Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Range ISO---Saved Me

High Range ISO---Saved Me

I shot a night high school football game last night and lets just say, The lighting wasn't what I was used to. When I first got there and started to get my camera settings dialed in, I realized that this was going to be a challenge. My initial settings were ISO 6400, F4 and that would only allow a shutter speed of 250-300---not near fast enough for a football game. After about 5 minutes of shooting, I decided to try the high range iso (12800). At this ISO I was very concerned that nothing would be usable. I was pleasnatly surprised. Yes, I did have noise and IQ problems and my shots were certainly not as clean as I had wanted, but I think I still managed to get some fairly useable shots.

Now, I have always been reluctant to go above ISO 1600 and even that is too high for what I try to achieve when I shoot, But after last night I will be more willing to bump the ISO if the shot requires it.

What I learned:

1. If you need the high ISO, use it. (you can fix noise problems in post, but you can't fix motion blur)

2. With this kind of lighting, frame rate and AF is slowed considerably

3. IQ takes a hit with these settings.

4. Better a less-than-perfect shot, than no shot at all.

Here are some examples: 7D, 500L, f4.0, shutter 650, ISO 12800 (of course I used noise reduction in LR3)

More here: http://rwilliamsimaging.com/p35216761#h13a1c4cf

Bob

Re: High Range ISO---Saved Me

P.S. Sorry for the watermarks
    Bob

Love the second shot. Got the grass clips too.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

These are great shots, Bob! ISO 12800 and the 7D is not the best combo but it is good enough. If one needs better IQ the Mark IV is the camera to get but it cost a lot.

Fantastic shots....Wel ldone Bob
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

You need f/2.8, ISO 1600 at around 300 to 500 shutter depending on the light and that was usually at crappy high school stadiums in Arkansas. I could average those settings with my 30D and 40D with 580Ex set to manual cranked down slightly on the power to get multiple flashes with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

You need f/2.8, ISO 1600 at around 300 to 500 shutter depending on the light and that was usually at crappy high school stadiums in Arkansas. I could average those settings with my 30D and 40D with 580Ex set to manual cranked down slightly on the power to get multiple flashes with good results.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Unfortunately, we can't use flash during the games here. Perhaps I'll just go down and buy me a 400 2.8 (after I win the lottery.

I was wondering how many out there had used the high range ISO on the 7d or other capable bodies and what your impressions were. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The results didn't seem as bad as I had expected---just stay away from the heavy crop and avoid pushing the exposure in post. The shots werenot great, but they were ok and usable for my purposes at the time.

Bob

@Wally, Thanks

@johnny---Thanks and the 1D IV is on my short list

@Greg--Thanks, The fiels was kind of wet so I actually got several shots with the players kicking up the grass--and your correct, the airborn grass and dirt seems to make the shot.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

I was wondering how many out there had used the high range ISO on the 7D or other capable bodies and what your impressions were. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The results didn't seem as bad as I had expected---just stay away from the heavy crop and avoid pushing the exposure in post. The shots werenot great, but they were ok and usable for my purposes at the time.

Hey Bob,

Great shots in such poor lighting! I especially love the 2nd and 3rd one.

These were from the playoffs last season at Hofstra University, which has better lighting than the High School fields that I usually shoot at. My primary shooting is with the MKIV 300mm f/2.8L IS and when the play comes close to me, I switch to the 7D and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II: I'll try to post some with each setup from the same game. These were not processed.

These are ALL with the: 7D: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II @ 70mm f/2.8 ISO 6400 1/1000sec. (Un-cropped Version)

(Cropped Version) ISO 6400

(Un-Cropped) ISO 6400

(Un-Cropped) ISO 6400

(Un-Cropped Version) ISO 6400

(Cropped Version) ISO 6400

Rich

1D MKIV: 300mm f/2.8L IS. At Hofstra University with Stadium lighting, which was OK.

This was my first night using the MKIV, and the images on the LCD looked better than when I got home. So, in retrospect I should of lowered my SS, in order to get a lower ISO.

These are straight out of the camera and are all unprocessed and unedited:

ISO 12,800 1/1250sec. f/3.2

Here is a set that shows f/2.8 @ 1/1250sec, and ISO 6400 to ISO 12,800 on the same play (sequence) due to Auto ISO.

ISO 6400 Running Back breaking tackles.

ISO 8000

ISO 10,000

ISO 10,000

ISO 12,800

ISO 12,800

ISO 12,800

Rich