Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Purchasing 7D - please help with lenses!!!!

I would once again like to thank everyone for your thoughts and time.

I was going to buy the 5D II however saw a really good deal on ebay for the 7D with 15-85mm. It was 'brand new' in the box (unwanted prize) and the bloke wanted a quick sale - the listed price was $1400au. I inspected the item with a mate from work who is very much into photography and it was all legitimate.
    Anyway, I ended up buying it for $1350 which is a bargin - so now I have plenty of $$ to buy a couple of lenses.

I will definitely get the 70-200mm f/4 IS USM as the 2.8 is just a bit too much to carry whilst travelling.

I am very very excited - I wanted to take it out last night but it was teaming with rain in Sydney so I ended up taking photos all around the house just for the sake of it (how sad!!)

Anyway I am just about to start a new thread under the SLR category entitled 'Your best 2 tips for beginners' so please take a look!

Good stuff! I'm sure you'll be happy - that's a great deal too.

Good to see another Aussie floating around. We're slowly taking over
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Would I be correct in buying the HOYA HD CPL FILTER for this particular lens??? (15-85)

Ha, i'd just written to buy a CPL in your other thread. The Hoya HD-series are 'high-transmission' CPLs, Tiffen make them called Hi-Trans, the B+W versions are called Käsemann. They let a lot more light through than a normal CPL, so you can get higher-shutter or lower-iso compared to a normal CPL. I keep meaning to get one for my 70-300L but i'm too lazy.

and Wow, I just read your post again and realised you said 15-85 not 18-55. That was a good deal on the body, but with that lens that's almost an insanely low price. I paid $2500 or so equivalent for the same brand-new a year ago.

Anyway, the 15-85 has a 72mm front-thread, and the 70-200 has 67mm. My tip would be get the 72mm version, get a 67-72mm step-up ring (like $5 on ebay from china), and use the same filter on both lenses (although you may not be able to get the hood on and off, I have that problem with my 70-300L, so leave the hood off when I use the CPL, which is most of the time).

Doc
    Yeah I know - it was super super cheap. The bloke won it in a raffle (so he says) and wanted a quick sale. I showed him the cash and he couldn't take it quick enough!

I would have been made not to take it at that price.

So now I can spend the rest of my $$$$ on a few L lenses / backpack / tripods / software etc!!

Keep the 7d for a year then upgrade to the new 5d III !!!!

That's why I will get the L glass so I can keep it!

No doubt I will have 1,000,000 questions as I get used to using this thing!

Great price, great deal, had a much longer post that I have edited down since I saw that you had made the purchase

FYI I just got back from a trip and have several "almost perfect" but aren't..... I am so annoyed with myself for not taking that extra few moments to get it exactly right - relearning a lesson from long ago - as I am not going to be going back to retake those shots. Ergo my advice to you - are you ever likley to go back and take those "almost perfect" shots over again?

Have a great time and post pics
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 11-24-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

My two cents is that 1) it's a great idea to go with the 7D instead of the 60D for those countries as the 7D is more rugged and weatherproofed!
    As far as lenses, how about these three: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC (the VC version is more expensive and optically crappy), the 70-200mm f/4 (IS or non-IS, your choice) and some prime in the middle.... like you mentioned: the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or maybe the 85mm f/1.8. Also bring one flash with you.. preferably a 580EXII but a 430EXII could work instead. You probably won't use the flash much.. but I'd bring it. If you do have it in the budget for a fourth lens (and only in such a case) then I would suggest a SUPER wide for the 7D, though the Canon is expensive and not the best. I'd opt for the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 which I used to own and is nice, or the rather new Sigma 10-20 f/3.5. That lens looks nice!!! I've heard good things. Let us know what you go with?