Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Software Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Brant, not sure how you have notifications set up, but I sent you a message.
    John...thanks, I got the message. I tried to reply (twice actually) but my folder still shows no sent messages.

When going through the profile options, I noticed that recording your sent messages is an option that defaults to off, so you're probably okay. Of course, if you didn't get anything neuro, add it to the list of things Bryan needs to take a look at.

Thanks David....I'll look into my settings....but if that is the case, just feel bad for Neuro...he had to read my same bad jokes twice

Lr3

I also use Lightroom 3 for batch editing/photo management. It does everything I need it to and is great for B&W conversions too. If there are any specialized or specific tasks that it's not capable of, you can select that file to edit in Photoshop. The really cool thing is that after you're done with photoshop and save the image it automatically imports the final image back into the same folder in Lightroom, so you can export with the rest of your photos with the same output sharpening.

Also, I find the metadata sorting with Lightroom extremely convienent. Basically I can do anything I want to do with those two programs alone.. except for HDR. I haven't tried that with PS yet. I export to HDR Effects Pro for those.

Hope that helps.

Rocco

I prefer using DxO over LR3. For some reason, I still can't quite get the hang of LR. I used to do a majority of my editing in DPP but have been forcing myself to go directly to CameraRaw and CS5. I figure the more I force myself to use photoshop the more I will learn. Plus I love NIK Plug-ins!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Jan...good tip....I just downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 3 and will download the trial version DXO Optics Pro soon to compare.
    Brant, if you're having trouble getting started, please send me a message and I'll see if I can help. Pretty much everything is easy in LR, but sometimes you just need to know the tricks.
    One action I use a lot is applying specific edits on one shots and copying those to a number of shots. For example white balance or lens corrections.
    I also really like the metadata selection where you can select all photos with specific values like specific apertures or lenses used.
    You should at least have tried these two actions I think before making any decisions

What's also easy is the crop tool and the basic editing tools like spot removal and gradient filters. Good luck and if you run into any problem, I might be able to help. (no promisis though )

Jan
    Last edited by Sheiky; 11-12-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: PS: if anybody else runs into problems, please say so as well ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jan (Sheiky)...thanks for the offer. I may still be taking you up on it.

So far I have only downloaded a trial version of LR3. It does seem intuitive. So far it seems to be very good. I wish the slide bars were less sensitive as they make it difficult to fine tune and, honestly, there are almost too many adjustments in the "Devolop" menu. But as I get used to them I am sure it won't seem so bad.

I'll be downloading a trial version of DxO soon.

Thanks again,
    Brant

Sure Brant, just send me a message if you think I can help you
    As far as all the options in the Developer menu. I only use a few options regularly and the rest I keep unopened so the menu doesn't get too long.

Anyway good luck and you know where to find me

To make more of a fine adjustment, place your mouse over the number to the side and rather than the slide bar itself. Adding black is pretty easy to blow by when just moving the big slider. You can also just type a number in if you know where you're going with it.

@brant, Just for fun, try looking at Youtube for some Lightroom tutorials, there are several on there and it might help your decison process. If you actually do buy Lightroom, You should get several "coupons" of which you can choose one. When I bought mine, I chose a 30 day subscription to Lynda.com, which has some great and very indepth LR tutorials among other things.

Good luck,
    Bob