Thread: Can I use Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Autofocus for group photos at weddings?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I did a friend's wedding, and the 24-70 was a great choice, particularly with the flash umbrellas, but if you want a prime, I think the suggestion to figure it out with your zoom is a fantastic one.

However, I specifically have a problem with the 50 f1.2L. Qualitatively, a great picture. Build quality is fantastic. However, I wouldn't want one unless I could sell it for something else. It has a fairly serious ( in my opinion) back focus problem as you stop down narrower than f/1.2. Brian mentions this issue in his review. I also remember reading about it on www.lensrentals.com. I owned one, and first thought mine was defective when I noticed that those out of focus shots weren't in fact my fault. I sent it back to Canon, they claimed to have fixed it, I saw it again, and they responded by telling me that i just needed to stop down even more, like using an F/1.2 lens at F/2 or F/2.8 was a dumb idea. When it was tight with money and time to make rent, it was the first to go. I would NOT use it for a wedding, when you have marginally managed chaos, and want to be able to grab shots that don't come again. If you want 50mm, I'd suggest the 1.4. Almost as fast, and so far as I know, the Autofocus works at any F stop. Plus, it's way cheaper. If they come out with a 50mm L series that performs like the 85mm F1.2L II, I'll be interested.
    Last edited by Colin; 01-19-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: mistakes