Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just got a $700 christmas bonus. need some opinions on what to spend it on.

Definitely not a 60D, for the same reasons as Sean and Neuro. I also feel like it is actually a downgrade from the 50D. The 50D is a good body, has AFMA and fits your budget and current lenses. However, for most of what I would guess you'll be doing for your church, I would say keep your current kit and add a 5D. That body, coupled with the 24-70, is going to be an excellent all around combo for architecture, landscapes and group shots, and some wider portraits. This gives you the flexibility, with the existing 30D, for high-quality shots from 24mm to an effective focal length of 480mm. I do think you should add a flash, since you don't seem to have one now based on the inclusion of the 430EX in the first list, but that may have to come later if budget doesn't allow right now. Going with a full frame and a crop body also gives you the freedom to get some really good glass down the road with the flexibility of using it on either body.

Congrats on the bonus, BTW, and on being able to use it for gear. If I get one this year, I will be using it to pay my mortgage.

Here are my thoughts. Without more info on what you shoot it is hard o be precise, but I would go with a 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8 . This. Gives you two great low light options and can help you with what I would assume would be an issue with high ISOs on the 30D. I is amazing how much 1.4 can help over 2.8 in your 24-70 in a low light environment.

However, a 5D would help with low light some, as well as solve your wide angle issue for the most part.

What do you like to shoot or shoot often?
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I would get some fast primes

50mm 1.4
    85 mm 1.8

should fall in your budget, also look on canon refurbished site for great deals.

I think with your present set up you lack the ability to shoot in low light and to create bokeh
    i second this

Buy stock in Canon (CAJFF $46.77). Wait until everyone else spends THEIR Christmas bonus on new Canon lenses. When your stock has tripled, sell; then you can buy whatever new body or lens you want.