Thread: BlackRapid + Arca-Swiss

BlackRapid + Arca-Swiss

Many of you will know that I frequently recommend Manfrotto tripods/monopods, as I think they represent a great compromise between quality and value. I have a Manfrotto tripod and a monopod (both carbon fiber), and Manfrotto heads for both of them. Along the way, I picked up a BlackRapid RS-4 strap, and found it to be a very convenient way to carry my gear - it supports a gripped body with a white L zoom and is comfortable to carry all day, leaving hands free while still allowing a rapid grab-and-shoot.

Initially, there was some inconvenience - the BlackRapid system connects via a tripod socket, and obviously the Manfrotto quick release plates do so as well. The stock D-ring on the RC2 plates is not adequate for connecting the BlackRapid strap - if anyone doubts that, see the images posted in this linked thread. So, for several months I had to swap back and forth between the FastenR-2 for the strap and the RC2 for tripod/monopod mounting, unscrewing one and attaching the other each time.

Late last year, BlackRapid came to the rescue with the FastenR-T1 - it replaces the Manfrotto D-ring with a more robust lug to connect the BR strap:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manfrotto RC2+BR-FT1.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	243

For users of BlackRapid straps with Manfrotto heads/plates, this was a great solution - simply unclip the carabiner-like ConnectR-2 from the D-ring and mount the camera/lens on the tripod/monopod head.

However...while I've been very happy with the Manfrotto legs and heads, the RC2 plates are the weak link in the chain. There is a bit of play between plate and clamp, and no way to lock it down tightly. No concern about detachment - the connection is safe and even has a supplemental lock, but that little bit of play makes critical adjustments a bit more of an effort. Manfrotto does have other QR plate/clamp systems, e.g. the RC4 which is more robust. But the plates for that system are much larger hexagons which extend well beyond the bottom of the camera or tripod foot.

So, for quite some time I've been thinking that I would eventually switch to the Arca-Swiss system. Definitely, if I end up getting a supertele prime, I'd need a gimbal head, which would almost certainly be the Wimberley II. But also, I've been thinking of getting an L-bracket, and the Manfrotto offering there just doesn't seem convenient. If I do end up getting a 1D X, I'll be looking at a Kirk or RRS L-bracket for that.

So, I decided to take the plunge and orderArca-Swiss-type clamps/plates to replace the RC2 clamps/plates. Going in, I knew this would leave me with a problem, the same problem I initially had with the Manfrotto and BlackRapid - a return to swapping back and forth between the camera/lens plate and the BlackRapid FastenR-3 lug. Some time back (when I initially raised this issue about the Manfrotto + BR), Bob Williams mentioned that his RRS lens plate for the 100-400mm had a tripod socket to accept the BlackRapid FastenR-3 lug. I checked, and the Wimberley P-5 camera plate also has a separate 1/4"-20 threaded hole for the FastenR-3 lug:

Name:	AS Plate R3.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	244

I'm sure anyone reading this immediately noticed what I missed at first - even though this solution means there's no need to remove the camera plate, I'd still need to remove the FastenR-3 lug to mount the plate into a clamp! Not nearly so quick or easy as unclipping a carabiner.

As a side note here, even though the RSS lens plate which Bob has does have a separate 1/4"-20 threaded hole, the Wimberley P-20 lens plate does not.

The solution to this problem took a bit of digging to find, but in retrospect is pretty simple and obvious. Attach the FastenR-3 lug to a small Arca-Swiss type clamp, and leave that in place, then simply unclamp that from the camera/lens plate when mounting to a tripod.

There are two likely candidates for the small clamp, the Kirk 1" (left) and the RRS B2-FAB (right):

Name:	AS Clamps Top.jpg 
Views:	917 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	245

Why did order both of them? Hint: it wasn't just for the photo op. The first one that turned up in my Google searching was the RRS clamp (it was also mentioned by Jonathan Huyer in his Galapagos trip report). While it certainly would work, I was in for a bit of a surprise when I turned the RRS clamp over:

Name:	AS Clamps Side.jpg 
Views:	1670 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	246

There are two little nubs on the bottom of the RRS B2-FAB, 2mm high and right on either side of the1/4"-20 threaded hole. I gave RRS a call, their suggestion was either to 'mash the rubber ring of the BlackRapid FastenR down' onto the nubs, or 'just file them off'. I wasn't keen on either, thus, I ordered the Kirk 1" clamp (which has the added benefit of being sold by B&H, so UPS ground is overnight for me, vs. a week from CA).

So, I've now switched out the Manfrotto clampon my 468MG headfor a Wimberley C-12 clamp, added another C-12 clamp to the Manfrotto 234 tilt head on my monopod, have a P-5 plate on my 5DII and P-20 plates on my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. As for the BlackRapid, a little Loctite Blue 242 on the threads of the FastenR-3, 24 hours of curing in the Kirk clamp, and my BlackRapid Arca-Swiss quick release solution is ready to go:

Name:	AS Plate Clamp Strap.jpg 
Views:	1509 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	247

Hope this helps anyone with Arca-Swiss type QR plates who's considering a BlackRapid strap, and vice versa.

--John
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 02-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Re: BlackRapid + Arca-Swiss

Great information John (as always!). I was also perplexed with the little nubs on the RRS B2-FAB, but I just mashed the rubber ring into them and never looked back. I figure it probably helps keep the screw locked in place anyhow. But it does look like the Kirk clamp (with a little Loctite) is the better way to go.

Thanks for the update John.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Same setup I have. I changed out the RC4 clamp on my Manfrotto 488 ballhead for a Wimblerley C-12, put a P-20 on my 400 and 70-200, and put a P-5 on my camera. Great little setup for not too much buck.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Nice review John, and thanks for sharing all of the info and taking the time.

I think you'll be very happy switching to the Arca Swiss format. Although, Manfrotto makes great tripods, I never liked their quick release plates. I never felt comfortable with the way they locked in and they always felt a little wobbly to me too.

I happen to have all RRS Camera plates and RRS lens plates, except that I have one Wimberley lens plate that I bought at the camera shop the same day that I bought the Wimberley II, so I didn't realize that it didn't have a hole on the bottom to attach the Black Rapid too, which is quite annoying. So, I was thinking of going with your suggestion, but for me I only need to replace one plate and the RRS plate ($55) is only $15 more than the Kirk clamp ($40) alone, so you have inspired me to order a new RRS lens plate.

The Kirk 1" Clamp ($40) sounds like a nice a solution for someone that has a lot of money invested in Wimberley lens plates. However, for someone starting out from scratch I would go for the RRS lens plates (Approx $55) from the start, and as you mentioned above, they are also compatible with the Black Rapid FastenR-3 lug. The other good news is that the RRS Camera Plates are also compatible with the Black Rapid Fasten-R-3.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LensCanon&key=cat

Rich

Thanks, Rich. My reason for the Kirk clamp with the FastenR-3 attached wasn

Sure, it does appear quicker but I view the QR system as more of a convenience and I don't mind another 15 seconds to screw in the lug. I would also warn you that although you used loctite for the lug, the kirk screw clamp can now be a point of failure if that knob can unscrew that quickly (and it does have a short throw), so check that the screw wont accidentally open by rubbing up against your leg or hip. Keep in mind that those clamps were designed to be used upright while the lens plate is seated in the mount as opposed to upside down.

The RRS safety stops work exactly as the Wimberley safety stops by preventing the lens plate from slipping forwards or backwards while mounted.

I just thought of something else, wouldn't that clamp make it easier to steal off of your body. I don't mean to make you paranoid like me, but I'm just sayin'.

Thanks again, Rich. Not worried about the clamp unscrewing. It takes a 270-degree rotation to open the clamp (with the stops). Also, it's on one side, so for the camera plate I can have the knob on the lens side (which would shield it), and for a lens plate, on the side away from my body (no spinning around with a long lens).

One other advantage for the clamp over the direct attachment to the RRS plate occurs to me. This past weekend, I had a somewhat nasty scare that resulted in my 5DII dropping from hip-height (i.e. hanging from the BR strap) to the ground - twice!! No damage, fortunately... This was with the 70-200/2.8 IS II with the 2x extender, and still the FastenR-T1 through the Manfrotto plate, screwed into the tripod foot (right about where the extra hole on the RRS plate would fall?). The failure 'cause' was one you mentioned above, pant leg, bottom edge of jacket, something like that. What happened was bumping the lens release button at the mount, so the camera unmounted itself from the lens and dropped, leaving the lens securely hanging from the strap. I'd never had this happen before. Actually, the first drop was just after I'd added on the TC, and I guess I assumed that I just hadn't mounted the TC end securely to the body (though I've never done that before). The second time, the light bulb lit up. Point is, having the TC on there changes the position of the center of mass relative to the strap attachment - the body + 70-200 definitely hangs differently with the TC in between, sort of angled upwards. It's a bit noticeable with the 1.4x, moreso with the 2x. So, having the ability to slide the clamp along the lens plate would allow me to adjust the pivot point so the combo with a TC 'hangs right' relative to the new center of mass. Regardless, and though the camera is fine, I'd prefer not to repeat the experience!

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

So, having the ability to slide the clamp along the lens plate would allow me to adjust the pivot point so the combo with a TC 'hangs right' relative to the new center of mass.

Regardless, and though the camera is fine, I'd prefer not to repeat the experience!

Thanks for the heads-up, that sounds scary! Glad you didn't break anything. I always have this fear that I'm going to press the DOF preview button and accidentally hit the lens release eject button.

Now you're talking like an engineer, "new center of gravity" that makes perfect sense. Maybe you're onto something here and you can develop a new gimbal QR clamp I figured you had to have a good reason.

Oh.., I also ordered that new RRS lens plate tonight. So, now I'm totally in balance too!

Enjoy your new set-up!

Rich
    </div>

Double Post!