Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Software Recommendations

cls thanks, it has always appeared to me that the only thing I gain with LR would be a more stream lined workflow. I have CS5 and use bridge for sorting now. But my opinion of Adobe software is this, "any software that you can go to college and get a degree to use is not user friendly".

I am going to throw another software point out:

I own both the PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II and Pro 9000 Mark II. If I process a file (JPG) from my Canon Camera using my Canon Lens using Canon's DPP software, then I print it off on either of these Canon printers using Canon paper, it comes out looking just like it does on the screen.

If I print a JPG processed with Adobe, it is hit or miss. It may come out as it appears on the screen or it may not. Most of the time it does not.

It gets worse if you try and print picture from Photoshop. It is even more hit and miss printing from Photoshop than if you open up Easy-Photo Print for the Canon printer.

I haven't figured this one out yet. Why wouldn't all JPEGS print the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Canon 7D, EFS 15-85 @ 70 mm, 1/60 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100, 580 II bounced off ceiling

DPP

LR3

And DXO

I am playing with DXO tonight. Attached is the same photo from DXO with all adjustments turned off. I've processed a couple of photos with everything turned off. DXO is sometimes faster (this photo was 9 sec) but other times is still in the ~30 sec per photo range.

Brant

So I guess you are finding DxO applies settings by default where the other two may not apply as much by default?

The DxO version still looks a little hotter than the other two. Not as much now. Do they all three have the same WB settings?

Rick

Hey Rick,

That seems to be the case. It is really easy to uncheck a few boxes to turn off all of the autocorrections. But they do seem to default "on." I wouldn't be surprised if you can change the default. In terms of the WB, LR3 seems to be using 6250, DXO is using 6102 and I don't see a change when I adjust DPP custom WB to 6200 and revert back to "shot settings", so my guess is it is right in there too.

Brant

Brant - yes, you can change/create your own default setting (I use a modified v2 with sone vibrancy added, DxO lighting at lower intensity, etc.). You can also customize (and save) the workspace so the tools you use are all accessible.

I am going to throw another software point out:

I own both the PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II and Pro 9000 Mark II. If I process a file (JPG) from my Canon Camera using my Canon Lens using Canon's DPP software, then I print it off on either of these Canon printers using Canon paper, it comes out looking just like it does on the screen.

If I print a JPG processed with Adobe, it is hit or miss. It may come out as it appears on the screen or it may not. Most of the time it does not.

It gets worse if you try and print picture from Photoshop. It is even more hit and miss printing from Photoshop than if you open up Easy-Photo Print for the Canon printer.

I haven't figured this one out yet. Why wouldn't all JPEGS print the same.[/QUOTE]

Printing with different software packages requires being careful with the settings in the software and also in the drivers for the printer. Places to start would be matching the colour spaces, checking which colour profiles each piece of the system are using, and also whether the settings for controlling the colours in the software or the printer drivers are consistent across all of the software packages used. Do recall spending some time setting things up the last time I bought a new printer and making at least one or two test prints before getting consistent results for all of my software packages.

It may get a bit tedious driving down through menu options but the results will be worth it.

Jeff

I use Aperture 3 but if you don't use a Mac Lightroom is also a very good choice.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.