Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about BlackRapid Straps...

Mmmm...nice! Have a great trip! My new favorite walkaround mode is body+lens hanging on the BR strap, with a Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt around my waist. On the side opposite the camera, I Sliplock on a Lens Case or two (usually including a S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW) and maybe a Quick Flex pouch with a flash.

I just got the RS-4 after the requisite amount of obsessing over the choice (it was either that or the Sport model, the larger one). I decided to go with the simpler setup (less expensive, too).

So far, I'm very impressed. I'm looking forward to breaking it in a bit, as the pad is somewhat stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    I always have a problem with the deleting part.

icanon:
    Thanks for the pictures of your set up. Looks simple. I think I will try it out... I have been looking for a way to get the wieght of the 7D, battery grip, extra battery, and a 100-400mm L off my neck and still be able to walk the trails with my backpack with other lens.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post

icanon:
    Thanks for the pictures of your set up. Looks simple. I think I will try it out... I have been looking for a way to get the wieght of the 7D, battery grip, extra battery, and a 100-400mm L off my neck and still be able to walk the trails with my backpack with other lens.
    Well this method will keep the weight of your neck that's for sure as all the weight is on your backpack. It's simple and it works.

To expand on original question -- hope nobody minds! -- it seems like there are two basic heights at which to carry the camera: on your hip or slightly above it. Slightly above feels more secure, i.e., less flopping around, but it also allows less play in the strap. Slightly below makes it easier to switch the camera to portrait orientation because of the extra play in the strap. Anyone have any wisdom on this?

@icanon - I like the simplicity of your method. I'll have to give it a try next time I go for a hike... One question though: I don't see the elastic bands in your final pictures; did you end up sewing the rings into the strap?

@Jeff - I'm still stuck at the requisite obsessing stage... I'm also interested to hear whether people wear them at the hip or above.

Stephen

I wear it a bit above hip-level. It bounces/rotates less there, and I still have enough spare strap for portrait grip. With collared lenses (70-200 II, 100-400) where the strap is clamped to the lens plate, the end of the lens is at the small of my back.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    @icanon - I like the simplicity of your method. I'll have to give it a try next time I go for a hike... One question though: I don't see the elastic bands in your final pictures; did you end up sewing the rings into the strap?

Stephen
    Stephen - your right after a week of testing I had it sewn. The elastics worked fine but wanted a permanent solution. One other thing you can add a velcro or something else extending from one backpack shoulder strap to the other shoulder strap to hold the camera close to your body. This works nice on long lens, just strap across the lens and put one side off when you're ready to use, then when finished just pull the strap over the lens and you're on your way. Anyway it didn't cost much to do and like I said works great.

Btw My mom from St. John's NFLD.
    Last edited by icanon; 11-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.

This thread has given me some great Christmas gift ideas......

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    @ Rich

None of the holster type products you listed will accomadiate a 70-200mm L II with hood attached will they? It appears that they could be convinient if you were shoting with a 24-70 or 24-105 though.

Rick
    I use the Think Tank 30 Holster expanded to fit my 100-400L with hood on my 7D. I would think a 70-200 with hood would also fit.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-19-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    This thread has given me some great Christmas gift ideas......

I use the Think Tank 30 Holster expanded to fit my 100-400L with hood on my 7D. I would think a 70-200 with hood would also fit.
    It doesn't appear that the 30 will accommodate the 1D body. I think I would need the model 50 instead of 30. Both bags spec's say it would accommodate the 70-200mm 2.8. The 70-200mm is slightly longer than the 100-400 closed, but not by much.

The only Christmas present ideas I have gotten so far are for myself....