Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Travel Kit

Okay thanks again for all the help. That flipsize looks cool, but I think I need something more versatile if it's going to be my only daypack for the trip.

I'm going to get the Joby SLR-Zoom with ballhead combo. As much as I'd like the Focus's metal construction, it's too big, twice as heavy and twice as much money. The SLR-Zoom will probably have trouble with the 100-400L, but that's assuming that I don't opt for the 70-200 instead and realistically almost all of my long exposures/time-lapses will be with the 24-105 or my prime anyway. I'm guessing that with the tripod ring the telephoto should be okay at near horizontal anyway.

I'll get the new GoPro's outdoor kit, LCD BacPac and tripod mount and wait to see if GoPro's underwater solution comes out before I leave. Any other accessories anyone else recommends? Wrist housing or chest harness?

Still not sure about bag but I think I'll take your advice on skipping a large camera daypack(rover,primus) and just get a main pack with a small detachable daypack. I don't think that the daypack will fit a large toploader like mine or the 70/75, but the toploader will make it's own dedicated bag and can fit inside the main pack when I want it to. That will make moving the easiest as the daypack and toploader will both become a part of a single pack.

So instead of lens cases for each lens, if I just bring the 100-400's lens case with dividers for padding, I could have a lot more flexibility. If I bring dedicated 24-105 and 50 lens cases it'll take up as much space but I'll always need to have the 100-400 in the toploader or unprotected in the bag. If I want to skip the toploader and just have the camera on a strap but still bring the 100-400 in the daypack, I can. I can always add socks or clothes to the case if I want to just have one of the smaller lenses in there with the other mounted. What do you guys think?

The canon 100-400 lens case is not well padded so I think if I go this route I should get a lowepro one instead. is the 11x26 the smallest option?

I still think I want the 100-400, and this kit seems manageable for walking around all day. If I swap it'll be to the 70-200 f4 and 1.4x so I'll switch to the appropriate toploader and lens case.

Is the r-strap a big improvement over the standard canon strap? I have to consider ordering one then as well.
    Last edited by StapledPhoto; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StapledPhoto View Post
    Is the r-strap a big improvement over the standard canon strap? I have to consider ordering one then as well.
    It's a huge improvement. I wouldn't travel without it or something similar -- unless you're the kind of photog who likes to keep the camera hidden in a bag right until you need it; shoot; then put it back in the bag. In that case, you don't really need a strap at all (maybe a wrist strap). But for when you want to have the camera ready and accessible for periods of time, it's so much easier. I'd watch the YouTube videos on their website to get a sense for it.

Okay so I think I'm going to get a rs-4 with the newer solid fastener3. I have no interest in the mods and unlike the rs-7, it actually has a zippered pocket built in which will be nice for carrying cash. Also, I really don't like having a "steal me" clip on the back of the rs-7 strap. Any reason to get the rs-7 instead?

My only concern now is the conflict between the fastener and the joby quick release, as I'd want both on the body. I see that they have the D-ring one which doesn't look as sturdy and is made specifically for manfrotto QR plates. I could get a manfrotto head (494rc2?) instead of the joby one but that'll start to get more expensive. With how rarely I'll have the 100-400 on the tripod I can live without having a dedicated QR plate on there but for the body it'll be annoying, no? I'm sure I could live with switching out the fastener for the QR plate, but I'd rather not have to.

If I have the telephoto mounted I'll probably want to be able to put it away into the toploader for walking. The canon strap can fold into the toploader, but I can always just unclip the r-strap and leave it on me until I take the camera back out if I'm using that. With the canon strap being so thin it doesn't really conflict when worn over the same shoulder as the toploader's thick strap. Do you guys think I can wear both the toploader and the r-strap without any problems? I could also just get a hand strap for when I'm using the 100-400 and toploader and only use the r-strap for when I'm using one of the standard lenses.

I'd go with the RS-4. I think either get the Manfrotto mini ballhead with RC2 and the FastenR-T- (I used that setup before switching to Arca-Swiss plates), or just swap FastenR-3 for the Joby QR (keep a coin in the R-strap pocket for the little Joby plate).

I think you'll be fine switching out strap lug for tripod. Usually a tripod shot needs setup time anyway, a little more likely wouldn't hurt. The times when having both mounted matters most (to me) is when using a monopod with the 100-400, where I'm walking around then standing then walking again, lots of quick on-off.

For the 100-400, you'll want the R-strap attached to the tripod foot. Might mean a second FasterR-3 (I had 4 FastenR-T1s with RC2 plates, although now I just use a small AS-type clamp on the R-strap, and Wimberley camera/lens plates).

The RS-4 goes in the Toploader Pro just fine - both with the 100-400mm in the 75 AW or with the 24-105mm in a 65 AW (on gripped bodies). I just fold the strap and wrap it next to the lens barrel.

I often wear R-strap and a Toploader - the latter on my left side (strap on right shoulder), with the two straps crossed across my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'd go with the RS-4...I often wear R-strap and a Toploader - the latter on my left side (strap on right shoulder), with the two straps crossed across my chest.
    +1 on this advice. It's very easy to wear the RS-4 with a pack, top loader etc. I did 12 days in Israel with the RS-4 and a larger camelback (RS-4 under the camelback straps) all day every day. Can't imagine having done this without it!

Okay so I'm gonna pass on the manfrotto head. I'm not that big into tripods anyway, it's not worth the extra ~90 it'll cost to swap to manfrotto head, plates and FastenR-T's instead. I prefer the solid nature of the FastenR-3 as well.

I've ordered the RS-4 with 2 FastenR-3 and the SLR-Zoom w/ ballhead and 2 QR plates. I want to have an extra of each on the trip and they won't go unused either way. If I decide to get a serious pair of legs in the future, I'll think about switching over to a manfrotto setup and selling the joby head. It was very cheap when bundled as a combo with the SLR-Zoom.

One thing that I didn't consider is that, unlike the canon strap, the rs-4 can can be pinned in place by the toploader's strap and not restrict camera movement. Awesome! It's good to know that it'll fit around the lens in the toploader if I want to pack the whole thing away. I have the older toploader, but it's the one the 75 replaced so hopefully it fits too. I'll get them in a couple of days and let you know how I like the combo.

I also ordered cheap knock-off versions of the RS-80N3 and RC-6. Based on the amazon feedback, The rc-6 has a chance at being DOA, but at $7 for both shipped I'll be fine with just one working. The 80 will be really useful for long exposures, especially on the shaky joby legs. RC-6 would just be good for taking pictures of my girlfriend and I together but not essential.

One thing about the Gorillapod - it holds safely, but it's more susceptible to vibration than regular legs. Be sure to use mirror lockup, Live View with silent shooting mode 1 (that's on by default, and uses an electronic first curtain), and 2-sec timer (time for damping after MLU).