Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Choosing a Canon Lens.

Need Help Choosing a Canon Lens.

I have a 50D. I'm looking to buy an L lens to shoot textures and reference photos for 3d work. Here's my question:

Should I buy a f4 70-200MM L USM along with an extender OR an f4 70-300 L IS USM? Since I'm shooting for texture work, barrel distortion is something to consider.

I'm a novice at best Thanks in advance

Re: Need Help Choosing a Canon Lens.

What is your regular working distance from the textures? That might limit the lens you can use as much as anything.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

+2. Also, what is your budget? I know you said either a, or b, but are you going with the long focal length because you need to get close up? Is a macro lens out of the question?
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Barrel distortion is easy to correct in the post and not a big deal with longer lenses.

John.

A broader question - why do you need a zoom lens? Generally, a prime lens will give less distortion and better IQ than a zoom. What about either the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS or the 180mm f/3.5L Macro?

Thanks for the replies. I need some zoom from time to time. Many of my shots are from a distance as i shoot pictures at airports, for both reference and textures. Access can be tough so I

Nothing will beat the macros for this kind of work - unless you

Thanks for all of the replies and sorry it took so long. I was locked out for soem reason.

Here

You could always go with a third party. The Tamron 70-200mm can provide way more macro capability than the Canon 70-200, gives you f2.8, and costs about the same as the 70-200 f4L. Would I buy it? No. If I was you, and I had a $1500 budget, needed a general purpose zoom, and a macro, I
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I can get my hands on a 70-200mm f4 L right now for 550.00. ???