Thread: 5d MK III - what will be the updated features

5d MK III - what will be the updated features

Any guesses - the 1dx sensor at 18m? What software updates/features?

Mirror less or translucent or some other nifty configuration?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

A built-in coffee maker? 4G-connectivity for a dedicated connection to Canon's Image Gateway and the new Canon App Store?

Seriously, I think either 30+ MP, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type, no zones or spot AF), 63 zone metering, slightly improved build vs current, <3 fps and a late 2012/early 2013 launch -or- 1D X sensor, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type points, same limited spread as 5DII), 63 zone metering, similar build to current, ~4.3 fps, and a late summer/fall 2012 launch.

Basically, the richer the feature set, the longer the delay. The 5DII cannibalized 1DsIII sales, they'll want more differentiation. Since 30+ MP would be 'better' than the 1D X (based on Canon's historical view of MP, which they reversed with the 1D X and now seem to espouse Nikon's view), if they make the 5D a high MP camera, they'll aim it for studio/landscape use only - weak AF and slow frame rate.

Cool, 4G connectivity, does that mean I'll be able to just sit in bed and download images straight to the camera. Being a 5D I should be able to download video as well and I wouldn't be surprised if there are stereo speakers, built in and a 3D LCD.
    I agree with a 2012/2013 announcement date, the "launch date" concept doesn't ever happen. Delivery date 2012/2014ish.
    Wonder if I'll be able to order groceries and have them delivered with the 5D, medical diagnosis, hmmm....
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I'm counting on the 5D3 to be a 1DX sensor in a 5D2 body, priced about $2.5-3k at launch, and probably won't see it on a shelf before next xmas.

I still think (hope?) there will be a 30+ MP monster, but called a 2/3/4D, priced $3-4k, maybe a tiny bit better specs than the 5D2, to be announced the day after the Nikon D800.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I think either 30+ MP, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type, no zones or spot AF), 63 zone metering, slightly improved build vs current, <3 fps and a late 2012/early 2013 launch -or- 1D X sensor, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type points, same limited spread as 5DII), 63 zone metering, similar build to current, ~4.3 fps, and a late summer/fall 2012 launch.

Basically, the richer the feature set, the longer the delay. The 5DII cannibalized 1DsIII sales, they'll want more differentiation. Since 30+ MP would be 'better' than the 1D X (based on Canon's historical view of MP, which they reversed with the 1D X and now seem to espouse Nikon's view), if they make the 5D a high MP camera, they'll aim it for studio/landscape use only - weak AF and slow frame rate.
    You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong.

Another way they could keep the 5DIII from cannibalizing 1DX sales is to make it more expensive. (Kind of like Nikon does with the D3 and the D700- the price difference isn't that great.) If the 5DIII had a 7D like AF and cost $4000, I would want it.

A built-in coffee maker? 4G-connectivity for a dedicated connection to Canon's Image Gateway and the new Canon App Store?
    too funny

Seriously, I think either 30+ MP, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type, no zones or spot AF), 63 zone metering, slightly improved build vs current, <3 fps and a late 2012/early 2013 launch -or- 1D X sensor, minimal AF improvement (9 cross type points, same limited spread as 5DII), 63 zone metering, similar build to current, ~4.3 fps, and a late summer/fall 2012 launch.

I like the 4G connectivity, especially if I can get it hooked up through my wireless provider and download it directly to my computer from the field.

I don't think the 5D III cannibalizing 1D X will be an issue. Initially when the 1D X was released it left us a bit in shock, after all most people were looking for a 1Ds replacement. After I thought about it a while, the 1D X really isn't a 1Ds III replacement, it is a 1D IV replacement that is full frame. Just listen and read Canon's propaganda ad's, all the comparisons are to the 1D IV. With the 1.3 sensor going in mothballs, 1D IV shooters will migrate to the 1D X.

I throw out this scenario, perhaps Canon knew that the 1D X sensor wouldn't meet the desires of landscape and studio shooters.

Possibly this is why we are seeing the 5D II discounted below $2,000 now, Canon is clearing the supply chain. Early next year we will see the announcement of a new 5D III or something similar, with a high MP count sensor.

I put a few tea leafs in a saucer, did some interpretation and these were the revelations that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I put a few tea leafs in a saucer, did some interpretation and these were the revelations that I have seen.
    Bwahaha!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

The Mega Mega pixel option. Lets assume for the moment that the quality of the tiniest pixel now is dramatically improved. Can the current crop of lenses resolve to this level? Take some of the ulta small 14 mega pixel sensors - expand them to a full frame - do the lenses keep up?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911