Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does the skin turn ORANGE in color???

Being lazy by asking rather than investigating this myself, but I do have a ColorRight WB tool, which works like a gray card for setting custom WB except you place it over your lens and take a shot, and it hashes the incoming light to 18% gray. It's been gathering dust since I started shooting RAW and just adjusting WB in post. My question is, if you set a Custom WB in-camera, shoot RAW, and open that RAW file in a 3rd party converter (DxO, LR3, etc.), will that 3rd party converter use the custom WB? I'm guessing the answer is yes, since they use what's stored by Auto as the shot settings, but confirmation would be nice.

Yesterday, I was shooting in a courtroom with horrible mixed lighting. Fortunately, being a courtroom there was white paper laying around that served for a WB reference in post. But I might bust out the ColorRight again and try custom WB for RAW shooting - in some settings, that might give better results than guessing in post.

@Jonnhy I'll have to check the papers, but I don't think I can legally communicate with Chuck in any form for another five years. I didn't think a 100mm macro lens would be considered "stalking" length. As a side note, he does have really nice pores.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    will that 3rd party converter use the custom WB? I'm guessing the answer is yes, since they use what's stored by Auto as the shot settings, but confirmation would be nice.
    Yes. In LR3 it's listed as "As Shot" in the list of WB options and is there by default when the raw is opened.
    Last edited by Rocco; 12-09-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks, Rocco!

hi neuro,

you mentioned the Clor rightwb tool you place over the lens how would this compare to the GF lightsphere domes, whereby you putthe white/standard lightsphere dome over the lens and takea shot.....Would you say that they operate in somewhat same principle? Or would the Color Right give better more accurate results???

Same principle, although the Colorright is hashing to gray instead of white.