• Get the original 5D for $900-$1000

1 5.88%
  • Get the 1DMkII for $1000

0 0%
  • Buy a 5DMkII now

13 76.47%
  • WAIT for a 5DMkIII or a MkII at lower value

3 17.65%

Thread: $1k for a new-used Full-Frame - which one?!

$1k for a new-used Full-Frame - which one?!

Hey folks!
    I just moved to San Francisco and I'm in the market to add a second camera (which will probably become my primary camera) to my setup. I currently am happy with my 7D for sports and whatnot, but not so much weddings, portraits, etc... I've been seeing on CL here that I can get an original 5D for $1k (actually 900 from one guy). It's Digic II, crappy screen, not the best noise-reduction technologies, not super high ISO etc... but it's under a grand and it's full-frame.

Option 2 is what I just saw this morning: 1D-MkII for $1k. Hmm.... didn't they come out around the same time? In which case the 1-Series would be the better buy, no?

Option 3.... WAIT and don't do a damn thing 'til the elusive 5DMkIII comes out and either buy it, or a 5DMkII as the price will probably drop at that point.... any suggestions?

Assuming you have the funds, get the 5DII now... Else, I'd say wait for the 5DIII.

I vote for the 5D2. I'm not sure how the original 5D performs, but I'm guessing you might not like the menu layout and other things that you've gotten used to on the 7D. Simply because I don't know the original 5D, it doesn't get my vote. Same for the 1D2 actually :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Option 3.... WAIT and don't do a damn thing 'til the elusive 5DMkIII comes out and either buy it, or a 5DMkII as the price will probably drop at that point.... any suggestions?
    Option 3 is not a good option in my opinion. I get the feeling that you're looking into a full frame camera and use it "professional". In other words, you want to make some money with it. For now, you don't even know when and if a 5D3 will be announced. And also, in the case it will be announced, how long it will take before you can get your hands on one. (thinking about the delays in the new tele-lenses series )
    If you had been certain that the wait was 1 or maybe 2 months, option 3 would be reasonable to me. But at this point, you're business "suffers" and that might cost you a lot more over time.

Basically said, the 5D2 is an amazing camera now and I'm pretty sure it can be competitive for quite a while still. Even if a new camera will be announced.

Good luck,
    Jan

I voted for you to buy the 5DII now because from what I see there are some really hot deals out there right now for the holidays!

Denise

Business expense? Think you can right the full amount off this year (which is only a few weeks left). Better hurry I always go back to the reviews on this site. I look at the model that replaced it more than anything. He usually shoots pretty straight on whether the ISO or new features are worth the extra. I do agree about the 5d2 already having similar button placements, and AFMA is good to have. Even if they announce a third version soon, it'll be June before it's available. Are the missed shots worth it?

Well, I voted for the 5D for $1,000 but I do agree with the 5DmkII but you'll have to save some more to get there. I have the 5D and love it. The 1DmkII is a little older and smaller screen. The 2" screen is just too small. The 2.5" of the 5D is acceptable but I would much prefer the 3" the 7D has. In some ways the 1DmkII has better IQ but in others the 5D. The 5D wins for skin tones. The 5D has better high ISO performance than the 7D, not by a lot but also better dynamic range.
    With the 5D or 5DmkII you'll miss the AF and frame rate of your 7D but for weddings and portraits its fine.
    Your best option is to save some more and get the 5DmkII.
    Mark
    Mark

Hey thanks everyone for your input! Clemmb: I think though the 7D has a better AF system that the focusing "in general" on the 5D MkII is actually BETTER because in low-light and having a sensor that's more sensitive as it is, it seems to focus at least as well... and in churches and stuff it focuses much better than the 7D using the same lens.

I'm surprised no one here has caught my error!!! The 1DMkII isn't full-frame. I can't believe I didn't realize that... though I did see a 1DsMkII for $1100 a few weeks ago. I think it doesn't matter though as really it seems the best option is get the 5DMkII while the gettin' is good. I thank you all for your advice and I may just pick one up soon!

- Jordan
    www.freshphotography.us

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I think though the 7D has a better AF system that the focusing "in general" on the 5D MkII is actually BETTER because in low-light and having a sensor that's more sensitive as it is, it seems to focus at least as well... and in churches and stuff it focuses much better than the 7D using the same lens.
    Interesting observation, and one that I have noticed as well - provided you're using the 5DII's center AF point, it seems to do a little better in low light than the 7D. The off-center points on the 5DII fail miserably in low light, and sometimes even in decent light (whereas the off-center points on the 7D are failry equivalent to the center point). The specs on low-light performance don't tell the whole story - the AF sensors in the 5DII and 7D (and xxD/xxxD cameras, too) are rated at the same -0.5 EV sensitivity.

I will vote for the 5D MK II
    Wait a little they start coming down in price, I have 2 for my work and i love them !!!!

Sorry for showing my lack of familiarity with the FF world, would a used 1DsII be a viable option for a first FF camera?