Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The new forum is here!

I'm a little late catching up! Very happy with the update. Spurs my interest in posting and sharing again!!

Woot!

Paul

Welcome Back Doc
    Bob

Bryan,
    I posted a reply from my mobile phone and got an error stating that at least two characters are required. It was at least 300. Posted using quick reply. (No idea if this one will post either.) Using android HTC g2. Default Google browser. All the info I have. Sorry. :/

Edit: looks like this one posted. Also using quick reply. Umm.. android version 2.3.4.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Rocco, try Tapatalk. Better than a browser on a smartphone.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Neuro.. question: it seems that the "open talk" forum section is missing from the forum list on tapatalk. Am I just not looking in the right place?

Edit: scratch that. Have to sort by name. Got it. Learning curve and all that.
    Last edited by Rocco; 12-03-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Rocco - Sorry, but I have no explanation for you on that one.

I'm sure that was just one of those quarky things. Probably an android issue the more I think about it.

Bryan,
    Is there a way to require captcha upon registration? Best defense against spam on vBulletin. The registration is pretty much the same for all forums using the platform, so it's fairly easy to program macros for that crap.

Just a thought.

Another option is for moderator approval of a specified number of a new member's posts before they can be viewed and approval isn't required any longer. One forum I used to frequent had it set as high as 20.
    Last edited by Rocco; 12-07-2011 at 09:08 AM.

A forum I moderate on elsewhere has over 150,000 members and had lots of issues with spam after moving from external authentication.

Captchas simply weren't strong enough, the built-in anti-spam filter caught them all based on IP address or posting pattern and automatically put them on post-moderation (you have to delete threads as spam and then tick the box to submit the data to the anti-spam service), but this was clogging up the thread view for moderators. We found the best fix was to not allow new users to create threads until they've posted a few times in threads of others' creation.

Just a suggestion. With the significantly lower traffic here that might be a slightly drastic reaction, especially as the auto-post-mod function might work better.