Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on new laptop / desktop

Hi Team,
    Thanks so much for the information. From the information contained above I have decided on getting a desktop, I have had a look at the 27' imac but with all those inclusions of what you guys suggest, it's going to cost upwards of 3800 with the 3.1ghz / 16gb / 1tb + 256gb SSD. With this in mind I think that I can definitely do a lot better building a system myself and just purchasing a 27' Dell monitor.

Can someone give me a basic rundown as to how you manage / transfer / store your your images because I am a little confused; (SSD / HDD / OS on a different disc)

I am guessing that you store your pics on a stand alone HDD - but what do you use to work on your images so that it's quicker!

Thanks again
    Tony

Hi Tony,

I store my originals on my HD. I use 2 externals for back-up. I do not work off the externals as its too slow.
    I don' use a card reader - I use the manufacturer-provided USB2 cable, connected from my camera to my computer, to transfer images to my HD. I then import the images into my editing program which is Lightroom 3.
    As I edit the originals, I delete the rejects off the HD from LR3. When I am satisfied I have the originals wittled down, I back up to the 2 externals.

That's how I do it for now...until I get a RAID drive, that is, and work off of it, lol

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by weewillo View Post
    Hi Team,
    Thanks so much for the information. From the information contained above I have decided on getting a desktop, I have had a look at the 27' imac but with all those inclusions of what you guys suggest, it's going to cost upwards of 3800 with the 3.1ghz / 16gb / 1tb + 256gb SSD. With this in mind I think that I can definitely do a lot better building a system myself and just purchasing a 27' Dell monitor.

Can someone give me a basic rundown as to how you manage / transfer / store your your images because I am a little confused; (SSD / HDD / OS on a different disc)

I am guessing that you store your pics on a stand alone HDD - but what do you use to work on your images so that it's quicker!

Thanks again
    Tony
    Here's what I do:

I use a card reader, and after a shoot (sometimes days later, if I'm feeling lazy), I pull the pictures off the card, buy I do not recycle the memory card yet. The pictures are copied to a work directory. Here I sort the good from the bad, and do any other postprocessing. Once this is done, I move the entire project folder to the archilve (include all raw files, any intermediate HDR of Gimp (I'm too cheap to get photoshop) to my archive, and burn a copy to DVD, and copy the archive to another machine.

Once this is done, then I reuse the memory card. I will reformat it when I insert it into the camera. This way, there is a clean filesystem and less chance for file fragmentation, in case I ever need to recover lost data.

Note that I am an amateur, and this is not foolproof, but it is good enough for my sense of comfort.

-joe