Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tripod for entry bird photography?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar

Best tripod for entry bird photography?

I'm looking for a tripod that's robust enough to support my 550D w/ battery grip with a 400mm F/5.6 lens. Can someone recommend a good one for me that's around $150 but sturdy enough to be used on the field, and light enough to carry for hours?

Many thanks!

Franco

I've done some research on my own, but not sure which one to pick :S
    The following tripods seem pretty good for the price..
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Camera-Pr...t_12448wt_1163
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pro-Carbon-Fi...ht_2643wt_1163

Your fine using a ballhead with the 400 5.6. ( I own one with the much heavier 7d and battery grip) not really in a position to check your links. Most have a weight rating for the head and sticks separately.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Franco, Welcome to TDP.

When considering tripods for any purpose please keep in mind that a tripod can be as important as a good glass or a good camera to get that tack sharp image so often desired.. especially when shooting birds. Ultimately you pay for what you get. If you can afford to spend a little more I think you would be much happier in the long run. The difference between a $150 and a $250 or $300 tripod is considerable and well worth saving to by the better version. With that said, let's talk tripods:

1st--You didn't mention whether or not your price range included a head (which you will need)---my recommendations are based on the assumption that you also need to purchase a head.

2nd, I am not familiar with either of the tripods you mention, But I am highly skeptical of a $179 CF tripod/head and case combo for that price---The aluminum tripod at this price makes more sense to me---but certainly not what I would recommend, only because I am not familiar with it.

3rd, Just because a tripod/head combo says it can hold 6lbs and your rig is 6 pounds doesn't mean it will hold your camera/lens steady---look for something that can hold at least twice the weight of your camera/lens combo

Given your price range, I can only recommend a good aluminum tripod such as Manfrotto/Bogan. Granted they are a little heavier that CF sticks but you can usually get them around the 4 or 5 pound mark which is easily carried.

This tripod is well respected by many on this forum and seems to fall in your price range (without the head). I have personaly never used it but I have used other manfrotto tripods and found them to be very high quality and reliable.

A good ballhead is also important, but to keep your price range down, I would suggest this ball head which does add a little to your price range, but I think you would be very happy with this combo in the long run.

Hopefully, some others will respond and offer thier insight.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting
    Bob

Yes, I meant tripod with head with price around $150. I've looked into Manfrotto's tripods..they are good, but they are just a bit too expensive for me. I wonder if anyone here have tried the hahnel tripods..or even heard of the brand..cuz the tripod seems pretty decent for my need. supports 5Kg, 150+cm max height...

I've certainly heard of Hahnel, but not sure in what capacity (I don't own any, must have seen it in a shop somewhere).
    But they're certainly not some new start-up, fly-by-night, or cheap chinese crap, take that how you will.

Not sure if this link will work, but there's a search for decent brands in a nice pricerange. I was considering the Manfrotto MK293/4 series at one point, For me they're just a little too short, a little too heavy, and carry not quite enough, but they're nice for the price (instead i'm getting a $300 Carbon Fibre tripod and $200 ballhead, that's the price you pay for 'a little bit better'...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Here's a little more help. The 190xdb by Manfrotto is pretty similar to the pro, but with INconvenient wingnuts instead of quick release leg-locks. Here it is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...egs_Black.html

Right now you can get this tripod with a rebate for $81.77. Add the ball head Bob suggested above and you are under $150. There you go. You could almost upgrade to the bigger 055 series tripod and stay near $150, but you said you wanted portable, and the 190 series is a little more portable; however, not as sturdy as the 055 series. Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...egs_Black.html

Word of caution...you are going to notice the poor quality of the ball head before that of the tripod legs. Read this blog for fun (I followed, and I am still trying to find may way out of, the less efficient direction to purchase a nice tripod and head):

http://bythom.com/support.htm

p.s. I wouldn't buy any of that stuff from the ebay links. The things is...even though the links I provided above don't lead to top-of-the-line tripods, or even the top of the Manfrotto line, they lead to a trusted name-brand product. A brand that will back their product and can be purchased from a reliable dealer like B&H for a very competitive price.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I have a monopod for BIF shots, but with the 400 F/5.6, i'll need a steady tripod to take some still shots..because of its lack of IS

Any chance I could get you to go in the direction of a monopod? Opens the door to better weight and leg locks. You'll hate using a cheap tripod/head. Just speaking from experience. If you have craigslist/want-ads, I'd check there and buy used as an option too. Some other big stores offer used equipment as well.

What's wrong with the 496RC2 ball head?? Because now that i think of it, it's true that I should invest on a better tripod..so I'm now thinking about a 055xprob with 496RC2 ball head..so that i dont need to worry about replacing it for the next decade or so, even though it kinda go over my budget..

Quote Originally Posted by francongphotography View Post
    What's wrong with the 496RC2 ball head?? Because now that i think of it, it's true that I should invest on a better tripod..so I'm now thinking about a 055xprob with 496RC2 ball head..so that i dont need to worry about replacing it for the next decade or so, even though it kinda go over my budget..
    Sounds like a great combo. I've used a 488rc2 and was pleased with the performance. The 498 might be a better choice than the 496 - higher load capacity, separate pan lock, and likely a better match for the 400/5.6.