Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New DSLR owner having problems

Re: New DSLR owner having problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I avoid the use of a flash even though I've got the EX430.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I would like to avoid the flash too, but indoors I simply can't stop a 20-month old. So, I think I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow

I avoid the use of a flash even though I've got the EX430.

I would like to avoid the flash too, but indoors I simply can't stop a 20-month old. So, I think I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and go from there.
    Why are we avoiding the flash?

To me, it seems the on-board flash gives the picture an unnatural "washed-out" look. Then again, I am an admitted beginner. But I also know people use alternative flash methods for a reason. I prefer ambient light. The only problem is, I don't have a lens that can effectively use it indoors most of the time.

To me, it seems the on-board flash gives the picture an unnatural "washed-out" look. Then again, I am an admitted beginner. But I also know people use alternative flash methods for a reason. I prefer ambient light. The only problem is, I don't have a lens that can effectively use it indoors most of the time.
    May I suggest a little experiment? Get a subject that will stand still for a few minutes (a wife can work ok for this), and using the kit lens and the on-board flash indoors, take a series of pictures: In "P" mode, pick a distance, and take a picture at each focal length on the lens. Then at the longest focal lenth, have the subject's head and shoulders fill the focus points area, take a picture, then move to the next shortest focal length, and move in closer to have the exact same framing as the previous photo. Do that for each of the focal lengths as well. Be sure your subject is always at the center of the frame.

The point of the exercise is to establish a baseline to work from. How do the the photos come out at each given situation? This is about the quality of the image lighting, so don't worry about the "perspective issues" that come with using short focal lengths up close. Do all photos have the same quality? Are some better or worse than others?

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You're going to get different results from green-box and P than you will with Av or Tv, and "unpredictable" results with M (until you truly understand how flash works). I shoot in Av at least 95% of the time (actually, I shoot in Av nearly 100% of the time, but sometimes put my camera in P if others might be using it). With Av (or Tv), you'll get a well-exposed background and far less "washout" in most cases, though you'll initially end up with horrendously long shutter speeds until you learn to juggle aperture/ISO/shutter well.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I do use my 430EX occasionaly to stop motion or when I have no other choice but prefer the look of natural light shots. I'm looking forward to eventualy getting a 530EX to control my 430EX off camera but it's a low priority to me.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I do use my 430EX occasionaly to stop motion or when I have no other choice but prefer the look of natural light shots. I'm looking forward to eventualy getting a 530EX to control my 430EX off camera but it's a low priority to me.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why don't you get a cheap set of radio flash triggers from www.gadgetinfinity.com, or else try ebay. There are several cheap triggers out there that will give you off-camera flash without having to pay an arm and a leg. The only thing is you'll have to set your flash power manually. It's certainly worth the $35-$40 investment, though.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]DO NOT GET A 50MM LENS, on a 1.6 crop it becomes an 80mm and for indoor shots of the family way to long, my favourite lens would be a 28mm (at 1.6x =45mm).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The 1.8 is a very nice lens, but I use the 2.8 and it is great. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]P.S. (Please excuse those people that are asking you to sell a kidney to get a lens, it seems some people just like to show-off.)