Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Tips

New Forum Tips

I have spent the last couple of days exploring the new TDP forum and have really enjoyed the speed, layout and of course Smileys. But I am a creature of habit and have grown accustom to being able to see the most recent posts when I logon. With the new forum its not quite as easy as the old one was, but I did figure out a way and thought I would share it. I am probably the last one to figure this out, but just in case someone else is interetsed----here it is"

1. from the forum main page select "advanced search" at the top.
    2. then go to the "additional options" section toward the bottom of the search page
    3. Set up your paremeters of choice----I chose anything a week old or newer
    4. Save the settings and choose "search now"
    5. now save that page as a "favorite" or on your "favorite bar" and name the link something you like, I named mine TDP Forums.

Now all you have to do is hit that link and all of the most recent posts pop up.
    If you use a browser other that IE, then just bookmark the search url by whatever method your browser requires

Oh, you do have to be logged in for this to work.

If you have figured out any handy tips or tricks with the new forum, please do share
    Bob

That was my biggest complaint. Thanks for the tip.
    I like the speed. The slow speed of the other was frustrating.
    Mark

Well, Looks like I jumped the gun a little. With the procedure above, it won't update---you'll just keep getting the same exact page, but If you just save the search page as convenient link, it will save your search parameters. So when you click the link, the search page comes up with the parameters filled in so all you have to do is hit the "search now" button at the bottom. Still pretty convenient.
    Bob

I just bookmark the New Posts link - the option on the left side of the dark blue bar that's just under the black bar. That shows all threads with posts since the last time you were online. Then, for those threads, clicking the small circle with the downward chevron (left of the thread title) takes you to the first post in that thread that's unread for you.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I just bookmark the New Posts link
    The new post link is a good one, I see allot of forums without this option.

One thing were missing on the Forum page is Bryan's news updates. On the old forum if you had the community book marked you still saw his news posts. If you bypass the main page were not going to see those. Probably doesn't matter to some people, they follow the tweets. Some of us don't twitter.

Bob,

That functionality is built in. Try clicking on "what's new" at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The new post link is a good one, I see allot of forums without this option.

One thing were missing on the Forum page is Bryan's news updates. On the old forum if you had the community book marked you still saw his news posts. If you bypass the main page were not going to see those. Probably doesn't matter to some people, they follow the tweets. Some of us don't twitter.
    Maybe the easy solution would be for Bryan to create a sticky thread where he can update the news in the community section in addition to the main page. It'd be as easy as a copy and paste for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Bob,

That functionality is built in. Try clicking on "what's new" at the top.
    Wow, do I feel stupid, Thanks Rocco, I hate it I miss stuff like that. Just one question, what does "what's new" consist of? is it just new posts in the the last 12 hours, 24 hrs, anything I haven't read, what? I couldn't tell by looking at it.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Wow, do I feel stupid,
    Thanks
    Me too
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Wow, do I feel stupid, Thanks Rocco, I hate it I miss stuff like that. Just one question, what does "what's new" consist of? is it just new posts in the the last 12 hours, 24 hrs, anything I haven't read, what? I couldn't tell by looking at it.

Thanks
    I believe that the What's New? section shows you what you haven't read, whereas the "new posts" section will show you what has been posted in the last 24 hours, even if you've already read it. I'm honestly not sure what the time frame for the What's new section is, though. Maybe 24 hours by default?

Edit: Scratch that. Doesn't seem to work the same as older versions of vBulletin did. It almost seems that the "New Posts" and "What's New?" sections act the same in regards to forum posts. My guess, recent posts in the last 24 hours.

Also worth noting is the "mark forums read" button. Clears out everything you've read in that section so if you check this site multiple times a day, you are just getting new content in that screen.
    Last edited by Rocco; 11-12-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added more info
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers