Thread: PC hardware question

Alan

PC hardware question

This is definitely off topic from photography....

On the back of my PC, there are two knock-outs, near the bottom of the case. These knock-outs are 1/2" x 3" long. It's not the typical PCI slot cover, nor does a low profile slot cover work in these openings. Just a couple of holes on either side of the long ends, for attaching some sort of card, with small bolts/nuts, I presume.

The mother board does not have any PCI sockets near these knock-outs.

I presume that this space could be used for attaching some sort of circuit board to, but what?

Any help on what these empty spaces are potentially used for, I would appreciate it.

I would check the case manufacturer's manual. It could be related to a water cooling system of some sort, more than the typical "two holes for tubes".

Another possibility: I've seen things like you describe for firewire, MIDI, serial ports, etc. They come with a cable that goes to the correct spot on the motherboard. It's possible that your case didn't come with them because so few people ever need them, and perhaps they are an optional accessory available for purchase.
    Last edited by Daniel Browning; 12-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Daniel is probably right. If the knock-outs are not standard sized like typical PCI-slot covers the case usually has the appropriate plate with a cable to the motherboard for additional USB-ports or some other ports.

Does the case have usb 3.0 on the front? USB headers on the motherboards are finally becoming common, but the solution that was in place was for two cables to run from the front of the case, through a pci slot cover, then finally to two USB 2.0 ports in the back. Without those 3.0 headers that was pretty much the only way to get 3.0 speed to the front of the case. That's what it sounds like to me. Either that or, like already stated, it's for running tubing for a rear or top mounted radiator.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Bah. I type too slow, apparently. what they said.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Alan

This is probably it....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    I would check the case manufacturer's manual. It could be related to a water cooling system of some sort, more than the typical "two holes for tubes".

Another possibility: I've seen things like you describe for firewire, MIDI, serial ports, etc. They come with a cable that goes to the correct spot on the motherboard. It's possible that your case didn't come with them because so few people ever need them, and perhaps they are an optional accessory available for purchase.
    Daniel, I believe you are correct. I just talked to a guy who has an older machine, and he looked inside of it. Sure enough, down near the bottom of the case, in the rear, was a small card. Attached to it was a small cable that went to the mother board. It was an audio output card of some type.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Alan