Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting an old prison: Photojournalists, Strobists and anyone else please chime in.

Shooting an old prison: Photojournalists, Strobists and anyone else please chime in.

I was recently asked to shoot some portraits of people visiting the old Santa Fe State Penitentiary. (I know, I don't do people) but since this is for charity, I accepted. I also asked if I could shoot parts of the prison independantly and was given permission to do so. I have never done any photo-journalistic type work but have always wanted to shoot this old prison---there is a lot of history there. If you aren't aware, the old Santa Fe prison was the sight of the bloodiest prison riot in U.S. History. It has been featured on many documentaries and in several prison movies and is rumored to be one of the most haunted places in the US. So my question: What now?

I have equipment, lighting and permission but have no clue how to shoot photojournalistic type material. I am guessing my two primary lenses should be my 10-22 and my 50 1.2L (should I consider renting something else?), I also plan to process everything in black and white---Is Silver EFX Pro worth the money for something like this? I really want to bring out the dark emotions and eerie feeling of this place, but I am not sure how to really communicate this through still images.

For me, this is a far stretch from wildlife and nature so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    It has been featured on many documentaries and in several prison movies and is rumored to be one of the most haunted places in the US. So my question: What now?
    The only answer I have is: Have fun....

It sounds like a cool opportunity. My only suggestion is that if you get any ghost pictures don't post them on the internet immediatly. Wait till you get a big bucks offers from the tabloids and make some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The only answer I have is: Have fun....

It sounds like a cool opportunity. My only suggestion is that if you get any ghost pictures don't post them on the internet immediatly. Wait till you get a big bucks offers from the tabloids and make some cash.
    Another great suggestion from HD
    Bob

Sounds like a great opportunity, Bob!

Some random thoughts:

- think outside your personal box
    - shoot at odd angles to maximize strangeness
    - shoot small details: locks, bars, wicked-looking metal projections
    - water dripping down walls
    - rust stains that might be blood
    - hope for interesting clouds for exterior shots, else minimize sky

For some people shots, pick a subject or two (perhaps 'attractive', perhaps 'gritty-looking'h and track them (think elk!) to try and capture some evocative facial expressions.

Have fun!!

Definitely HDR stuff, or at least bracket for it now in case you decide later to try some. Odd shots as mentioned work well. If they had electric chairs, maybe a shot from the ground looking up. Not that it wouldn't already ready look huge and scary. I'm excited to see some stuff already.
    NIK has a two week trial. I'd watch a video or two on their youtube thing and then test drive it.

First off, check you don't have any outstanding warrants.
    Great suggestions above and I would say Nik Silver is definitely worth the money, very easy to use.
    Good luck, have fun with it.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Check out the internet for "urban exploration" or just "urban" photography and look at some of those shots. The idea of urban is that you shoot photos at abandoned or closed down buildings. In the category you might get some ideas of interesting shooting angles and styles.

As for software, don't buy before you try. A lot of programs offer unlimited use of the program for a small period of time(30 days or so). Use that time. Silver Efx might work, yesterday when downloading DxO I saw that they also have a similar program for B&W and personally I use Alien Skin Exposure 3. Enough choices

Have fun!

A couple of shots with the contrast pushed a little to far and a real grainy look would help enhance that gritty, surreal feel of the place. Try some real high ISO's with exposer compensation in the negitives may get you some real grainy B&W's... some may not like that type of picture, but in this case I think that is what would give the right feel to the picure.

It also may help the effect to push the sharpening a little farther than you would normally.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Sounds like a great opportunity, Bob!

Some random thoughts:

- think outside your personal box
    - shoot at odd angles to maximize strangeness
    - shoot small details: locks, bars, wicked-looking metal projections
    - water dripping down walls
    - rust stains that might be blood
    - hope for interesting clouds for exterior shots, else minimize sky

For some people shots, pick a subject or two (perhaps 'attractive', perhaps 'gritty-looking'h and track them (think elk!) to try and capture some evocative facial expressions.

Have fun!!
    Great ideas and tips John---I was thinking low and close on many of the shots, especially when looking down the hallways and cell blocks, I also want to really put the 10-22 to good use recognizing some lens correction is inevitable. Regarding the exterior shots, I am sure I can talk my way into one of the towers which may be another good use of the 10-22 or even try a pano.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    Definitely HDR stuff, or at least bracket for it now in case you decide later to try some. Odd shots as mentioned work well. If they had electric chairs, maybe a shot from the ground looking up. Not that it wouldn't already ready look huge and scary. I'm excited to see some stuff already.
    NIK has a two week trial. I'd watch a video or two on their youtube thing and then test drive it.
    Yes---definitely some HDR opportunities, and I am hoping to get some shots that I can venture beyond the HDR reality and and experiment with the "grunge" look (actually, I call it the "Saturday Evening Post" look) but you get the hint. I also downloaded the trial of Silver EFX pro----Very nice program and operates much like HDR EFX Pro, which I own. I'll try the other recommendations as well.

Thanks
    Bob