View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • DavidEccleston

5 23.81%
  • ddt0725

6 28.57%
  • rslhc

7 33.33%
  • ham

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 28 - In the streets - Congrats rslhc

Assignment 28 - In the streets - Congrats rslhc

The topic is called "In the streets" and here's a small description by CLS:

"Street photography is an area of photography that fascinates me. I often see street photos I really like but I just can’t seem to take any good ones myself. I was thinking that if each of us in this international forum brings our camera out in our streets, there could be a nice collection of international moments, places and people. Street photography is not easily defined and the subject can be interpreted in many ways - show us your own version of street photography."

The following entries have been selected as finalists:

Name: David Eccleston
    Motivation: A photo that raise questions: “What is a little girl doing on her own in the big city?”, “Where is she going?”, “What is she thinking of?”

Name: ddt0725
    Motivation: The image tells how people's lives can take different directions. How did they end up here?

Name: rslhc
    Motivation: This is a really cool and graphically appealing mixture of blacks and colorful lights.

Name: Ham
    Motivation: A nicely composed shot of a beautiful alley with the baker placed in the right part of the frame - simply beautiful.

Good luck finalists! The poll will be open for 2 days!
    Last edited by Sheiky; 12-19-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Guess I made it just 2 days...

A few 'street photos' showing the busy bustling nature of Downtown Ottawa, and Parliament Hill.

Juicy, the mostly black Aussie is Zuni's brother. Juicy, the alternate Magda you'll see below, and Wanda all flew from Poland to Mexico. Then, somehow, in broken English, managed to hitchhike and camp their way up the west coast of the US, then across Canada to Ottawa, where they stayed with us for a week or so. They went back to the US for another week or two of travels before finally flying back home to Poland. Brave girls, and a very well socialized dog.

My entry is 'A Girl and her Mouse'.

A girl and her mouse by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Zuni training an alternate Magda. by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Bella training Juicy by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Parliament Hill by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Centennial Flame by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Here's my submission for now. "Street" in this case is a frozen river!

More traditional ones.

Last edited by thekingb; 12-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Daydreaming and Paper-planes

Where's she going?

Neither is my entry.
    Last edited by ham; 12-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

This is a photo I took of two homeless men down by Lake Michigan. The man on the right had found some discarded food and was trying to build a fire to warm it. It was freezing outside and very, very windy so he wasn't having much luck. The man on the left stopped to chat a bit and then walked up to me asking for change. Apparently, the man with the food was unwilling to share his meal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunger In America_3.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	195

I took this when I had just started out in photography with my Rebel and kit lens. It was so cold outside that I was shaking uncontrollably and the photo is quite blurry! It was taken in .jpeg and then edited afterwards, I had no clue what RAW was all about at that point! I suppose it isn't exactly the best photo to submit for an assignment but it is a shot that made me discover the power of street photography!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 12-07-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Oh wow, great shots so far already! Also great stories with the photos.
    I love to compete on this one, but since it's way different than the things I normally take pictures of this will be quite a challenge for me.
    I must say that I'm a bit out of my comfort zone when taking photos publicly, but at least I have to try

I'm not much for street, although coincidentally I was walking around the city the other day teaching my friend a few things, we were in a place called Hindley Street, it's one of the drinking strips around here, had a lot of social/drunken problems and fights during the nights (although it's a lot better than it was 20 years ago), during the day there's a lot of cool artsy cafes and such (i wouldn't take my camera there at night), a uni down the road, and still some hotels (not unlike parts of Amsterdam).
    In short, it's a place with character, and I reckon this shot nicely sums up that character: headquarters of the symphony orchestra next to a 2nd-hand op-shop (in a run-down building that reminds me of Singapore); "massage" parlour further down (not sure if the strip-club is in shot or not, maybe it's just out of frame); and the 1970s car just pulling in (probably with a bogan/bikie driving, or maybe an old guy who's kept the car for 40 years).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1595-1600br6m_stack_hdr_0000_pregamma_1_fattal_alpha_0.5_beta_0.9_saturation_0.5_noiseredux_.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	198
    7D, samyang 35/1.4 @ f/6 or so, 6-shot (2/3EV apart) HDR handheld, stitched in Hugin (with some pedestrians masked out) and tone-mapped in Luminance using 'Fattal' algorithm. I've kept a bit of saturation in there, because the place does really have a lot of 'colour' (in every sense of the word). I might come across some better algorithm later on, but for now this is my entry...

ps, @ denise, I love that shot. I wouldn't really have noticed the blur if you hadn't pointed it out, but it adds even more to the character of the shot (I can feel you shivering along with them)

How is this for a street view?
    The Grand Tetons

The Grand Tetons by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Not sure this will be my submission, but I am pretty sure I won't find a better subject.

Edit: I hope every one notices my use of the horizontal polarizer across the top of the picture.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-07-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Is that a polariser or a soft-edge GND? How many stops?