Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Photography - Girls High School School Soccer

Re: Sports Photography - Girls High School School Soccer

yea im definently looking into L series but right now i dont have the money to purchase a 70-200 f2.8 :[

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog
    I think the image looks fine...and now you know how the addiction starts.

I agree. The shot catches the action very nicely. And, if SRPHOTO *really* wanted the best background blur available, he/she would have to plunk down $7000 or whatever for a 400mm f/2.8 or a 200mm f/2.

In that context, a 70-200 f/2.8 seems downright economical

Hey, Refurbished 5D at adorama for like $1,400 or so... Doesn't have frame rate, but get the more shallow depth of field.

But, yeah, sickness....

It hasnt been mentioned yet, but try vertical shots to further isloate the background.

SRPHOTO,

I just started shooting sports this year. I'm using a 30D and a 70-200 F4 L. This shot was one of my first, shot with Aperture priority at f4, iso 100, 1/800 shutter speed. While my lens is an 'L' it is only slightly more expensive than yours. The 2.8 version would be great, if I could convince my wife to let me spend the money ;-)

Bottom line, open up the aperture as much as you can, then trade ISO for shutter speed until you run out of room.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture.com/themes/hawaii/utility/
    <table style="width: auto;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PgcVPNtQLa-lJS_cKjAsxg?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXos8X7ppePIQ&amp;feat= embedwebsite][/url]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right"]From Kansas Rush Fall 2008</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

]

Here is one more in portrait orientation, which is how I normally try to shoot. Face, Ball, Action, Contact, in any order you choose.

<table style="width: auto;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3HV0mgofrBiBy3kdKlBPlQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXos8X7ppePI Q&amp;feat=embedwebsite][/url]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right"]From Kansas Rush Fall 2008</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

I agree with others who posted that you should try and open up the aperature as wide as possible. I shoot a lot of sports with my EF 100-400mm f/4.5/5.6 IS lens. Most of what I shoot are soccer games and normally the backgrounds are distracting like the one in the shot above. Often there is a chain link fence or metal bleachers that you should take out of the shot. I was once told by a pro sports photographer that your paying for that aperture, so open it as wide as you can for these types of shots. You want the eye to be drawn to the subject and away from the background.

I would also crop in a little tigher to frame the subject matter.

Definitely thanks for all the feedback i would still like some more :]

Today i am going to my school's lacrosse tournament where I will be shooting three games. I will practice all these tips you guys are giving me!

here is a shot...

i think it looks a little better but still i need to upgrade to a 2.8 lens like the 70-200 L 5.0-5.6 range doesnt cut it for background blur..

&lt;&gt;

Just have some friends run behind them with sheets...