Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens too wide for FF?

Is Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens too wide for FF?

Guys I need your expert opinion, is Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens too wide for FF ? Can it be used as a general purpose lens like 35mm?
    What do you think is a good lens to shoot a group of around 6 to 7 people?
    Also any word about the 35mm II ?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    Guys I need your expert opinion, is Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens too wide for FF ?
    Nah. I use it more than any other lens on my 5D2.

Can it be used as a general purpose lens like 35mm?
    Well, for some shots, the 35mm will require you to back up too much and it will pull in enough background. Similarly, there are going to be shots where the 24 pulls in a little too much background and requires you to get a little too close to your subject. Between those two, it just depends on which type of shot you prefer to make more often. For me it's the 24, but I think most people would prefer 35. A better general purpose lens would be a zoom.

What do you think is a good lens to shoot a group of around 6 to 7 people?
    It depends on how the shot is composed. I *love* 24mm group shots, with people spaced out, interacting with their environment. But I don't like it so much if they were all standing right next to eachother and tightly framed with a 24mm, I'd probably want to go with about 50mm for that if I have the room.

Also any word about the 35mm II ?
    Those who tell, don't know. Those who know, don't tell.

Lets say if I am using the lens for a smaller group of lets say 3 to 4, then I would have to come closer to the subject which might create distortion, isnt it?

Yes, differences in perspective distortion can be an issue, but for me the bigger factor is working space and background. It's a balance between lots of small background and a little large background. Overall I think compositions with the 24mm are harder than 50mm, but also more rewarding when they work, for the same reason.

The 24mm is a superb general purpose lens, on any format, probably a little bit more suited as a general mpurpose on a crop body than a FF. It is the perfect group shot lens at parties where room to back up is sometimes not there.
    The 35mm version 2 is a rumor, please remember that the Canon 500mm version2 is not a rumor, it was anounced over 12 months ago and still are not for sale. The 35mm could be at least 12 months or longer before you can actually buy one.
    The Zeiss 35/1.4 is available, is an incredible lens and is worthy of investigation.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Saturday night, while taking pictures at the festival of lights, I asked the wife, son and his girlfriend to pose under a long light tunnel.

I was using the 5D II with my 24mm F1.4L II. I asked the wife to move closer, then again closer, and she asked why do we have to be so close?
    With them framed right, about 4 feet away, I took the pic. Later she was looking at it, and she said why does this make me look so huge?
    I looked at the pic, it was cold that night and everyone was in heavy coats. The wife had her hands in the coat pockets and they were pushed forward in front of her, this caused the coat to be pushed out closer to the camera. Of course the 24mm distorted this and she appears to have gained 40 pounds for the picture.

If you go the 24mm route, you will hear the question quit often "why do I have to be so close?"

And until you learn to use it, you will have to explain why certain body parts look larger than they should.

I am with Daniel and his statement, the 24mm is on my 5D II more than any other lens as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    The Zeiss 35/1.4 is available, is an incredible lens and is worthy of investigation.
    Steve

Since you own the 21mm Zeiss now, would you say all the Zeiss Hype is justified?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    The 24mm is a superb general purpose lens, on any format,
    Well, I wouldn't say *any* format. With the EF adapter on the Canon XL-H1, the 24mm is equivalent to a super-telephoto 173mm, which makes it pretty hard to use for group portraits.

Ordered 24mm from b and h, will receive it tomorrow (ny to md hardly takes 1 day).

Thank you thank you thank you for all the education and insight

as of now proud owner of prime lens 100mm , 135mm , will be a proud owner of 24mm, what next????? Probably 85mm 1.2

@Daniel, good call mate I like that one.
    @ Rick, I have the 21 and the 35mm and they live up to the hype. The 21 is without peer in my opinion and the 35mm is always attached to my camera as a general purpose lens it is my favourite. I have only ever known of one person to get rid of their 21mm and he sold it to buy the 35, but we all remember who that was. I take these 2 lenses and the 70-300mm L with me everywhere.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur