Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandisk Memory Cards

Sandisk Memory Cards

Sorry that this post was blank for awhile, I am having trouble posting from IE again.

Also, it looks like Bryan has now posted this under News, but started this thread because I had noticed on canonrumors a report that B+H had lower prices on their Sandisk memory cards. It appears that amazon has similar prices (some are still higher).

My fastest card is a 60 MB/s UDMA card, so the 90 MB/s UDMA 6 Extreme Pro is tempting.

Thanks,

Brant

Re: Sandisk Memory Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    My fastest card is a 60 MB/s UDMA card, so the 90 MB/s UDMA 6 Extreme Pro is tempting.

Agreed. I also top out at the 60 MB/s UDMA. Can anyone with a 7D or 1D IV speak whether there's a noticeable difference in shooting performance (not concerned about transfer to computer) with the 90 MB/s vs 60 MB/s? It's a non-issue on the 5DII but might be an issue on the 1D X...

Thanks!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Can anyone with a 7D or 1D IV speak whether there's a noticeable difference in shooting performance

If no one chimes in and gives you an awnser, if I have a 60mb card I can check this later at home. Most of my cards are Hoodmans and are 100mbs, but I have some other cards that should be slower.

I would think that the only effect would be how fast the camera recovers after a burst in RAW format, how long it takes the busy signal to drop so you can take a few more frames. Actually it could be a bigger issue on the 5DII since you have larger files and smaller burst rate. I can tell you that the 1D IV recovers much faster than the 5D II using equal cards.

I had always heard thatyou do not need the faster cardunless your shooting video.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Can anyone with a 7D or 1D IV speak whether there's a noticeable difference in shooting performance

Definitely YES, using the 90 mb/s cards, I have notice a significant difference in the buffer lag. with the 30's I could pop off 5 or 6 shots before the buffer lag would slow everything down, with the 90's it seems to be about double----If shooting Jpeg---it screams, I don't think I have ever hit the full buffer mode shooting Jpegs. Recently, I have been shooting football, and will sometimes shoot a sequence through out the entire play, maybe 10-15 seconds worth, but no lag. In my opinion they are definitely worth $65 bucks for a 16 gig90mb/s. Also, I have never had a Sandisk fail on me (Knocking on wood).

My 2cw

Bob

Thanks, Rick and Bob. All my CF cards are 60 MB/s. While the $60 price for the 90 MB/s is reasonable, I don

Yep, thanks Rick and Bob.

I have a 30 MB/s Sandisk Extreme III card and a 60 MB/s Sandisk Extreme card. I just did a test and both shot 24 RAW files at the same manual settings before slowing down. But, almost perfectly, the 7D spent ~10 seconds writing the 24 shots to the 60 MB/s card and 21 seconds to write the same number of shots to the 30 MB/s card. The files are approximately 20 MB, so it appears the 60 MB/s card writes at ~48 MB/s and the 30 MB/s card writes at ~23 MB/s.

So, it seems that the benefit is in shooting beyond 24 shots....But as I have never done that prior to this test, I don't think I need a 90 MB/s card. Granted, I may get a 16 GB card and may spend the extra $10 just in case I do someday need the speed.

I have the Sandisk 32GB 60MB/s Extreme and 64GB 90Mb/s Extreme Pro. I use the 60MB/s card in the 7D and the 90MB/s in the MKIV. They seem pretty close to me and I haven

Man that
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I also ordered a 32GB 90MB/s Extreme Pro!

When I added it to the cart the price dropped even further from $112 to $99. Get them while they last!

Remember to use the B&H link from this website to help support the site!

Rich

John & Bob

After reading Bob's post I decided to check to see how much benefitI was getting with a faster card on my 1D IV (sorry I do not have two scandisk to compare but I would think you would get similar results)

This is the test:
    1. A 20 second burst
    2. camera set to high speed
    3. AF off so the camera didn't hunt
    4. lens hood on so it was shooting a total black surface
    5. full size RAW format
    6. 2 tests for each card
    7. reformat the card clean each time

First Test a Hoodman 32 GB UDMA 675X which is supposed to do 100mbs

Camera shows a burst limit of 23

Between 3 and 4 seconds the burst stops and the rate slows

At 20 seconds this card both times delivered 63 pictures

Second test a Hoodman 8 GB UDMA 300x which is supposed to do 45mbs

Camera shows a burst limit of 23

Between 3 and 4 seconds the burst stops and rate slows

At 20 seconds this card delivered 61 and 60 pictures

From what I see any limit in performance is minimal only a loss of three pictures. I think the speed of the processors is probably a bigger limiting factor. Someone can tell me if comparing these cards is not a fair comparison of speed, since they are both supposed to be high performance cards.

Even though my testing seems to indicate just a slight difference, just 4 or 5 %, I would stick with the faster card. On a rare occasion the 5% advantage could be the difference. A year and a half ago at Yellowstone armed with my 500mm 1.4x on the 5D II, watching 2 eagles and there baby an Osprey came to close. The Eagles left the roost, they shrieked and the baby dove in to the bushes. One eagle went straight to the Osprey, the other went down a treeline and snuck in behind him. For what seemed like several minutes, which it probably wasn't, the eagles and osprey did an aerial ballet that any fighter pilot would have been proud of. Finally the Osprey bugged out and one of the eagles flew directly over my head not 20 feet from me and gave me the perfect incoming pose. Through this entire fight I watched as my 5D II flashed busy...busy...click...busy...busy.... For me this was an opportunity I may never get again, even though I hear it is pretty common with Eagles and Osprey, getting to take pictures of Eagles where I am from is rare.....I will take the 5% advantage and increase the odds of the picture of a lifetime.

John, the 1D IV has several options for the second card. I use a 32mb card as the second, and it is not a fast card. There are allot of options you can do, but I just set mine as a rollover card in case the first fills up. I have filled the card once and had it go to the back up card one time so far, the only problem with that is I had to reset it to the right card once I downloaded the pictures. I suppose it would be a good option to have if you copied your pictures to both cards, it would give you a little extra security. I heard somewhere that doing that would slow the camera down.