Thread: Flying with Camera gear

Flying with Camera gear

Im coming over to the states soon and ill be with:
    Canon 1DS3, 7d, 24-105, 70-200mk2 16-35, 1x4 extender 300 2.8 500f4 and a whole load of other stuff.
    Ive never carried my stuff internetional. The two big primes have their own cases.

Does anyone have any advice on how i should transport the stuff, security, carry stuff as hand luggage etc. I dont want it lost or damaged.

Thanks

Mick

I'd try to bring it all as carryon, assuming it doesn't exceed the allowances. Note that every paid seat gets the same allowance - possibly useful if you're traveling with kids.

Second option, assuming you have a destination planned, would be pack and ship via FedEx, UPS, etc., perhaps just the 500/4.

Even with carryon, there's always a chance you'll be forced to check at the gate or on the plane. So, I recommend a hard case - I use a Pelican Storm im2500. I do have the version with padded dividers, but I don't use them. Instead, I found that I can load up my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW and stuff that into the hard case. I have a pair of SearchAlert locks for the case. Then, it's all safe during the travel, I have some (marginal) security for anything I want to leave in the hotel, and I have a good way to carry my gear into the field at my destination.

Happy travels!

--John

I've been looking for an airline compatible Pelican case and your idea of using your backpack for an insert is genius.
    And I did not know about the SearchAlert Locks.
    Do you find you use the wheels?

The wheels are great in the airport, if nothing else.

These are the locks I use: http://www.tamperseal.com/searchaler...rjr06du4kb1jg6

I have a Pelican 1510. Supposedly the largest legal size for carry on. Doesn't hold as much as I'd hoped with the padding configuration, so it's usually just my overflow case. Also have a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. The Think Tank holds an amazing amount of gear and looks like a simple brief case. It won't work for super-tele's but it will hold a bunch of everything else. I could probably carry both on to the plane, one as a personal item and the other as the carry one, but I've never tried. I like John's concept though, might have to adopt that idea and toss the Urban Disguise inside the Pelican and get rid of the padding.

I travel with the Think Tank "Airport Addicted 2.0", which is the largest size bag you can legally bring on board. It would carry everything you've listed, except the 500 f/4. It doesn't offer much protection, so it puts you at a bit of a risk if for some reason you weren't able to bring it on. My strategy has been to get on board the plane near the front of the line, so I can always find an empty bin. Nobody has ever weighed my bag either, which is fortunate because it's over 30 lbs.

I second the carry on notion. It's the best way, really. Like others posted, I also purchased the largest bag allowed by most airlines. I have a Tamrac Expedition 7x. Holds an astonishing amount of gear.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

You had better check to make sure you are not booked on any puddle jumpers as one of your connecting flights. These are smalll commuter planes - props and small jets. If you have a connection with one of these, then the "largest bag allowed" will not fit in the overhead and there is not much room at your feet... so they they will make you put it in the hold. You would get it back at plane side, but you do have to give it up to the baggage folks who will actually put the extra effort into lifting your bag an extra 2-3 feet before dropping it on the belt, and only heaven knows what they do in the hold were you can not see them.

I like John's suggestion - if anyone is traveling with you, then load them up
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

+1 for pelicans as well as carryons.

While I do not have a 3002.8 or 500/4 I have taken a very larger camera bag on along with my smaller regular travel carryon. I have never had any issues carrying on my camera gear, although I have always checked my travel tripod in one of the clothes bags as I get conflicting reports from TSA about whether I am ok to carry on a tripod. The majority of the say it is ok, but all it takes is one TSA agent to say no and I have to go back and check it.

Are you traveling with others that do not mind being your pack mule?
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2