Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Photo Professional vs. Photoshop CS4

Re: Digital Photo Professional vs. Photoshop CS4

Why do you convert them to jpeg for printing? Can't you print them straight from the CR2 file format? Is the final image better coming from a jpeg or does it really matter? Just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by gymken

Why do you convert them to jpeg for printing? Can't you print them straight from the CR2 file format? Is the final image better coming from a jpeg or does it really matter? Just curious!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

A raw file can't actually be printed. It's not an image file, it's a set of instructions to create an image file. For instance, what you see in DPP or any other raw converter is actually a TIFF or JPEG image created on the spot just for the monitor display. So you can't print the raw file, you have to convert it to an actual image file first.

Quote Originally Posted by RDKirk

Quote Originally Posted by gymken

A raw file can't actually be printed. It's not an image file, it's a set of instructions to create an image file. For instance, what you see in DPP or any other raw converter is actually a TIFF or JPEG image created on the spot just for the monitor display. So you can't print the raw file, you have to convert it to an actual image file first.

The image that is imbed in the RAW is based on a TIF, but it does need to rendered to be printed. Think of the RAW as TIF in PS with elaborate adjustment layers over the background layer.

Quote Originally Posted by RDKirk
    I'll save them as PSD files early in that process and work with them as PSD files until I'm ready to print. Then I convert them to JPEG to send them to my lab or print them on my printer.

I watched the tutorial and it was veryy helpful. But the reason I quoted the above is that when I (using photoshop cs) open a 16-bit TIFF file converted from a RAW file using DPP, JPEG is not in the 'save as' menu. Even if I save the TIFF file as a PSD file and then go to save as again, the JPEG option is eluding me

I use DPP for selecting keepers out of what I shoot (not many), and I've been using it as a RAW editor and skipping photoshop all together. I like DPP's ability to edit mass numbers of images quickly (withrecipesand such), but I miss the creativity of photoshop. Is photoshop better for editing while DPP is just quicker and gets the job done? For instance, is DPP's sharpening as good as the methods described by Scott Kelby in the "Photoshop CS #" books?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    when I open a 16-bit TIFF, JPEG is not in the 'save as' menu.

Try Image-&gt;Mode-&gt;8-bits per channel.

I print directly from the raw file.

I have photoshop CS4, I open my raw files in camera raw, I adjust them if needed, and from camera raw I open them in photoshop. I print them from photoshop without saving them in JPEG or Tiff.

I print directly from the raw file.

I have photoshop CS4, I open my raw files in camera raw, I adjust them if needed, and from camera raw I open them in photoshop. I print them from photoshop without saving them in JPEG or Tiff.

If you've moved the image from ACR to Photoshop, you're no longer working with the raw file. ACR renders it to a TIFF behind the scenes, and that's what you're working with and then printing from in Photoshop

Thank you for the explaination

post to bookmark this thread

Back to the main topic, I use PS CS2 only for getting rid of dust and fixing up panoramics. I find the stamp tool on DPP to be weak, but every picture I post process goes through DPP first.