Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Stock Photos Online - Good or Bad?

Selling Stock Photos Online - Good or Bad?

I am interested in hearing your opinions on selling stock photos online? Good idea? Bad idea? Which are the best ones to go with? ShutterPoint claims to give the best payout on the web but are they the best or most popular?

All comments greatly appreciated!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I am interested in hearing your opinions on selling stock photos online? Good idea? Bad idea? Which are the best ones to go with? ShutterPoint claims to give the best payout on the web but are they the best or most popular?

All comments greatly appreciated!

Denise
    Making money is always a good idea.

I wouldn't have any advice one way or the other, but there are some tutorials on Yuri Arcurs website. Maybe they might help.

http://www.arcurs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Making money is always a good idea.

I wouldn't have any advice one way or the other, but there are some tutorials on Yuri Arcurs website. Maybe they might help.

http://www.arcurs.com/
    Thank you for providing this link! I found it a very interesting article and VERY helpful!!

I started this post a number of months ago and yesterday I did finally add a few photos to an online stock agency that were accepted. I'm still unsure if this is a smart or beneficial route to take. I know it's not a get rich quick idea but since my unemployment checks are coming to a halt within a few weeks generating some $ is always better than nothing! So far, I have only uploaded a handful of photos but I'm hesitating on whether I should continue.

Anyone else doing this? Opinions or posts of anyone's personal experience with selling stock photos would be greatly appreicated!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I started this post a number of months ago and yesterday I did finally add a few photos to an online stock agency that were accepted. I'm still unsure if this is a smart or beneficial route to take. I know it's not a get rich quick idea but since my unemployment checks are coming to a halt within a few weeks generating some $ is always better than nothing! So far, I have only uploaded a handful of photos but I'm hesitating on whether I should continue.

Anyone else doing this? Opinions or posts of anyone's personal experience with selling stock photos would be greatly appreicated!
    I don't see how it could hurt you, another possible source of income from photography

I looked at ShutterStock in the past but I didn't think any of my material would be very desirable in view of the millions of images out there and I didn't really have time to develope a portfolio of stock images. At the time I was looking I only had bird images. I may consider it again sometime once I get a more diverse portfolio or have more time to specifically work on it.

Denise,

If you start making a bunch of money at this, please let us know. We will want to jump in to.

Stock Photo's looks like a volume game to me. The more you can get out the better chance you have at making some.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    You are right about stock photography not being a quick way to earn a whole lot. Even those few people who earn a living from it required a few years to really get things figured out from the buyer's perspective. Am looking at starting to go that route myself shortly but did find that most of my pictures are lacking in copy space. A little more research and then I'll be putting some real effort into devoloping, and building, a stock portfolio.

The portfolio of Lise Gagne would be an interesting one to look at. Leads iStock for downloads.

Out of curiousity I am wondering if you have had any success with print sales? So many of your shots, especially those with backgrounds, would look amazing on canvas!!
    I don't print and display any of my photos so no sales there. As far as my website goes, I pretty much stopped adding photos to it a number of months ago. I was thinking of adding a few of my recent ones but no, I haven't sold anything from there either ...except a mousepad to my youngest daughter!

I did finally put a poster up at my dog's veterinarian's office a few days ago. I also ordered a free box of business cards that should be here soon. I will put a few up at the local pet and grocery stores ...wherever I can find bulletin boards. I am also going to start passing them out to other dog walkers at the lake when I walk my dogs. Many people there have walked up to me asking about my camera etc. so now I will freely hand them a card! I also updated my ads in two sections on the local craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    For prints it is really tough to sell them online through a web site where the potential client is viewing on a monitor that may, or may not, be colour profiled and definitely won't have the border and frame in place. Those who cover events and are provided the email lists of the participants are much more successful as they have a specific product to market directly to potential clients. One lesson I've learned the hard way.

On the flip side, when I produce and mount prints and canvasses I am able to sell them. Not a great flood but I target local eateries and coffee shops that are willing to hang them on the wall and handle the transaction on my behalf for a modest commission. The more successful are those of local landmarks and some shots that are in the realm of fine art category. In terms of sizes I find that 11x14 or 17 is the smallest I want to put out there. With a decent sized mat and frame it looks like art. Anything smaller just doesn't have the visual pull to draw people in. 24x36 is too big for prints with the matting and framing but looks splendid on canvas which finishes off smaller when wrapped.
    Hopefully, some day in the future, I will be able to do that! It sounds like it great way to make some sales!

I have been selling stock since 2008, at first I was with all major stock agencies and then became exclusive with iStockPhoto who is also owned by Getty, people can make good money with stock even though images are licenced for only cents however, those making a living from it have major upfront investments in equipment, studio and models.

Street and product photography sell but you have to be lucky to hit the right market, you also have the ever increasing issue of copyright to deal with, an agency like ALAMY licence images for good money and I have had images sell for more than I have ever made with IS selling 500+ images again luck or shooting anything and everything is the answer to selling an image, with Alamy you are in a basket with 34 million other images all looking for a buyer.

Bottom line, unless you are the next Ansell your chances of living off income from stock is not good it will take time and a large portfolio with goods agencies before you even see a modest return on your time and effort.

As your are also aware by now all your images have to be approved for technical competence and some agencies like IS also judge the commercial or creative content, as an existing stock shooter I'd encourage you to find another vocation but in saying that a big part of me wants to reduce the competition

Still happy to answer your questions if I can

David

Welcome to the forums, David and thank you for your input! Very helpful inside information!

I, by no means was looking at this to be any major source of income or my career of choice. Just something to dabble in to see if a few bucks is made from it at any point. I just thought if I can take a few minutes to upload photos on flickr every day, what's the harm in taking a few extra minutes and submit them as possible stock photos also.

Obviously, dabbling would be more a waste of time than anything. Looks like you really need to give it complete 100% dedication to earn just that few $.