Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Time to Praise the Kit Lens

Re: It's Time to Praise the Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Itheone

I get great use out of my kit lens:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.97/KITLENS.jpg[/img]

Relax, I'm just trying to be funny.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Mission accomplished!

I, for one, applaud the OP's intent here - and take it as a challenge to dig up a kit lens and see what I can really do with it. Pushing our boundaries as photographers helps us to grow, and I think this is a perfect opportunity!

Here's mine :

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.07/IMG_5F00_4881.JPG[/img]

Canon EF-S 18-55mm II @ 18 mm, f/8, 2s, 100 ISO

This was taken in Montreal, Quebec (Canada) last summer during the International des Feux Loto-Qu&eacute;bec, a major international fireworks competition that takes place each year. This was the South Korea display, which had to be replanned using a canadian supplier' products because the South Korean team's shipment had been delayed. Although they did not win the competition, I think that it was the best display that year (and I've seen them all), especially considering that it was planned and built almost from scratch in only one week.

My girlfriend and I were then seated in section 9, which is close from being the worst (if not the worst) place to be seated within the Bronze zone. Having paid 10 $ or so per seat (plus our annual membership fee to La Ronde, the theme park where the competition takes place), we were stunned to see that half of your field of view blocked by tall trees.

Somehow, I managed to get this picture with my kit lens and I consider it being my best of the season. The next day after I took this picture, I bought the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM. Even if the IQ and the sharpness are much better with the Sigma, I have not been able to get a picture that is as appealing as this one, at least in my opinion.

Although my kit lens somehow disappoints me with its slowness, I still wanted to pay a tribute to this 200$-ish piece of glass.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]These are Texas Mountain Laurel, taken this morning...<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]Canon XTi, 18-55 Kit Lens, Speedlite 540EZ Flash Bought in 1995, Lumiquest Promax Softbox, camera and flash on Manual, ISO 100

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]55mm, f16, 1/100

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]18mm, f16, 1/100 (I should have used a faster shutter speed to darken the background). Note the additional depth-of-field with the shorter focal length.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Arial;"]

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]These are a few of the best results that I have had with my &ldquo;kit&rdquo; (EF-S 18-55) lens using a Rebel XT (350D).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The Sweat Bee photos were taken in natural light, hand held, with a manual focus.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have found that I get a higher &ldquo;keeper&rdquo; rate when I fine tune the focus manually.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] My lens does best at F/5.6 or F/8.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have been pleasantly surprised when shooting at 30mm and F/5.6 in good light.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]I have since replaced this lens with the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 which I believe is the best glass for the money.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Color and contrast on the Tamron are great! Less post-processing is needed.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o><span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Ibis photo info: Shutter 1/200, F/10, ISO 400, Focal length-55mm
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o><span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Bee photos: Shutter 1/400, F/5.6, ISO 200, Exposure compensation -1/3, Focal length-55mm<font size="5" face="Times New Roman" style="font-size: large;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    </font>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.24/IMG_5F00_0204cropped_5F00_Ibis.jpg[/img]<font size="5" face="Times New Roman" style="font-size: large;"]<font size="5" face="Times New Roman" style="font-size: large;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    </font></font>
    <font size="5" face="Times New Roman" style="font-size: large;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    </font>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: large; font-family: Times New Roman;"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.24/Bee0730_2D00_091852_2D00_03.jpg[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.24/Bee0730_2D00_091856_2D00_03.jpg[/img]</o>

LOL First off, This is an AMAZING forum and site. I have gone from extreme beginner to a skilled beginner from all of the great info and help from pics posted here. I think the sunset/sunrise pictures you took are great. It is about luck first hand, skill second hand and gear third hand. I love that there are so many beginners to experts that write on this site. It makes me a better photographer reading the critiques and experiences of all that post on this forum. Meta data on the sunset pics would be appreciated. Look forward to seeing any pics posted with a 1Ds MIII or a digital rebel XT. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by GSPhoto

LOL First off, This is an AMAZING forum and site. I have gone from extreme beginner to a skilled beginner from all of the great info and help from pics posted here. I think the sunset/sunrise pictures you took are great. It is about luck first hand, skill second hand and gear third hand. I love that there are so many beginners to experts that write on this site. It makes me a better photographer reading the critiques and experiences of all that post on this forum. Meta data on the sunset pics would be appreciated. Look forward to seeing any pics posted with a 1Ds MIII or a digital rebel XT. Thanks again.
    Thanks. The sunset/sunrise picture data is - 24mm, f4, 1/40, ISO100 and 21mm, f4, 1/50, ISO 100

I learned a little trick from Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Put the camere in "P" mode, and point the viewfinder above the sun itself. That is, no sun in the frame. Then push the the Exposure Lock button. It's the one with the asterisk "*". Then recompose the viewfinder and shoot. You can do a ton like that in a short period of time. For every exposure, find a new piece of sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

I think the kit lens has a lot of great uses. It serves as a good paper weight. It's an OK hammer when the tripod locks get jammed and my small dog likes to chase it across the floor.

Please stop the insanity!LOL Next, we'll have a thread on the superior IQ of camera phones.

In this case, I&rsquo;m sorry for posting here; I did not realize that this forum is dedicated only to professionals. So, if my lens is not an &ldquo;L&rdquo;-lens, then, according to your theory, I can&rsquo;t achieve a &ldquo;wedding photographer professional&rsquo;s&rdquo; image quality, and therefore may not post, comment, or admire others&rsquo; work derived from using a non-1xD body, and a kit lens? It&rsquo;s a good thing that we&rsquo;re all entitled to our opinions, and are free to express them regardless of how tactful (or not), and smug we may sound.

I didn't say a thing about who could and couldn't post, etc. I hope everyone enjoys this forum and Ithink they should feel free to post whatever they like. My original post was totally tongue-in-cheek.

The simple answer to your question is you cannot achieve the same results with a kits lens that you can "L" series glass. The "L" series lens are simply far better quality andmost allow much larger aperatures at comparable focal lengths. If your work requiresenlargements or you are interested intop image quality you'll gravitate towards this equipment.

I don't only shoot weddings.I shoot sports for the local paper and ado large volume of merchandise workfor calendars and brochures. Tomorrow, I'm shooting helicopter instrumument panels. All of my workrequires image quality beyond what I could achieve with theentry level lens supplied with theRebels.

Okay, here's some stuff I shot today. All images are with a 40D, EF 28-135 mostly at 135, various ISO, various apertures mostly f/5.6.

Enjoy or destroy, let me know either way.

And to everyone I apparently upset...

I have no gripe with amatuers, beginners, professionals or anyone else using this forum. Have fun, post what you like. My original post wasmeant to be funny.

I know the other professionals on this forum have had the same experiences with cell phone cameras and point-and-shoot jockeyswho believe megapixel count equals quality. I don't shoot a wedding these dayswhere there aren't twenty people with cell phone cameras shooting over my shoulder.I have to find that a little funny. I just imgine them goingdown to Eckerds and blowing that baby up to 36 x 54. I know it takes a picture...it just won't look like mine!

I do take image quality seriously becuase my customers enlarge my work and in more than twenty years of photography I've learned the lens is much more important than the body. Ido own a 1DMKII, but I use my XTiall the time. It delivers great results with great glass screwed on the front.

All you offended kit lens guys, don't be so defensive. Have fun and shoot to make yourselves happy.