Thread: 2MM actuations on 1DMkIV

Alan

2MM actuations on 1DMkIV

I know a photographer (does it for a living) who bought the MkIV when it first came out.

He's shot 2 million pictures with it. Mostly, senior portraiture, with a few weddings, and an occasional corporate function.

He's complaining that his MkIV is showing its age, and he's "pretty sure" he's going to get the new 1DsMkIV when it finally arrives.

I told him if he's all that concerned about his current camera wearing out, he might want to reconsider how he shoots his senior portraits.

He typically shoots 3000 pics of each senior (studio, plus outdoors). At the frame rate of the MkIV, you can imagine that many/most of the shots

are essentially identical (all are shot as RAW files, then processed in LR3, converted to jpgs).

I told him he doesn't need 3000 shots for just one senior portrait session, but there is no telling him anything.

Anybody besides me think that this is nuts?

Re: 2MM actuations on 1DMkIV

When I saw the thread title I thought it must be someone doing time lapse. That is an amazing number ..... it would take 1000 sessions shooting 2000 frames each session ...... that

Alan

The 3000 number is accurate, but I should have mentioned that weddings are 4000-5000!

Wow - that
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I shoot between 100 and 200 for a portrait session and 1000 for a wedding. The most I have ever shot at one wedding was 1500 and that was an east Indian wedding, two cameras going the whole time. The time on the computer afterwards was a killer also since I am a part time photographer. I usually have 3 to 5 almost identical frames for set up shots. Candids are what burns most at a wedding.

Mark
    Mark

First, I
    Bob

I think I may be approaching 2 million actuations after all these write rate tests

Seriously that is impressive....I

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Back to the question---I shoot between 1500 and 2500 frames when I shoot a 2 hour football game.

Bob, I could understand this. When I've been at an airshow, which can last for 4 or more hours, I'll shoot as many as 2500. But, for a senior portrait, where the subject is stationary, it's ridiculous. Even with a change of clothes or two, 3000 shots is well beyond what is needed to capture the person. This is particularly true for a studio environment. Then, the processing! Yikes. And, storing the files. Yikes, Yikes!

It's spray and pray gone/run amok.