 50D instead of dropping money on a FF camera at twice the price. Normally, I don

UPDATE:

After worrying I'd have to send it in to Canon of Canada (or USA) for a cost of $219 plus shipping, plus possibly more in parts (though doubtful) I've finally found a guy in Montreal who can repair it for somewhere between $120 and $200 and do it within between a day and a week. This guy is super nice and I had a consultation (free) with him today about it. After about five minutes, the shutter button started working again, magically. We tried to get it to not work again, but it seems to be "cured" - though I think it's obvious there is a problem and may happen again. If so, I know who to take it to! Thanks Zone7Camera!!!!

Glad to hear that it

Hmm. I wonder if you and I had the same shutter button issue after all. Maybe I just lucked out with mine malfunctioning for minutes rather than days. Who knows. Mine is going strong again now though.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Hey, another GREAT idea! The previous great idea was to try the shutter release cable, which I happen to have, and it worked!

I do not have a grip, so I couldn

Your shutter release buttons are worn out guys, have them replaced before they go out on you completely. Same thing happened to my 40D. Just imagine how many times we have pressed that thing, sooner or later it's going to wear out.