Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4L Vs Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens

Canon 35mm f/1.4L Vs Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens

Guys, I have almost decided to get the 35mm, however after reading the review on 24mm on this site, I am not able to decide.
    As of now I have a crop and planning to upgrade to FF and I am looking for a lens for weddings and birthday parties.
    Also the review on 24 says that it got weather sealing and some other things that 35mm does not have.
    Can some one please throw some light and show me the path

Gandhi

I own both. I can tell you the differences I see, but what it comes down to is which length do you need? 35mm or 24mm? That question you will need to sort out.

The 24mm was the first o have the SWC (Sub Wavelength Structure Coating). It is supposed to help with ghosting, flare and reflection. Whether because of this new technology, or something else, I can tell you there is a little bit of difference between the 35mm and the 24mm's image quality. The 24mm seems to handle the color and richness of pictures slightly better. In the overall scheme of things it does this only very (VERY) slightly. The normal person will most likely never see a difference between two equally framed pictures with both lenses.

The other differences important to me in the two lenses are really length related. The 24mm of course gives you wider view, a deeper depth of field. If you are going to do birthday parties with a crop camera I think it would be a very useful lens. For me it borders on being to wide with a full frame for taking pictures like this.

On a FF:
    I would prefer the 35mm inside work.
    I prefer the 35mm as a general walk around outside lens because of the focal length.
    I would prefer the 24mm for outside landscape and building type pictures.

Buy either one, they are both superb lenses.

Rick

Rick
    Thank you very much for the insight.
    24mm to 35mm is just 11mm difference,do you think it will make much difference?

Yes it does make a difference. The 24mm will give you a field of view about 40% wider. On a FF in some cases you might feel the 35mm is to narrow for landscapes but not always. The same is true you will feel the 24mm is to wide for what you are trying to capture inside.

I think on a crop camera the 35mm would be getting to narrow for landsape work outside for what I like to shoot. The 24mm would be much more usable inside with the crop. So on a crop camera I think the two lenses become more similar to each other in their uses.

Lets say, for a typical wedding or birthday party, which one is better and which one would have more bokeh?

For framing purposes, if your subject is four feet in front of you, you will crop off about one and a half feet by switching to the longer lens. Those are rough numbers, but it gives you an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    Lets say, for a typical wedding or birthday party, which one is better and which one would have more bokeh?
    Since I never have shot a weeding, I can't say on a typical wedding. But as for birthday parties, having five kids and eight grand kids I get this opportunity.

Bokeh would be a rare thing indoors with these lens (at least by the standards of what I consider bokeh to be which would be an area completely blurred). It is much more about out of focus areas.

The wider the lens the deeper the depth of field at equal appertures. The 24mm on a full frame camera would give you far less out of focus area as the 35mm.

One thing the 35mm is good at, you can shoot a subject at a wider aperture and really put the surrounding back ground out of focus to draw attention to your subject.This type of picture gives you a sense of where you are at, and still isolates the subject. Done properly the 35mm can do it better than any other lens I have owned. Because of the larger depth of field of the 24mm, it is harder to do this than it is with the 35mm. (these are observations using a FF camera, with the Crop Sensor and its wider DOF I think the performance would be different)

Thank you very much , its an education for me.
    My dilemma is 35mm is such an old lens and there must be some kind of update to it in the near future , at the same time bh photo video is giving really good discount on it, so I am not able to make up my mind whether to take it or wait.
    I do photography only as a hobby/passion but I dont live on it,so discount is something I look for, I bought 100mm and 135mm in the last two weeks. Looking for the third one...

Perfect timing, there's a new post on CR that a 35/1.4 II will be announced early January, just before CES. But still might not make it onto the shelves much before March if you're lucky. How badly would you want it now?
    (I still vote Samyang 35, but that's me. If a Korean company with not much experience can make a lens as great as that, surely canon with their 60+ years can figure out how to beat it.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Yeah, even I saw that on CR, but is that a rumor or for sure? , if thats for real I can definitely wait,