Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New DSLR owner having problems

New DSLR owner having problems

I recently purchased the Canon Rebel XS from B&H with the included kit lens. While I had no misgivings that this was going to make my photography fantastic overnight, especially with the kit lens, I also did not think it would frustrate me to this degree. Unfortunately, I don't have any images handy to post right now, but basically I'm finding that everything I shoot seems to be soft, even to the point of being blurry, even with a flash, especially indoors. Even some cloudy outdoor stuff I shot yesterday wasn't real compelling. What am I doing wrong? Do I need something better than the kit lens to expect better results? I'm thinking of getting a prime f/1.4 lens, since most of my photography is indoor and zoom is not so important. Any help is appreciated.

Re: New DSLR owner having problems

Hi David. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

To answer your questions more information is needed. An example photo would be great, that way we can see what you are seeing. Then the Exif information from the photo, so that we can see what settings you are using.

Just go take a photo and then post it.

Without seeing examples, it sounds like the shutter speed may be a little slow (low light, indoors). You might want to try Av mode and try increasing ISO to maybe 600 or so. Noise should not be much of a problem. Primes are good and large apatures let in a lot of light, but they also give you shallow depth of field to blur backgrounds (great effect!). You might look into a 16-35 f2.8L for indoor zoom.

Thanks for all the quick replies! As soon as I can, I'll post some images in this thread.

don't get discourage David, it takes a while to get a hang of DSLR []..post some samples and we can help you point out what needs to improve.

Ok, here goes.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/DPP_5F00_0847.JPG[/img]

This one I consider to be pretty decent. Exif data:

File name
    DPP_0847.JPG
    Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS
    Firmware
    -
    Shooting Date/Time
    2/21/2009 20:19:14
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/200Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F5.6
    Metering Modes
    -
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    -
    Focal Length
    49.0 mm
    Image size
    768 x 512
    Image Quality
    -
    Flash
    On

And then some of the not-so-great:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/DPP_5F00_08472.JPG[/img]

Exif:

File name
    DPP_08472.JPG
    Camera Model Name
    Firmware
    -
    Shooting Date/Time
    2/20/2009 19:52:57
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/200Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F5.6
    Metering Modes
    -
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    -
    Focal Length
    55.0 mm
    Image size
    885 x 590

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/DPP_5F00_08473.JPG[/img]

Exif:

File name
    DPP_08473.JPG
    Camera Model Name
    Firmware
    -
    Shooting Date/Time
    2/17/2009 19:29:37
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/200Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F3.5
    Metering Modes
    -
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    -
    Focal Length
    18.0 mm
    Image size
    1024 x 683
    Image Quality
    -
    Flash
    On
    White Balance
    -
    AF mode
    -

And an outside shot:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.17/DPP_5F00_08471.JPG[/img]

Exif:

File name
    DPP_08471.JPG
    Camera Model Name
    Firmware
    -
    Shooting Date/Time
    3/1/2009 14:53:04
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/4000Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F6.3
    Metering Modes
    -
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    -
    Focal Length
    45.0 mm
    Image size
    822 x 547
    Image Quality
    -
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance
    -
    AF mode
    -

Thanks in advance!!

The last two of the child seem to be focused behind the child.

I'd suggest trying the center point for autofocus, and paying attention to where that lands and blinks before you squeeze down all the way.

1 and 4 are not bad (I like the first one). 2 and 3 (to me) are low light challenged. An external flash bounced off the ceiling (or wall) and you'll have a much better image.

A slow lens like the one you are using will be slower focusing in low light also and this can cause images like 2 & 3.

Your camera is fine you just need to get it more light to work with. Try the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens as a starting point. It's fast and very reasonably priced. If you have some place near you where you can rent lenses try the Sigma 30mm and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 to see which suits you best. For a flash recomendation try the Canon 430 EX or 430 EX II.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the help!

Basically, I look at my friend's flickr page, and it drives me nuts. I admit, I'm an impatient person, and want to get to the point where I'm taking shots that look this good:

<span style="color: #800080;"][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jodimckee/3298762448/in/photostream/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jodimckee/3298762448/in/photostream/[/url]

<span style="color: #800080;"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jodimckee/3317073161/in/photostream/

She's shoting with a Rebel XTi, so the difference is not in the camera body. So I'm trying to figure out if it's the technique, setting, lenses, or both. I have a lot to learn!

The lens your friend used for these shots is the EF50mm f/1.4 USM, which is a marvelous lens and is one of my favorites.