Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: It's Time to Praise the Kit Lens

Re: It's Time to Praise the Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

It would be easier for me to compare these two images if the brightness were equalized in post processing. May I have your permission to modify and post your images? EDIT: Actually, it would make more sense to do it from the source raw file.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I knowRAW would be better - and I do have the files, not sure how to get them to you - butcan you do it from the full size jpgs on Flickr?

yousendit is one free option. I'll host the raw files on my server after I get them.

Daniel, I couldn't p2p so I just tried to fix it myself then reposted the results in the original posts...

Thanks. I think they look very similar.

Just a couple I like...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.58/Sacramento-Statue.jpg[/img]

World War II Memorialin downtown Sacramento

Canon 40D w/ 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM at 80mm, f/5, 1/100, ISO 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.58/Fiji.jpg[/img]

Bounty Island, Fiji

Canon 40D w/ 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM at 28mm, f/11, 1/250, ISO 100

[quote=I chase light]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Even the old cheap 18-55 non-IS had good resolution and contrast under many circumstances. Would you expect it to out-perform the 17-40 f/4 L that costs about 7 times as much ($700)? Well it does. See for yourself:

[url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=410&amp;Camera=396&amp;Sample=0&am p;FLI=1&amp;API=0&amp;LensComp=100&amp;CameraComp= 396&amp;SampleComp=0&amp;FLIComp=1&amp;APIComp=0][/url]

[/quote]Completely coincidentally, last week I decided to try a comparison of the non-is 18-55 to my 17-40. The subject matter is a nonfactor here, except that it was a beautiful evening. This was less than scientific perfection, but it lends some more evidence to the discussion, I think.

Shooting specs - ISO 200, f/8 and 1/30 of a second handheld on an XSi body, sharpness at plus 3. I matched the focal lengths to the best of my ability but they are not exact; EXIF data shows the 18-55at 22mmand the 17-40at 21mm. No one should ever call me a scientist; sorry to those of you who are better or more demanding at this. I trimmed them all andpasted the 100% crops together in Photoshop. I will post them the "full" web size and a 100% crop from each in separate postings.

PS, I am sorry that I did not know about using one's real name either. My name is James Ducat ([url="http://www.jamesducat.com]www.jamesducat.com[/url]).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.42/17_5F00_40_5F00_18_5F00_55BrighterWeb.jpg[/img]

I like the saturation of the sky and the look of the mountains more in the 17-40. Not sure if it is a result of the processing you applied, but it seems more saturated than the otherwise nearly identical shot below it. The 18-55 shot has a seemingly more detailed foreground, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jhga22

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.58/Fiji.jpg[/img]

Bounty Island, Fiji

Canon 40D w/ 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM at 28mm, f/11, 1/250, ISO 100

Beautiful! Did you use a polarizing filter? The sky is fantastic!

James-

One obvious advantage of the 17-40 is that it makes the horizon straighter. []

Where were those pictures taken? It looks exactly like that in the San Jacinto, Ca area now. Those yellow flowers are all over Riverside county. (Of course, for all I know, you took the picture in Iceland).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

James-

One obvious advantage of the 17-40 is that it makes the horizon straighter. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Where were those pictures taken? It looks exactly like that in the San Jacinto, Ca area now. Those yellow flowers are all over Riverside county. (Of course, for all I know, you took the picture in Iceland).

Horizon straightening is one of the oft overlooked features of the 17-40. Good thing it has it, too, 'cuz otherwise I am done for! []. (I spent so much time worrying about matching framing I forgot about level!)

This is in Redlands, as it happens, facing the San Bernardino mountains (Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are right there), not far from San Jacinto at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

I like the saturation of the sky and the look of the mountains more in the 17-40. Not sure if it is a result of the processing you applied, but it seems more saturated than the otherwise nearly identical shot below it. The 18-55 shot has a seemingly more detailed foreground, though.

There is no post-processing other than thechange I madeto the brightness of the 18-55 at Daniel's suggestion to match the lenses.

As I suggested in the earlier post, look at the 100 % crops, the 1/30 sec shutter speed (and shakiness of the photographer, whoever that was; that guy couldn't even get the horizon straight!) had as much to do with the clarity of the shots as lens choice did.