Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about BlackRapid Straps...

Question about BlackRapid Straps...

I'm considering purchasing one of the Black Rapid straps and am trying to decide if it is suitable for me. I've read some reviews and they seem to be well liked and comfortable all-day. I'd like one for general camera carrying while hiking but also I'd like to be able to use it while skiing (cross-country, not downhill). For that reason I'm thinking one of the "sport" models with the bumper that can "lock" the camera behind your back would be more appropriate (to keep the camera out of harms way while skiing).

One question I do have is whether these straps can be worn with a small daypack. Can anyone advise whether they use one of these straps at the same time as a backpack?

Additionally, does anyone know if these straps can be worn over either shoulder, or are they all designed to go over the left shoulder with the camera sitting at the right hip? (I know you can get double-straps, but I'm not interested in carrying two cameras right now...)

Any help with these questions or other usefull information/advice on these (or other similar) straps would be much appreciated!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I highly recommend the BR strap.

Yes, they can be worn with a backpack. I use my RS-4 when I'm wearing a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW (not exactly a small pack, either). Put the pack on first, then the BR strap. I've hiked all day with the loaded Flipside and a gripped 7D + 100-400mm hanging on the BR strap.

The RS-4 can be worn over either shoulder. Not sure that's true for the contoured straps.

Do you use a quick release tripod plate on your camera (and/or collared lenses)? If so, what system? I've used Manfrotto RC2 plates and now use Arca-Swiss plates in conjunction with the BR system. I recently posted about a quick release AS solution (need to restore the pics to that thread).

Hope that helps...

--John

Hi Stephen,

I have the Black Rapid RS-5 and the RS-Sport. The Black Rapid strap is designed to wear on your left shoulder so that the camera hangs down at your right hip or behind your back on the right side. This way you can just reach down with your right hand and grab the camera by the body grip and slide the camera up the strap to your right eye and have your right index finger over the shutter button and fire away all in one motion. You can wear the strap over your right shoulder by flipping the straps around a bit, but it wasn't really designed for this, because then you have to pass the camera from your left hand to your right hand to take the picture, similar to what someone would have to do with the double-strap. But, if you are only using one camera then I would wear the strap over your left shoulder.

I have also done quite a bit of testing with multiple setups listed below, while biking and downhill skiing and in some very bad weather. My favorite setup is the Clik Elite Chest Pack with or without a backpack.

With that said, I wouldn't get the Black rapid for Skiing, because the camera will be swinging and bouncing around too much, and I think that it will get very annoying, and the camera is also totally exposed to the weather. I would definitely recommend the Black Rapid for walking around town and/or hiking, but not for active sports or hand over hand climbing, as the camera will tend to swing into objects.

I have the Think Tank "Backpack Connection Kit", the "Digital Holster Harness" and the "Digital Holster 20 V2.0" and "Digital Holster 40 V2.0", which can also be worn on your chest, but I prefer the Clik Elite System for chest carrying, and I prefer the Think Tank System for Belt carrying. However, I mainly use the Black Rapid Sport for active shooting of my second Camera/Lens setup at sporting events, while the primary setup is on a Monopod.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ction-kit.aspx

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-harness-v2.aspx

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...-holsters.aspx

I have the Clik Elite "Telephoto SLR Chest Carrier" and the "Pro Body SLR Chest Carrier" listed below:

http://www.clikelite.com/products/pr...chest-carrier/

http://www.clikelite.com/products/te...chest-carrier/

I also have the Clik Elite "Probody Sport Backpack" which has a built-in attachment point for the "chest carrier" on the front shoulder straps. Click Elite also has many other Backpacks that have chest carrier attachment points.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/probody-sport/

For Biking or Skiing, even Cross Country Skiing, I would go for the Clik Elite Chest Carrier, which provides easy access to your camera right in front of you. It won't swing around, and it's also protected from; banging into trees, the weather and from falling. It can also be worn underneath your own backpack.

Another option is the Cotton Carrier Vest System, but I don't have any experience with this and although the camera and lens will be out of your way, it will still be exposed to the environment:

http://cottoncarrier.com/index.html

I hope I didn't confuse you too much!
    Good Luck,
    Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 11-16-2011 at 06:32 AM.

I have an RS-4, which might be the most important accessory that I own. I agree with Richard that the Black Rapid straps aren't ideal for many sports, but they are amazing for hiking, trekking through cities, and generally shlepping a camera around for hours on end.

The strap works fine with a backpack. I actually prefer to put the strap on first and then the backpack. I've done exactly that for a 12 day trip in Israel and had no complaints. Having the use of both hands is key, and you don't have anything bulky on your chest.

Thanks for the replies!

@John - Good to hear it dosn't interfere with another pack. It would really reduce its value to me if this was not possible.... I do currently use the Manfrotto RC2 system. I also read your post on using the arca-swiss system with the BR straps, but I'm not quite ready to switch to arca-swiss yet (maybe when I get some longer lenses with tripod attachments...) but it's good to hear I have options when I do make the switch.

@Rich - I'm not sure that I would wear the strap over my right shoulder anyway, but I'm a southpaw so sometimes I do things backwards.... The clik elite chest carrier seems similar to the lowepro toploader bag I have. The lowepro is primarily designed to sling over a shoulder, but mine came with a harness so it could be worn on the chest (the clik elite may be a better / more comfortable fit though, since it is designed for this from the ground-up). I agree that this provides better protection and still gives good camera access. However at this point I'm looking for something that keeps my camera out-and-ready all the time when hiking, walking, etc. As for skiing, this is more a secondary use. I'm not sure I would ski with it on all the time, but for short periods when I'm taking shots of something in particular (ie my wife or chasing some wildlife, etc.) In this instance I would just want the camera to stay mostly out of the way and (hopefully not bounce around too much) but still accessible. Since you have both the RS-5 and Sport, which do you find better? Are there many differences between them?

On another note, I also like the think tank backpack connection kit, but for a different reason: it looks like it could work with a larger backpack. I'm thinking it might work with my larger backpack for overnight or multi-night backpacking trips. I may have to look into this for the future....

@thekingb - Thanks for the further info. I would have thought also that the BR strap would be better under the backpack as you wear it, but I guess it could depend on the specific backpack and what each person finds more comfortable.

Stephen

Stephen, be sure to get the FastenR-T1 if you get the BR strap (or swap plate for standard lug). Don't hang your gear from the RC2's D-ring!

@ Rich

None of the holster type products you listed will accomadiate a 70-200mm L II with hood attached will they? It appears that they could be convinient if you were shoting with a 24-70 or 24-105 though.

Rick

Cotton carrier will be your best choice for what you want to do.
    I have the rapid strap and to tell you the truth I don't use it all that much. Reason why you ask, it really does stay in place all that much and bending over the camera has the tendance to swing around in front of you and could smash into something.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    On another note, I also like the think tank backpack connection kit, but for a different reason: it looks like it could work with a larger backpack. I'm thinking it might work with my larger backpack for overnight or multi-night backpacking trips. I may have to look into this for the future....

Stephen
    I have the think tank connection kit and it works great. I also have a home made version which also works great and still use all the time. I get asked often by people where did I get it and I tell them I made it myself. I'm not home now be will post a few pics here if you guys like me to?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Stephen, be sure to get the FastenR-T1 if you get the BR strap (or swap plate for standard lug). Don't hang your gear from the RC2's D-ring!

John

You are using the FastenR-T1 with a P-20 Wimberley and a C-12 Wimberley Clamp, correct?

I have an off brand clamp, (I bought it because they were out of the Wimberley’s). I had some concern about the Wimberley, it has the larger knob and I had a concern it could work loose when carrying the camera to your side. The P-30 and P-40 have keeper screws that keep the plate from sliding off the clamp if it is loose, I am not sure the P-20 will have those. If it does it would give an extra level of security.

Rick