Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Photography Setup... WHO'S WITH ME?!

Odd Photography Setup... WHO'S WITH ME?!

Okay, so as in my other post, my 7D is still broken. I'm going to get it fixed soon... I just hope I can do it for under $100.

Anyhow, I don't use it much for jobs right now, and when I do, if it's a wedding, I have to rent a 5DMkII anyhow to get the job done right. I have some great lenses (EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, and EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM) and I don't really want to sell them, but I DO want to sell my 7D so that I can still get something for it (I'm hoping $1100 or more). I am thinking I could drop several hundred more dollars for the 5DMkII, but do I really need it right now? Since I'm not doing a ton of photography, and I'm thinking I won't be doing much until I market more aggressively once I"m back in the U.S. around Jan/Feb (I'm in Canada until then), I'm thinking of just buying a Canon Powershot S100 and an Eye-Fi card.

What do you think of this setup?

Canon S100

Eye-Fi card

iPad 2 (already own one)

Apps for enhancing photos like "Big Lens" and other good apps (already have them).

The entire setup is rather light and portable, I wouldn't even need the iPad 2 on me all the time, and I could do most of my workflow just on that if I wanted. This would be great for some shoots (sure, photojournalism, weddings, birthdays, bar mitzvahs etc... but who cares? not doing many now and if I get one booked I'll rent a camera). In the meantime, it would be great for my fun personal photography as well as select jobs (portraits, landscapes etc...) Sure it's not ideal, but I dunno... what do you think? Just imagine if I had some sort of rig where I could mount the iPad 2 and the camera both to it, and I (or the portrait subject) could see the images as they're being captured, and I could edit and deliver right there on the device! I'm trying to be odd and think outside the box with this.... I dunno... anyone have any suggestions about this? Tell me I'm crazy? Tell me I'm stupid? Tell me THEY want to try this too??? What do you think?

- Jordan

http://www.freshphotoblog.com

Re: Odd Photography Setup... WHO'S WITH ME?!

B&H had the S100 at $429, maybe you can get it cheaper somewhere?

I wouldspend an extra $100 bucksor so moreand get a Rebel and then you can use all your great lenses and have a back up DSLRfor your7D when you get it back. Maybe look for a used one, or an older camera and get it even cheaper.

I

NiteHawk, the allure of the S100 is it

I say get it. It

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Just imagine if I had some sort of rig where I could mount the iPad 2 and the camera both to it, and I (or the portrait subject) could see the images as they're being captured, and I could edit and deliver right there on the device!

I am making an assumption here, so ignore this if I am off base. Was this a money making idea? For a carry around, small camera to just have fun with it sounds good if that is what you want. If this is a money making idea, I wouldn't be to hot on it and here is why. Ever since I got my first DSLR I have been asked over and over again if I am professional, in fact I was asked today if I tried to make any money with my camera, and this is a guy that works for me that asked. Believe me it is the DSLR that is really getting the question asked, not because I have superior photography skills. Seeing someone taking pics with a PS and viewing them on an IPAD wouldn't make me think I need to ask that guy if he sells his pictures professionally. I think you would loose work if that was the goal, and it has nothing to do with the quality of your pics, it will just be peoples impression.

Nitehawk,

Indeed the goal wasn

If it makes you happy and it is what you want go for it. It sounds like you know if it would be a fit for you.

It is hard to go past a working 7D for $100. You have some great lenses and there are a few of nice things to shoot in Canada, I
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

No, No, No,, I'm not with you, I understand what you are thinking, but still, I will get a rebel instead if I were you.

like other people have already mentioned, you have some really nice glasses, why not use them, plus a brand new T3i probably will cost you only about $430.00 or even less, here is how (I just sold my 9500II for $325 on ebay)

last, the the rebel's resell value should be higher.

just 2 cents!

you know what you really need.