Thread: 400D/50D AF comparison

400D/50D AF comparison

Hi all, I've been absent from the forum for a long time. I've been using a much abused 400D for a the last 5 years and it's on the point of dying permanently. I have the oppertunity to buy an almost new 50D at a good price and it will give me the increased fps I want plus a more rugged body. What I would really like to know from those of you with firsthand experience is how the AF compares between the two models? Is the 50D AF noticeably faster/more accurate? Of course I'd love a 7D, but the money isn't available! Thanks in advance for your views.

Welcome back - things have changed around here, just a few days ago the forum backbone was changed, so we're all still getting used to it.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any first hand experience with either body, but I can offer some specification-based observations. The 400D has 9 AF points, only the center point is a cross type (which can detect features in multiple orientations, making it more likely a focus lock will be achieved). The 50D also has 9 AF points, but all of them are cross-type. Also, the center point on the 400D is more precise and accurate with f/2.8 or faster lenses, because one of the two lines in the '+' shaped AF point is f/2.8 sensitive. The 50D also has enhanced function with f/2.8 or faster lenses, but instead it's a dual-cross point with an f/2.8-sensitive 'x' superimposed on the f/5.6-sensitive '+'. That means the 50D center point is more likely to get a lock with the f/2.8 part of the sensor. Basically, the 400D uses the same AF sensor used in the 20D and 30D. The 40D got a new sensor, and that has been reused in the 50D and 60D (i.e. it's still current, but then so is the T3i/600D's - it's the same one in your 400D).

As for AF speed, the 400D uses Digic2 whereas the 50D uses Digic4 - two generations faster, and the AF speed and AI Servo AF tracking will be better because of that.

One more point - and this one is critical if you have any 'fast' lenses. The 50D offers autofocus microadjustment (AFMA), a feature that lets you calibrate the AF system for each specific lens. With f/2.8 and faster lenses, or even slower lenses if they're telephoto and used near for close subjects, AFMA is a big plus. Any time that the DoF gets thin, any small focus errors are more evident - being able to correct those by using AFMA means a lot more in-focus shots. AFMA was one reason I went from a T1i/500D to a 7D, and I'll never buy another camera that doesn't have AFMA.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 11-22-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Second neuro's welcome back.

I have not used the 400D, but neuro's observations seem spot on to me. I have a 50D and it is a great body. If you can get one in almost new condition for a good price, and that is your current budget I would not hesitate. Not to take away from the 7D, but keep in mind that the 50D was the top of the APS-C sensor line until the 7D came out. Although I do not use mine as much as I once did, it still performs very well.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    well I would offer a first hand comparison since I have owned both of these, however when I made my upgrade I also upgraded lenses so its hard to make a fair comparison. With that said, I loved how much of an improvement the 50d was in just about every area. I do remember being impressed with the AF but that was probably more from the faster lenses than the camera.

Thank you all for your posts, it looks like I will see improved AF with the 50D. The AFMA will also be a very useful upgrade (and not available on the 60D?!!). Time to splash the cash and buy the 50D.

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307 View Post
    Thank you all for your posts, it looks like I will see improved AF with the 50D. The AFMA will also be a very useful upgrade (and not available on the 60D?!!). Time to splash the cash and buy the 50D.
    I upgraded from a 450D to a 50D and at that time my friend used a 400D. While I already was thinking that my 450D was way better than his 400D, the 50D was an even bigger difference. It's amazing.
    If I were you I'd definitely buy the 50D and to be very honest, I personally think that the 50D is a better value than the 7D. Unless video plays a major role in the equation that is.
    I did feel that the output of the 50D was a little on the pink side, so I had made a special camera profile for it at the time. Other than that, it's a great camera and you might not even have the same "issue".

Enjoy your new camera if you decide to buy it, you will definitely like it

Jan

It sound like you already decided, but another plus for the 50D is the 50% increase in pixels over the 400D. If you crop at all, you will notice the difference.

Pat