Thread: Variable Neutral Density ND Filter

Variable Neutral Density ND Filter

Guy here is my question
    Looking to get a Variable Neutral Density ND Filter like the tiffen
    Anyone using it ?
    Looking to get some feedback
    Thanks
    Emmanuel

I use the Tiffen Digital HT Grad ND filter and love it. Others probably use B&W or Hoya. Any way you go, a Grad ND is definitely handy and allows you use of your lens hood that other methods will not allow. Of course the trade off is that you have no control of the gradient vertically. Meaning that it will always end usually about mid frame. That can be troublesome if your intention is to include more landscape than sky as it will darken the horizon.

I think it has it's uses and I will most certainly always own one.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Wait a second. Heh. *variable* nd filter. I'm completely off base. My bad.

I have no experience to speak of with a variable ND filter. I remember a discussion about them on here though. If I remember right the consistency of the effect was brought into question and there were test photos posted to illustrate it's usefullness. I don't remember the end result though. Anyone have a link to that thread by chance?
    Last edited by Rocco; 12-07-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Not a problem
    I'm using Lee nd grand filters