Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Travel Kit

Building a Travel Kit

I've been pretty much absent from the forums for the past year or so, but I'm going traveling (backpacking) in February for a few months through South-East Asia and the surrounding countries and I've been going back and forth about what kit to bring. Photography is not the purpose of the trip, but obviously I want to take many photos and there will be many amazing photographic opportunities that I'll likely never get again. I have read weewillo's recent 7D travel kit thread (I find the fact that he posted so recently about going to the same area at the exact same time pretty funny), but since I have a bunch of gear already and want to figure out a second camera I thought I'd start my own.

I need to make decisions on the following subjects: DSLR travel kit (subset of my current kit, but I'm also open to some new purchases), P&S camera, Snorkel/Scuba camera, Tripod, Bag.

I'll be living out of a backpack and moving around a lot for several months. I'm a young and strong enough guy, but I still want to keep weight and bulk down so I need to be picky with which lenses to bring. My current kit is: 5DII, Sigma 12-24, 24-105L, 70-200 F4L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 Macro (non-L), 430 EXII. Obviously this is way way way too much to bring, as much as I'd love to bring it all it's just far too impractical.

To help clarify, I want to shoot anything and everything, but I think I'll mostly be focused on landscape and nature/wildlife. I hardly ever use my 5DII for video, but I wouldn't mind learning to do some time lapses before I go.

Right now I'm leaning towards the following: 5DII, 24-105, 100-400L, 50 1.4.

I would much rather be lugging around the 70-200 instead of the 400, or no telephoto at all, but I'm worried that I'd be kicking myself for it pretty often with all of the nature and wildlife opportunities that will come up. I'm spoiled on the 400's reach now and everything other than wildlife will probably be fine with the 24-105 so I don't need to worry about having it on at other times. I'm also happy to consider buying something else, as I've bought and sold my share of gear so I'm happy to buy something specifically for the trip if it's going to be better than what I already have. I'm leaning against bringing the 430 because it's just another piece of kit and I also don't want to have to deal with AAs. I prefer shooting low light and party situations with the 50 1.4 anyway. Can anyone sell me on a need to bring it that I'm not thinking of?

I never shoot with a tripod, but I recognize that I'll want one on this trip for landscapes, night shots and video/time lapses. I'll probably go for one of the smaller carbon manfrottos. My only concern with this is that I'd like to keep my gear concealed (theft being a concern) and a carbon tripod strapped to the back of the backpack isn't exactly stealth. Will a compact tripod or Joby do the job well enough and keep the size way down so they're inside the bag rather than outside?

On to the second camera. I traveled to Brazil a couple of years ago with just a cheap P&S (decided not to bring my SLR). I learned on that trip that I was able to get a significant number of photos I otherwise wouldn't have gotten if I'd only had a SLR with me. Sometimes this was because I knew I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking my SLR out in the current area/crowd, but mostly because I tried not to carry a bag except when moving to a new city (again concerns over mugging/theft) and I never knew that I'd be safe carrying a SLR out openly where I'd be going, because I had no idea where I'd be going :P I think this was more of a concern for Brazil than Asia, but it's still something I need to consider.

While the SLR will serve most of my photography needs, I know I want to have a P&S that I can bring everywhere, even when I'm not thinking about photography. Also, we are going to get advance open water PADI dive certified in Thailand at the start of the trip and be diving all along the way. So I want to be able to take photos/video on dives (30m). Preferable the P&S will serve both needs. This made me think of getting one of the new GoPro2s. I know that there is an issue with their focusing underwater, but I've researched some solutions to that and the idea of having such a rugged, wearable camera in my kit for such a reasonable price is very appealing to me. Obviously as a camera it has some serious disadvantages against a traditional P&S, like not having a screen or viewfinder! However, like I said, in most cases where the photography was a priority, I'd be using my SLR anyway. I'm also much more likely to enjoy the GoPro when I get back because it can do things and go places that my 5D can't.

As for bag I'm pulling a bit of a Gollum on this one too. I love traveling with my Lowerpro rover, and it would take all the gear I'm talking about and most accessories in the bottom compartment, but do I want such a large day-pack as a separate bag to my main backpack to lug everywhere? I consider the lowerpro to be pretty stealth given that it is a very practical photo bag that is good to walk all day with. However, I'm first to admit that I'm not an experienced backpacker, so any advice here would be much appreciated. I could also keep the lenses in lens cases in my main bag and keep my 5D and the lens of the moment wrapped up and inside or on my shoulder at all times.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading everything. Any advice from you, the community, would be really very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    -Yoni

Hi Yoni,

when I started to read your story about wanting a second camera for certain things, I immediately thought about the new GoPro. I have been thinking about one too It would be great for the circumstances you are talking about. It also would be great for time lapses. I believe the new GoPro has a better time-lapse mode than the first model so that's a big plus!
    Quote Originally Posted by StapledPhoto View Post
    Obviously as a camera it has some serious disadvantages against a traditional P&S, like not having a screen or viewfinder!
    That's where you're overlooking something GoPro offers a click on BacPac LCD which can function as an electronic viewfinder. http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

About your normal camera. I'm not sure what to take, since I'm not familiar with the surroundings. Last summer I visited Norway and I wanted to take as little as possible for the possible long hikes. I only took the 5D2 and the 24-105 + tripod and I must say that this combination is great. Of course you'll be wanting some other features on the way, but as you said: you're not there to take photos(not as the main priority).
    If you need something wider, you could try making a panorama. If you'd need more zoom, well you would need to bring another lens. But believe me...every extra accessory in your bag is going to add weight and it will slow you down one way or another.
    The great thing I think about of the 5D2+24-105 set is that it's rugged enough to withstand humid and dusty environments.
    As for the extra lenses next to the 24-105, I cannot recommend anything since I don't know what you'll run into. But as a basic kit, it's a safe bet.

Good luck planning!

Jan

Sounds like a great trip, and your lenses certainly cover a huge range.

The 5dII and 24-105 are no brainers, as is the 50 for low light. But I wonder about the 100-400 on this kind of trip. There's almost no good answer because you know what the lens is capable of, and you're right that you'll miss it if you leave it behind. But bringing it will be tough too.

What is your system for carrying the 100-400 around mounted on the camera? That combo could wear you down after a full day (or days!) out and about without the proper solution. R-strap? Leave it in the backpack until you need it? I've hiked with my 7D/70-300L, which is a little smaller and lighter, all day with an R-strap, and it gets a little uncomfortable over time.

I guess what I am saying is this: if you choose to bring the 100-400, make sure you have a thorough plan for how to carry/use it.

A compromise lens would be the 70-300 USM consumer lens. You lose 100mm and some sharpness, but it's cheaper, smaller and lighter.

And check your insurance coverage! You're talking about bringing $5000-$7000 of gear all in, which is more than many people in SE Asia make all year.

I'm still getting used to the new forums and lost my long response I see that it autosaves, but I have no idea how to recover a save.

Thanks for your responses guys. I should mention that I'm sure my girlfriend will be bringing a standard P&S so I'm at least partially covered on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Hi Yoni,

when I started to read your story about wanting a second camera for certain things, I immediately thought about the new GoPro. I have been thinking about one too It would be great for the circumstances you are talking about. It also would be great for time lapses. I believe the new GoPro has a better time-lapse mode than the first model so that's a big plus!

That's where you're overlooking something GoPro offers a click on BacPac LCD which can function as an electronic viewfinder. http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/
    I'm definitely going to get a LCD attachment, I was just trying to illustrate some of the standard P&S features that are missing at the base price. LCD you can add on, but you can't zoom, control focus or any other manual control settings. At least with the Hero 2 it's not a completely fixed FoV.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    What is your system for carrying the 100-400 around mounted on the camera? That combo could wear you down after a full day (or days!) out and about without the proper solution. R-strap? Leave it in the backpack until you need it? I've hiked with my 7D/70-300L, which is a little smaller and lighter, all day with an R-strap, and it gets a little uncomfortable over time.

I guess what I am saying is this: if you choose to bring the 100-400, make sure you have a thorough plan for how to carry/use it.

A compromise lens would be the 70-300 USM consumer lens. You lose 100mm and some sharpness, but it's cheaper, smaller and lighter.

And check your insurance coverage! You're talking about bringing $5000-$7000 of gear all in, which is more than many people in SE Asia make all year.
    I've done many long walks / hikes with the 100-400 just mounted onto the 5D on the normal camera shoulder strap but I did eventually get a toploader that fits the combination to make things easier and reduce strain on the mount. I don't think the toploader is versatile enough to replace the rover but maybe it could be used in combination with a small day-pack and then be inside my main bag with the other lenses in lens cases when we're moving to a new location. The toploader does scream "expensive telephoto lens inside" when moving around during the day when not taking photos, as compared to the rover, but it would keep the camera accessible, and of course be better than just having the 100-400 out on a strap.

I've been interested in getting an r-strap for a while but more for event photography than travel. You think it'd be good to use clipped into the tripod ring?

70-300 IQ isn't quite up to snuff. I'm more inclined to get a 1.4x extender and bring my 70-200 instead. Seems like a serious improvement and would still be a lot lighter than the 100-400. Here's the comparison

The other option would be a 70-300L, but is it that much better than the 100-400L? which I already own and has greater reach.

Thank you for the note about insurance, it's a must have and I'm definitely not going to take my gear without it. My camera is currently covered by my renter's insurance, but I'm giving up my apartment when we leave so I'll need to see if I can keep that insurance going. Either that or I will have to find new insurance just for the trip. I have the optional travel insurance from my mastercard for flights I purchase with it, but I'm not sure what the covers and if it'll cover me if I take regional flights that I can't use my credit card for.
    Last edited by StapledPhoto; 11-26-2011 at 12:17 AM.

For bag I've just been looking at the Primus AW. The main complaint I've seen for it is that the side pocket is not really functional but people have said it's great to turn around and access through the back while wearing it or putting it down.

Big advantages over the rover are: Can keep the 100-400 mounted, AW, more secure, better construction. It holds less gear, but would hold everything I want to bring on this trip in the bottom compartment and seems to have a larger and better constructed upper compartment. I'm a bit concerned about how the camera and 100-400 will fit in there if it is NOT mounted, which will be pretty often, but this makes the mounted pair almost as accessible as the toploader.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with this bag?

Sounds like a great trip!!

Definitely 5DII and 24-105mm. Not so sure about the 100-400mm - not the most convenient lens for travel when you need to carry everything on your back. I did take the similarly-sized (and slightly heavier) 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on a trip to China, along with a whole bunch of other stuff (5DII, 24-105, 16-35, TS-E 24mm II, 35L, 1.4x TC, 430EX II). But, I didn't need to carry that everywhere I went - mostly it was locked in a Pelican Storm hard case in the hotel room and I carried body and two lenses, choosing them based on what I was going out to shoot.

So, I'd say body plus 24-105, and *maybe* the 70-200/4. I'd skip the flash - I used it only for portraits of my daughters, the 35/1.4 did the trick at night.

I did take a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 CF tripod. It's fairly light, and with the head removed it fits in the Peli carryon (Storm im2500). But you're right that it's conspicuous. I do have the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom with the Joby BH-1 ballhead, and that works quite well for a gripped body and standard zoom, provided you can find something to wrap it around. Not sure I'd trust it with my 100-400.

I'd recommend against the Rover, and instead go with a smaller bag to put in a bigger pack. I like the Toploader Pro 65 AW for body + lens, but it fits a gripped body so maybe something smaller.

The GoPro2 looks interesting, but it seems you also need a waterproof housing for diving? I have an PowerShot S100 and it's a great little camera, with an available dedicated underwater housing. It does well in low light, shoots RAW, has the modes you're used to, etc.

Have a great trip!

--John

I have a Primus AW, don't recommend it for you. I got it for the same reasons you're interested in it. It would be great with a Rebel/xxxD, but getting a 7D/5DII out of the side pocket is something of a wrestling match. With the standard zoom mounted, the 100-400 really only fits in the top compartment, although a smaller lens (70-200/4) would go in the bottom with a standard zoom on the camera.

I'll be selling mine at some point.

Thanks for the info, Neuro!

For the Primus, how do you find access / size when just using the main zipper rather than the side zipper. Some people reported that you could spin the bag around in front of them and access the pockets pretty easily with just the waist belt holding the bag from falling. If that's the case then I'd be fine only ever using the main access rather than even bothering with the clearly undersized side access. I could see myself keeping the 100-400 up top in its lens case when using the standard zoom on cases when I'd want to have both with me.

The toploader I already have (older toploader zoom pro) works very well for the body + 100-400 or body + 24-105 + 50 together. I could get lens cases for the latter two for when the telephoto is in there. That's what you're recommending? I would always have the option of only bringing the toploader on a trek rather than my daybag, but unfortunately I'd need to bring it AND the toploader if I wanted to have both zooms with me or anything other than just camera gear.

I think the tripod would largely be for landscapes so my telephoto wouldn't be on it super often. I'm always happy to keep my hands in the catching position for a few photos anyway. If I get the GoPro, that'll probably be on it for time-lapses too. I'm thinking a Gorillapod may just be the answer to keeping things compact. Do you still find the ballhead super useful given that the legs are pretty flexible?

The new GoPro at $300 includes the waterproof case. A replacement is somehow only $40 too! The canon waterproof cases cost almost as much as the whole GoPro and don't seem to be quite as bulletproof and reliable. All-in-all with the GoPro accessories they'll both end up costing me about $400 for camera and housing but the GoPro does things I can't do with the 5D while the standard P&S would do more of what the 5D can do but not as well. With my girlfriend bringing a standard P&S, the GoPro being quite a bit smaller in the housing, able to do 60fps video, easy time lapses, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a GoPro. My main concern is the focusing issues for diving as right now out of the box a canon + housing will do better. GoPro has been working on their own solution for a while and I'm hoping that'll come out before I leave, but I can get a 3rd party one either way.
    Last edited by StapledPhoto; 11-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.

I'm thinking a Gorillapod may just be the answer to keeping things compact. Do you still find the ballhead super useful given that the legs are pretty flexible?
    I have the gorillapod as well that I took on a backpacking trip to Peru a while ago. They're great for portability and allow you to use a tripod in places you normally wouldn't want to take a full-sized tripod. I don't have the gorillapod ballhead, but I used it with my manfrotto ballhead. Definately a good idea to have some sort of ballhead...when positioning the gorillapod you're sometimes limited by the way the legs wrap around objects to keep the camera steady, the ballhead gives that extra flexibility to keep the camera pointed right where you want it.

Also, make sure you get either the "slr-zoom" or "focus" model; the others won't be sturdy enough to support your camera & lens combinations. I used the slr-zoom with a manfrotto 486RC2 head to support a XSi and up to the 70-200L IS F4 with 1.4x extender combo with no issues. Just need to be carefull how you balance it!

For reference on packing, when I went on my trip I took an XSi, 15-85, 70-200 L IS F4, 1.4x, slr-zoom gorillapod, manfrotto 486RC2 head, and some misc other gear (filters, sd cards, cleaning cloths, etc). For bags I took a lowepro toploader pro 70AW and a lowepro lenscase 3. Both cases I could carry inside my daypack or I could just carry the toploader with camera and mounted lens. The lenscase would also attach to the side of the toploader for when I wanted to carry everything without the daypack. Note that the toploader pro was a little large for my small(er) rebel series camera, but I used that to my advantage because the gorillapod fit inside the toploader alongside the camera. The ballhead fit in another small pouch on the bag as well. I found this to be a pretty versatile travel combination for my trip, but your mileage may vary...

On other point, I found my lenses to be great for what I shot (mostly landscapes and some wildlife) but in hindsight I would have added a fast prime (50 1.4 for example) for some low-light shots. (the amazon jungle can get pretty dark under the canopy!) Also, the 70-200 L IS F2.8 would have been better in some ways, but I was limited to the F4 for budget reasons and also I think the F2.8 may have been too large for many situations. Overall, I'm pleased with the combo of lenses I took and with the photos this allowed me to capture.

Hope you have a great trip!

Stephen

For the Primus, how do you find access / size when just using the main zipper rather than the side zipper. Some people reported that you could spin the bag around in front of them and access the pockets pretty easily with just the waist belt holding the bag from falling.
    That would work, it's how the Flipside series is designed (I really like my Flipside 400 AW). The other problem with the Primus is that the camera compartment isn't that convenient. The dividers are not freely customizable like you're used to from the Rover - there's really just one way to configure them, and all you can do is remove one divider (or both, but then why have a camera bag?).

The toploader I already have (older toploader zoom pro) works very well for the body + 100-400 or body + 24-105 + 50 together. I could get lens cases for the latter two for when the telephoto is in there. That's what you're recommending? I would always have the option of only bringing the toploader on a trek rather than my daybag, but unfortunately I'd need to bring it AND the toploader if I wanted to have both zooms with me or anything other than just camera gear.
    Personally, for a backpacking-type trip I'd prefer the flexibility of multiple smaller bags to insert in a daypack. I'd probably have the camera on a BlackRapid strap most of the time, anyway. That's what I did in China much of the time - camera over shoulder, daypack with second lens inside (in lens case).

I'm thinking a Gorillapod may just be the answer to keeping things compact. Do you still find the ballhead super useful given that the legs are pretty flexible?
    I agree with Stephen - the ballhead helps. The Joby one does the job, and it's really light. Manfrotto would be fine, too, but one of the compact ones not a mid-sized.

The new GoPro at $300 includes the waterproof case.
    Sounds like a great deal, and a good choice for the trip!