Thread: Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM

Hi

Can anyone point me to a good review of this lens?

I currently have a 5D mark II and a Canon 400/5.6. I primarily do aviation photography.

To get more reach than my current equipment, my options seem very limited. The new Canon super-telephotos are prohibitively expensive.

The Sigma 300/2.8 can be found in the UK for less than half the cost of the Canon equivalent. How does it compare? I dont expect it to be as good, but is it close? I'm thinking this lens with a 2x TC would give 600/5.6 when I need it and a high quality, fast 300mm the rest of the time.

Or would I be better off using a 1.4x TC with my 400mm and manual focussing?

Thanks!

Not to be dense, but you say "To get more reach than my current equipment," and mention that you already have a 400mm, when your post is about a 300mm lens? I understand you could make it 600mm with a 2x, but still....

I would think a TC, like the 1.4x III, would be a better fit for your needs on a budget. My first recommendation to you, though, would be to buy a clean used copy of the 50D, which would give you an EFL of 640mm with the lens you've already got, and at f5.6, it would still AF. Also, you'd still have access to AFMA. This will only set you back $600-700 at most, and would give you more pixels on target than you have with the 5DII.

Also, wanted to point out the obvious, which is that this would also provide you a backup body, just in case.